When the MCTC claimed the island of Ferro Azure for Eslandola, the plentiful fields of indigo plants were a prime reason. With a royal cotton plantation (and several privately owned cotton plantations) and a royal textile factory, the production of textiles is the MCTC’s (and perhaps Eslandola’s) biggest enterprise. But the dyes used in the textile factory have to come from somewhere, and for indigo, that somewhere is Ferro Azure -- specifically the new indigo dye factory on the outskirts of Salida Este.

01z_alt_overview.jpg

First the indigo plants are harvested and brought to the factory. Here a worker is coming to unload a wagon just in from the fields.

03_indigo_plants_come_in.jpg

The workers then fill one of the processing pits with indigo leaves and water.

04_plants_into_pit.jpg

Water for this process is drawn from the river and stored in a cistern next to the processing pits.

02_water.jpg

When the processing pit is full, a wooden frame is laid on top of the leaves and weighted down with stones.

05_weights.jpg

Over time, the leaves ferment into a stinky blue muck. When fermenting is complete, the muck is drained into another pit.

06_pour_it_out.jpg

Here workers stir and agitate the muck to a regular consistency, and then load it bucket by bucket into barrels.

07_agitate.jpg

The barrels are then rolled over to the processing house.

08_barrels_to_processing.jpg

Inside, the indigo is poured into molds and baked into small bricks. These bricks can then be easily transported in crates, and once at their destination can be boiled into a liquid form.

09_bricks_ready.jpg

With the opening of this new indigo dye factory, the MCTC adds another component to its textile business.

01_overview.jpg

I had to rush to get this in by the end of July to license it as a large factory. I would have liked to detail an interior for the building, but I didn’t think it was interesting enough to warrant the extra work, which kind of took on a life of its own in recent weeks. And I couldn’t find my notes on the full manufacturing process, so I had to write it up from memory; I’m sure there are some details I’ve left out. But, I still found it interesting researching this build, and I hope you like it. All C&C welcome

Brilliant! I really like the description of the process and the build to go with it is great as usual! Details that really stood out for me are: the way you've overhung the roof and supported with wooden columns; the way the dark tan ground steps down the level and the 'stinky blue muck' draining into the bottom level. Great build and accompanying information. You MCTC members are really killing the all aspects of the textile industry!

Very nice plantation, great to get a breakdown of how that works! :thumbup:

I really enjoy how you always explain the process behind your builds, Capt Wolf, and this one does not disappoint! pirate_wink.gif Excellent job showing the dye extraction, and of course I'm glad that there is now more dark blue in the world! pir_laugh2.gif The cart and the lowering pits are a couple of my favorite details here :thumbup: Keep it up! (though you should have joined the ETWC, default_laugh_new.gif)

Thanks to everyone for the comments. FYI, I found my notes, and among the details I forgot is that lime is added to the first pit; that's a key element in getting the fermentation going.

Brilliant! I really like the description of the process and the build to go with it is great as usual! Details that really stood out for me are: the way you've overhung the roof and supported with wooden columns; the way the dark tan ground steps down the level and the 'stinky blue muck' draining into the bottom level. Great build and accompanying information. You MCTC members are really killing the all aspects of the textile industry!

Thanks! The roof overhang was something I always wanted in this build. And when I found that dark blue round brick, I knew it was perfect for this build. Although, after finding my notes on the process, I think the muck doesn't turn blue until after it's moved to the second pit and agitated. It's the oxidation that turns it blue. So if I ever do this again, I need to see if that round brick comes in dark green.

Also, although my dark tan ground is still monochrome, it was one of your builds that inspired some of the texture techniques in it, so thanks!

Very nice plantation, great to get a breakdown of how that works! :thumbup:

Thanks. The research into the process is half the fun of the build.

I really enjoy how you always explain the process behind your builds, Capt Wolf, and this one does not disappoint! pirate_wink.gif Excellent job showing the dye extraction, and of course I'm glad that there is now more dark blue in the world! pir_laugh2.gif The cart and the lowering pits are a couple of my favorite details here :thumbup: Keep it up! (though you should have joined the ETWC, default_laugh_new.gif)

Thanks. I don't really set out to explain the process, but it just seems to make sense when I sit down to write about it. And this build was a great excuse to buy some dark blue pieces! pir_laugh2.gif

As for joining the ETWC, I'm sure we can find a way to join forces in the near future. pirate_wink.gif

You did a good job explaining the process. The build looks great.

Thanks!

Excellent creation, very cleverly designed, great details included.

A blue future lies ahead of you! pirate_laugh2.gif

Thanks! Blue skies, blue seas, those sound good. But I don't want the blues. pir_laugh2.gif

Edited by Capt Wolf

This is a seriously well researched and built moc. I knew plants were producing indigo dyes but i could never have guessed the proccesses in between!

Great looking factory, Capt Wolf. As always, I really enjoy how you depict the full process - it shows how well researched your builds are (even for a minor forgetfulness ;) ).

The different basins, the water supply and the wagon are great details, The landscaping finishes it off nicely, and the buildings are perfect. All in all, great build!

This is a seriously well researched and built moc. I knew plants were producing indigo dyes but i could never have guessed the proccesses in between!

Thanks. I never would have guessed the process, either. Researching it was fun.

Absolutely great, and a well-deserved front page.

Thanks. And I was quite surprised by the front page. That's a first for me. Woo-hoo! pirate_classic.gif

Great looking factory, Capt Wolf. As always, I really enjoy how you depict the full process - it shows how well researched your builds are (even for a minor forgetfulness ;) ).

The different basins, the water supply and the wagon are great details, The landscaping finishes it off nicely, and the buildings are perfect. All in all, great build!

Thank you! There are some things I didn't quite get right with the basins, but I'm still happy with how they turned out. And I think I'm improving with my landscaping, but still have plenty of room to grow in that area. But I'm very glad people like these "process" builds. Thanks!

Great build, I especially love the House and the processing pits are a Nice detail!

Great build indeed!

Excellent cart design from what I can see, the aqueduct and how the water flows in the pool is very nicely done

Very nice creation, I like all the activity there is going on to produce the indigo.

I do wonder where the water actually cones from though. pir_laugh2.gif

Thanks. But shhhh! regarding where the water comes from. There's supposed to be access to a river along the back left corner, but it didn't get incorporated into the build very well. That's why the waterwheel is so hidden. I think I was inspired by M.C. Escher. pir_wacko.gif

There are so many great details in this build! I like that you researched and portrayed the entire process. I am particularly fond of the raised water trough. I would have liked to have seen the water wheel even if it wasn't properly attached to a river. I also like the wagon, and the red roof. Another great build!

I would have liked to have seen the water wheel even if it wasn't properly attached to a river.

I've already started taking this apart, but I could still get a pic of the waterwheel (although the trough is gone), so here it is. It's not that it's not attached to a river, it's that the physics don't work in all sorts of ways. Among them, the wheel was too small for the height of the trough taking the water to the cistern.

waterwheel_-_edited.jpg