Sign in to follow this  
ellerb

Redoubt - do you even know what one is? Find out!

thindexedgif.gif Military 10D

A redoubt is an independent fortification without bastions that supports a larger fortification. This type of structure was used in European and North American forts.

One example is a pair of redoubts built by the British at Fort Niagara in 1764. Small cannon mounted on the upper level could fire grape shot at advancing Indian warriors who lacked cannon. These strong points housed soldiers, stored weapons and powder, and provided a last point of defense. This was needed as the original earthen fort walls with wooden palisades, originally built by the French, were extremely large and continually prone to erosion.

Images of the Fort Niagara Redoubts:

http://k41.pbase.com/g3/18/621218/2/55849386.sredoubt.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/g3/18/621218/2/55140537...akeOntario1.jpg

Redoubts are transitional structures from medieval to colonial fortifications. This tradition would continue in blockhouses built for various western forts on the great lakes and great plains. As long as the opponent lacked heavy artillery, this type of tower was effective.

The lower walls of my moc of the South Redoubt needed to be tapered to match the original building. I accomplished this by using snot construction and studs turned on their sides. Certain details such as windows, wooden shutters on upper level, and the brick chimney were not completed in time for the BrickWorld display, but I hope to complete these as well.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Ben

redoubt01.jpg

redoubt.jpg

Thumblinks:

redoubt01.jpg_thumb.jpg redoubt02.jpg_thumb.jpg redoubt03.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edit by Phred: Added thumbs-pics to links and full-sized the main pic.

This is a nice little fortification, did you create an interior for it? The SNOT techniques for the walls work well and define this redoubt.

This is a nice little fortification, did you create an interior for it? The SNOT techniques for the walls work well and define this redoubt.

Unfortunately I can not have the redoubt hinged in half to reveal the interior. Originally this was my plan but the snot construction prevents it. I may be able to make the upper level lift off to view a second floor barracks. Personally, I prefer structures that hinge in half over floors that are lifted off.

Ben

The first link isn't working.

Was this the pic you were looking for? :yoda:

th_55849386sredoubt.jpg

It's great to see ppl make creations outside the norm. :thumbup:

Before Brickworld, i had never even heard of a Redoubt.

There's even a Wiki Article about them. :pir-oh3:

But i see that this link is already in our Wiki Index.

I was real happy to see ellerb bring a Pirate MOC to Brickworld. :pir-cry_happy:

There were only a few pirate MOCs there. :pir-cry_sad:

But that's going to change next year! :pir-grin:

I took a couple of my own pics of this MOC too:

HPIM3849.jpg

HPIM3852.jpg

Hi Ben! This is really great to see you posting here. The last three people to respond in this thread ate lunch in Wheeling IL together last Saturday! :sweet:

I love your redoubt. It's the first time I've seen one of these built in LEGO. Excellent SNOT technique! I really like the way you did the doors as well. Is that triangle above the door called a hanging gable? *huh* Either way, it's a nice way to tackle that LEGO conundrum. I'd like to see a sturdier structure supporting the roof, but that's just a small nitpick. Maybe more detailed or just more solid columns. It's still really unique and well built. I really like it. Thanks for sharing it with us. :thumbup:

The first link isn't working.

Was this the pic you were looking for?

Yes. Thank you.

Hi Ben! This is really great to see you posting here. The last three people to respond in this thread ate lunch in Wheeling IL together last Saturday

Indeed we did.

I love your redoubt. It's the first time I've seen one of these built in LEGO. Excellent SNOT technique! I really like the way you did the doors as well. Is that triangle above the door called a hanging gable? default_huh.gif Either way, it's a nice way to tackle that LEGO conundrum. I'd like to see a sturdier structure supporting the roof, but that's just a small nitpick. Maybe more detailed or just more solid columns. It's still really unique and well built. I really like it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

In general, I like to build structures that other fans do not often build. I am glad you like the snot technique. The triangle is a gable roof. This pediment is a small Georgian detail on an otherwise Mediterranean military tower. The columns supporting the roof and trusses are to scale. Adding the gun port shutters would improve the look of the upper tower.

I hope that it was ok to enlarge the main pic and add thumbs?

Yes. I do not mind ;)

Ben

In general, I like to build structures that other fans do not often build.

I like to try to build types of ships that others haven't made too, like the Turtle Sub. :pir-wink:

I'm thinking you were right about the lack of strucures and structure variety amongst us piratey types.

Maybe i should try to build a structure soon. :pir-blush:

But ships will always be my first love. :pir-wub:

Ben, thank you for sharing your MOC with us!

History fascinates me and I love to learn new aspects when possible! I'm not very familiar with redoubts so I'm curious to see the Fort Niagara Redoubts that you've linked in your first post, but unfortunately the links are broken. Could you please fix them for us? I suppose I could do a Google Image search but I might not find the pictures you intend to show us.

I'm not very familiar with redoubts so I'm curious to see the Fort Niagara Redoubts that you've linked in your first post, but unfortunately the links are broken. Could you please fix them for us?

I think these are the ones he meant to link to:

th_55849386sredoubt.jpg th_55140537NorthRedoubtnearLakeOntario.jpg

These are uploaded onto the pirate forum's photobucket account.

If you copy the link location onto a separate window these are the images that show up. :thumbup:

It looks like you've done an excellent job modeling the gentle slope of the stone sides in brick with the use of SNOT. I know from personal expierence that the incline of such walls, let alone the corners, are slighly too sharp and therefore very difficult for any existing Lego slope element to accurately replicate while still maintaining the separate "block" look. This comes from some experience attempting to built a small Fort Ticonderoga cross-section some time ago.

fort_ticonderoga.jpg

I utterly failed but it seems like you have made out very nicely! Oh, and I really like the door design and the mixing of old and new grey as well, it gives the structure a very authentic weathered look. Outstanding work!

SNOT stands for Studs Not On Top and it's building technique where builders find ways of not exposing the studs on the bricks.