7150 TIE Fighter & Y-wing

Name: TIE Fighter & Y-wing

Theme: Star Wars Episode IV

Set Number: 7150

Pieces: 407

Year released: 1999

Minifigures: 3

Price: Can't remember, but $50.00 according to Peeron

This is one of my favourite OT sets. Love both the ships and and the figs. I don't have the other Y-Wing (#7658: Y-wing Starfighter) or #8017: Darth Vader's TIE Fighter so I can't compare this set to those two (they look good though).

Let's start with the instruction manual.

IMG_7200.jpg

Back.

IMG_7201.jpg

The minifig pages.

IMG_7203.jpg

IMG_7204.jpg

And a random page.

IMG_7206.jpg

At the end of the manual there's a short comic.

IMG_7207.jpg

IMG_7210.jpgIMG_7211.jpg

The minifigs in this set are great: Darth Vader, a Y-Wing Pilot and an R5-D4 Astromech Droid.

IMG_7149.jpg

This was the first set in which Darth Vader appeared and also the first one I got. I know have a couple of him. His cape is a bit tattered and folded because he has been sitting in his TIE for almost ten years now (!).

IMG_7156.jpg

Without his helmet.

IMG_7157.jpg

The Y-Wing Pilot is also a nice fig. Great torso and I like his face :classic: His helmet is also pretty awesome (good pic here: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x164px1).

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7150.jpgIMG_7151.jpg

The last fig is an R5-D4 Astromech Droid. He also appeared in a couple of other sets and I own three of him.

IMG_7154.jpgIMG_7155.jpg

The one thing I hate about this set is that it's called 'TIE Fighter & Y-wing'. It's clearly not a TIE Fighter, but the TIE Advanced x1 (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Advanced_x1). Oh well.

Vader presents his ship.

IMG_7158.jpg

A look at the back.

IMG_7164.jpg

And from the top...

IMG_7165.jpg

...and bottom.

IMG_7176.jpg

The 'wings' are connected by two pins.

IMG_7168.jpg

You can change the wings from this...

IMG_7162.jpg

...to this.

IMG_7159.jpg

A close-up of the printed piece with the Imperial sign on it (it's on both wings).

IMG_7163.jpg

The same piece is also on the top of the cockpit.

IMG_7167.jpg

The cockpit opens up like this.

IMG_7171.jpg

A look inside.

IMG_7172.jpg

Darth Vader is ready to crush some Rebels.

IMG_7173.jpg

There's not really any place for his lightsaber so I just placed it next to him.

IMG_7174.jpg

The next ship is the Y-Wing.

IMG_7175.jpgIMG_7177.jpg

Top and bottom.

IMG_7178.jpgIMG_7190.jpg

Let's have a look at the cockpit.

IMG_7182.jpg

It has a big gun on top which can swing in all directions.

IMG_7183.jpg

The inside of the cockpit.

IMG_7184.jpg

A look from the other side. The slope brick with the trench pattern is also available in a couple of other Star Wars sets.

IMG_7185.jpg

Here is where you can place R5-D4.

IMG_7186.jpg

The back can open up like this. There's nothing to put in though.

IMG_7189.jpg

At the left and right side are two printed pieces.

IMG_7180.jpg

In the middle of the ship is a place to store a container box. The door with the Rebel sign on it is a pretty rare piece.

IMG_7181.jpgIMG_7280.jpg

A look at the engines of the Y-Wing.

IMG_7187.jpg

They are connected by two pins each.

IMG_7188.jpg

The landing gear which can be removed.

IMG_7191.jpg

Luke is lying comfortably inside his cosy little cockpit. Yes, Luke. I put him in accidentally. So don't look for him because he is not included in this set :tongue:

IMG_7193.jpg

IMG_7195.jpgIMG_7194.jpg

And of course R5-D4!

IMG_7192.jpg

And to wrap things up, a look at the complete set.

IMG_7197.jpgIMG_7198.jpg

Price: 9/10 - Pretty cheap in my opinion for two ships.

Parts: 8/10 - Lots of useful pieces and a couple of rare ones.

Playability: 9/10 - Two ships that can 'battle' with each other so that's good :thumbup:

Minifigs: 9/10 - All really good.

Final: 9/10 - Awesome set. Great ships and figs and doesn't cost that much (at least back in the day :tongue: ).

Edited by Mischa07

Thanks for another great review! :classic:

I voted above average because the price is a bit off the normal ratio, and the sets look kinda blocky.

Edited by ILikePi

Good review! :thumbup:

A couple of questions, though. Why is it called R5-D4 when it looks nothing like R5-D4? Also, why did you change to Luke as the pilot part way through?

I voted average because it wasn't a bad set for its time but the newer versions look so much better. Some nice rare pieces, though, like the box and the pilot's helmet.

Well done. :sweet:

Good review! :thumbup:

A couple of questions, though. Why is it called R5-D4 when it looks nothing like R5-D4? Also, why did you change to Luke as the pilot part way through?

No idea why it's called R5-D4.

I hadn't even noticed I put Luke in the cockpit. I made the pictures for this set together with the pictures for #7140: X-wing Fighter (review is coming soon) and must have put him in accidentally :tongue:

I think the empty compartment on the Y-Wing is for storing Vader's lightsaber :wink:

I have to admit the set does look a little blocky and bland...

I have the newer version of this set (released around '04 I think) and I wasn't aware of the compartment in the aft of the Y-Wing. The redesign didn't have it =(

Thanks for the review.

This is one of the very few OT star wars sets I've owned and then sold off. Both the tie and y-wing are very blocky and simplified compared to their later counterparts the 7658 y-wing and the tie advance from the huge tie set with 4 ties in it. Because of the very high standards Lego set, I couldn't do anything but vote this below average (by Lego's high standards). I don't have the latest tie to compare it to but I imagine that's a more sophisticated model than the one reviewed here.

For anyone thinking of picking up this set I'd strongly suggest that you invest in a newer y-wing instead.

Thanks for the review!

Uh...I think that the pictures are messed up now. All of them say "Bandwidth Exceeded" now.

I think the empty compartment on the Y-Wing is for storing Vader's lightsaber :wink:

Yeah, it's possible. But it would be a bit dumb of Vader to store his beloved lightsaber in an Y-Wing, wouldn't it? :tongue:

My apologies for the Photobucket-thing. The pictures should be up again on Wednesday.

Nice review!

i find these two ship waay to blocky for my liking. i prefer the newest t wing and the new tie advanced

This set is so great that I had to buy the rerelease versions as well (7152 & 7262).

Not because I had to since I collect, just because this set rocks.

What could possibly be wrong with getting Y-Wings?, except getting another Vader's Tie?! :thumbdown:

Why oh why didn't they give us a regular TIE Fighter instead?

That's the only 'bad' thing to this great set.

Thanks for reviewing it. :classic:

Nice review!

i find these two ship waay to blocky for my liking. i prefer the newest t wing and the new tie advanced

What's a T-Wing? and which TIE Advanced? The one in 8017?

What's a T-Wing? and which TIE Advanced? The one in 8017?

I think he mean't Y-Wing, as the 'T' is beside the 'Y' on keyboards. (or at least on mine)

And he probably mean't the new Vader's TIE with the Death Star Darth Vader fig and metallic lightsaber.

I guess that is 8017, I don't feel like getting up to dig through instruction manuals to find out.

tlc likes tie advanced a lot, there have been 5 tie x1 designs(actually 6 counting the mini): this one 1999, second with tie collection, ucs version, middle scale from ds, and 10th anniversary one. instead of making the same ship for 5 times, they could give us models that havent been done and are essential in the movies.(like padme's chrome ship)

also y-wing fighter's head was first used in green space police sets.

Edited by Artizan