81 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

I've had the Power Puller on my Bricklink wanted list for quite a while. One popped up for way under the going rate, but missing a couple bits, the box, and the video tape. Not a problem - I ordered it immediately and then had to wait about a month while it crossed the ocean.

Before we get to the Lego set though, I'm sure many people don't even know what Tractor Pulling (aka Power Pulling) is. You can read the article on wikipedia here, or just take a look at the youtube video below. Basically, a large tractor pulls a heavy sled down a dirt track as far as it can. If more than one makes it all the way, they add weight and pull again. The tractor that pulls the heaviest weight the farthest wins.

Name: Power Puller

Set Number: 8457

Pieces: 979

Price: $100 (originally - I can't find a reference to European pricing)

Ages: 9+

Minifigs: 1 Technicfig

Theme: Technic

Year of Release: 2000

Links: Bricklink Peeron Brickset

The Technic Power Puller Manual

5528989327_baae97c27b_z_d.jpg

Back in these days, you only got one manual, rather than the multiple books of modern sets. For this manual, they used a nice photo of the power puller popping a wheelie, photoshopping it onto a dirt track with crowded stands behind. Strangely, you can barely see the sled it's pulling at all.

The Manual

5529577762_f6f8a6ec7c_z_d.jpg

Sure, it's only one book, but it's BIG. I mean 159 pages big! So big they color-coded the bottom corners so you can find things easier in it.

Inside the Front Cover

5529578094_c9921fcd5e_z_d.jpg

Inside the front cover of the manual is this collection of images. There's a nice mix of the set and real scenes of power pulling. Lego apparently sponsored a real tractor to promote Technic back then.

The Table of Contents

5528991137_b1c13f3874_z_d.jpg

This manual is so big it needs a table of contents to guide you. Since Lego avoids text whenever possible, they made a photographic table of contents. The tractor and sled are obviously the big components, but you also have the various modifications you can make indicated on the right. The colors of the triangles match the color coded corners of the book.

A Sample Page

5528991765_b70a355853_z_d.jpg

Here's one sample page from the manual. It's very clear, and helped by the fact that there's only black and light grey in the set, no dark blue or dark grey to get confused. The background is a subtle brushed metal look, and there insets on yellow of sub-structures that need assembled. Each page has the parts inset in a box with what looks like an old Mac style menu bar on it.

The Centerfold

5529580724_86653718b0_z_d.jpg

After building the tractor and sled, you're greeted with another Photoshopped image of the set in a stadium. The left images show how to reset the weight (battery box) after a run. Those images show engines on the tractor, which haven't been built yet. The main photo correctly shows the tractor bare. It also is correct in showing a large wheelie, since the set indeed wheelies badly if there are no engines installed on the tractor.

Gentlemen, Pick Your Engines!

5528993517_630ef31ca3_z_d.jpg

Rather than the standard B-model, this set has instructions for three different engine configurations for the tractor. Of course, it's purely cosmetic since they're not actually the power source of the tractor. However, it's nice to have some selection like this. You can build 5 V4 engines, 3 V6s, or a pair of V8s.

Modifying the Tractor

5529581708_b9e0e9f313_z_d.jpg

I just LOVE this part of the manual. Lego is actually trying to teach some basic physics here. They include spare gears in the set so you can swap them out to see what difference it makes. I question their indications of muscles though - the top setup will be slower but have more torque, so I'd think that one would generally be considered "stronger." However, there's an error. It shows the alternate gearing being two 20-tooth double bevel gears. That doesn't fit. The actual instructions following show it correctly - putting the 20-tooth in the tractor and a 12-tooth double bevel on the motor.

Adding More Muscle

5528994459_7f0802ae68_z_d.jpg

If you have the motor set, you can even add a second motor and battery pack to boost the tractor even further. Again, there are two gearing setups shown.

Other Add-Ons

5528994973_07a3c2f400_z_d.jpg

At the time this set came out, Lego also offered the Speed Computer, an electronic display and sensor setup that would measure RPMs. The manual includes instructions on how to integrate it into each of the 3 engine variants on the model - I'm not sure why, since the last method attaches it directly to the rear axle and would work for any of the 3 layouts.

Adding the Speed Computer

5529583478_01d9e94508_z_d.jpg

Unusually, the instructions for adding the Speed Computer are actual photos rather than the usual drawings.

Web Extras

5529584180_75163b8c19_z_d.jpg

Wow, talk about dated. This is actually screenshots from Netscape Navigator on a Mac. Sadly, the lego.com/powerpuller site no longer exists.

The Yellow Technic Liftarm, 1x6 Thin

5528996949_47595b40a4_z_d.jpg

For some reason, this is the only set to include this part. 74 sets have included it in other colors, but only the power puller had it in yellow. You do get 8 in this set, but it still makes the part sell for over $1.50 EACH, when you can find them.

The Flex System

5528997751_d278bd525a_z_d.jpg

This set is also one of the few to use the old Flex System parts. It's a thin plastic cable that accepts connectors at each end. It's usually routed through an outer tube so that it can move to transfer motion. In this set it's used for the steering linkage rather than the usual axles, gears, and gear racks that we're used to.

Flex System Ends

5528998241_02fe213399_z_d.jpg

Here's the ends of the flex system rod. It goes into the connector and the connector snaps shut around it. Unfortunately, the cable gets brittle with age and can break in the connector, so these parts are getting more rare to find.

The Tires

5528998913_a452d69553_z_d.jpg

Ok, time for the highlight of the set. The Power Puller includes the largest tires Lego ever made. That's a standard 4-wide car, about to be crushed by these massive wheels.

Tire Comparison

5528999849_f8280eb76c_z_d.jpg

Yes, the Power Puller wheels are large. Shown here are (front to back) a standard Lego wheel, a larger wheel from the 8053 Mobile Crane, the big wheels from the 8297 Off Roader, and the Power Puller wheel.

Tire Comparison 2

5529000453_de3d699432_z_d.jpg

The Power Puller wheels are especially large in the width dimension.

The Driver

5529000941_d9610376d2_z_d.jpg

Back in the day, there were Technic Figures. Sadly, they're not made anymore. This figure is the Power Puller driver, found only in this set. My set came without him, so the replacement figure cost me $20 on Bricklink.

The Stig

5529001583_3d0518115e_z_d.jpg

Some say his skin is the same color as his race suit... and that he bends in ways no other person can. All we know is, he's called the Stig's Yellow Cousin. (if you don't get any of that, go online and find video of the excellent British car show Top Gear...)

The Driver

5529589758_55b28d3a5a_z_d.jpg

The Technic figures are very flexible. Every joint is articulated, and most are even ball and socket for extra movement. Oddly, he's got pin holes on his legs. I guess it's no different than minifigs having stud holes on the back of their legs, but they're more noticible here.

Building the Puller, Part 1

5529590320_e56bdafc5c_z_d.jpg

Nicely, the build begins by making the frame of the tractor. There's obviously the back axle in place (note the lack of differential, since you wouldn't want that in a power puller anyway). The oddly placed red perpendicular joiner up front will have the flex cable routed through it.

Building the Puller, Part 2

5529003439_5fcf7b68b4_z_d.jpg

The drivetrain comes next. The gears here will connect the motor (at the back gear) to the rear axle and forward to the motors. The door rails in the back will support the motor when it's added. One key trick they used is somewhat hard to see. Right in the center of the photo, there's a thick liftarm going vertical with the axle through it. It's actually HANGING on the axle, with the 20 tooth gear attached lower down. That gear engages the gear on the rear axle to make the wheels turn. Basically, this means that when the motor is powering, that liftarm moves and powers the wheels. When the motor turns off, the gears shove the liftarm sideways, disconnecting the motor so the wheels can spin freely.

Building the Puller, Part 3

5529004025_69b76f17de_z_d.jpg

The cockpit comes next. The towball on the steering shaft will connect to one end of the flex cable to push and pull on the steering mechanism up front, once we build it.

Building the Puller, Part 4

5529004523_20c7c4596f_z_d.jpg

As usual on the studded constructions, vertical liftarms are pinned to the outside to hold the structure together.

Building the Puller, Part 5

5529005127_d7ec343d1d_z_d.jpg

It's almost done. The steering is in place, as are the "fenders" and wing. Sadly, that is a giant STAMP (STicker Across Multiple Parts, for those who don't know that acronym) back there - five 4x4 tiles with one big sticker across them. Oh, and see those angle connector 4's holding the edges of the wing up? There's two in the set, and this is the only set to have them in yellow. So like the thin liftarms, if you need these for a MOC, you're looking at at least a dollar each, if you can find any.

Building the Puller, Part 6

5529005569_afc6338317_z_d.jpg

Ok, back to the serious building. Here is the finished steering mechanism. The flex cable pulls on the side of the cam, moving the front point of it side to side. That shoves the short flex cables sideways, angling the front wheels. Well, at least in theory. Maybe it's because my set is old and well used, but there's a TON of slop in this. The front wheels can move a lot without the steering wheel turning at all, and they can even point in different directions.

Building the Puller, Part 7

5529593898_de7b2db99b_z_d.jpg

The tractor, finished. Or at least the manual says so. Yes, it's missing the engines up front, but that's because they're a separate construction later in the manual. All the wheels are on and it's ready to roll.

Building the Puller, the Back

5529006695_a5c08c3703_z_d.jpg

The 9v motor mounts in the rear. The motor is held in by the two red pins at the bottom, so it's easily removed to modify gearing. Above is the ball for connecting the trailer.

Underneath the Tractor

5529595070_a887c200db_z_d.jpg

From underneath, you can see how simple this build really is. There's lots of open space compared to modern Technic builds. You can also see the swinging arm with the 20 tooth gear - in this photo it's swung off to the side and disengaged.

Building the Trailer, Part 1

5529595742_a547d6e5ce_z_d.jpg

Like the tractor, the trailer begins by building a frame.

Building the Trailer, Part 2

5529008407_f540c05b6b_z_d.jpg

Next a slide unit is constructed. This will slide along the frame and have the battery box mounted on it.

Building the Trailer, Part 3

5529008855_2eb0db226a_z_d.jpg

The slide is added to the trailer and the first elastic band goes on. This photo shows the basic function of the trailer: The wheels will attach to the white axles in the front, driving the yellow drum via the gears on this side. That drum will wind up the elastic band, pulling the battery box forward. Later, a second elastic cord will be added in the other direction to create resistance (in a real puller, the front of the trailer slides on the dirt rather than using wheels, so as the weight box moves forward, it gets harder and harder to pull).

Building the Trailer, Part 4

5529597198_b20240e504_z_d.jpg

The trailer is complete. The battery box has a large sticker showing you how to connect the wire. The hitch at the front is ready to connect to the tractor, and the mudguards are ready to guard against flying mud.

Building the V4 Engines, Part 1

5529597690_02e09ec273_z_d.jpg

The tractor needs some ridiculous motors to be complete, so let's start by building a module with 5 V4 engines. The first step is constructing a gearbox to handle connecting all those engines together.

Building the V4 Engines, Part 2

5529010313_803a06b777_z_d.jpg

The central gearbox and mounting structure is done. At the back (unseen here) is a gear that mates with the output of the actual motor in the tractor. That rotation comes forward and is distributed out to a pair of axles on each side to drive the V4s.

Building the V4 Engines, Part 3

5529010765_014ce06126_z_d.jpg

If you've built any other Technic vehicles with piston engines, you'll understand how these are built. The clear blocks aren't seen much anymore, but otherwise it's a basic V4 configuration with a few extra decorations.

Building the V4 Engines, Part 4

5529011259_134c2ac43b_z_d.jpg

The V4 setup is complete. The chains on each engine are purely for show. In a real motor they'd be driving a blower on top, but here, they just spin gears to look cool. You can see the gears on the back of the unit - the top gear drives the top engine, while the lower gear drives the other 4. Inside there's a gearing though, which means that the top engine spins at a different speed than the other 4.

Finally, a Finished Tractor

5529599848_bd4e6c35a4_z_d.jpg

Mounting the engines to the tractor is simple - slide it in, and then push in a red pin on each side to hold it in place. NOW the tractor looks complete.

Tim Allen Would Be Proud

5529012571_504b60c456_z_d.jpg

The recipe for a tractor pull - minimal frame, huge tires in the back, and as much power up front as you can scrape together.

The Complete Tractor, From the Back

5529601138_dddcd569fc_z_d.jpg

Like a real tractor, visibility for the driver is poor. He's just going in a straight line, after all. And it's quite likely his front end will be in the air anyway.

The Complete Unit

5529601720_3451e855b6_z_d.jpg

The trailer just needs two attachments to be made - the ball up front for the physical connection to the tractor, and the 9v cable to provide electricity to the motor. Then just press the button on the battery box and watch it pull.

It's Big

5529602268_5c9580f82d_z_d.jpg

When complete, this is a pretty large set. Mr. Minifig there is dwarfed by the tractor - he'd better watch out for the wheels!

Building the V6 Engines, Part 1

5529602852_1d9bd09878_z_d.jpg

Time for an engine swap. Instructions are also included for making V6 and V8 setups. First we need to build the gearbox that will be used by both. A row of gears distributes the motion out to whichever engines we attach.

Building the V6 Engines, Part 2

5529015637_40e5c1f402_z_d.jpg

The gearbox and upper beam are attached to the tractor at this point, since both the 3x V6 setup and the 2x V8 setup will use them.

Building the V6 Engines, Part 3

5529604196_eba93b0e1a_z_d.jpg

3 identical V6 engines are built. They're basically the same as the V4s, but with two extra cylinders and therefore longer ribbed tubes on top. The decorative chains are the same.

Building the V6 Engines, Part 4

5529604640_9ef76b7f44_z_d.jpg

The engines need something to support the front ends, so this module with a STAMP logo panel will hold them up.

Building the V6 Engines, Part 5

5529605544_a34bce51ed_z_d.jpg

The three engines attach to the tractor - while still a ridiculous engine setup, it's less busy-looking than the V4s. I think this is my favorite arrangement.

Building the V6 Engines, Part 6

5529606364_514d805c90_z_d.jpg

The front mount holds the engines up and fills the empty space at the front of the tractor.

Building the V8 Engines, Part 1

5529606934_c2610fbcaf_z_d.jpg

This engine swap will go faster than the last. The front holder and 3 engines are removed, and the two of the engines add two cylinders each. The top blower decoration stays the same - it no longer covers the full length of the engine though.

Building the V8 Engines, Part 2

5529607402_3336cb2d1b_z_d.jpg

A new front mount has to be built, since the engines are longer. There's less space to fill so a smaller mount is all we need.

Building the V8 Engines, Part 3

5529020103_8bf7f68a09_z_d.jpg

The tractor is done. Since the engines aren't as wide, a pair of logo panels are added on the sides of the tractor.

Building the V8 Engines, Part 4

5529020913_61ebe42ed6_z_d.jpg

This is definitely the least busy-looking of the engine arrangements. The driver can actually mostly see where he's going now. I'm a little surprised that Lego didn't add one more engine setup, with a single V16. I think it would fit, and there's certainly enough parts to make it work. I wonder if that engine just doesn't work in Lego. Some of the Ferrari sets have V12s, but I suspect at some point the crankshaft has trouble holding together since it's so many small parts.

My V16 Mod...

5582449616_ca8abf3b4e_z_d.jpg

Ok, I had to try it. I modified the engine into a single V16. It did take a little tweaking, since there aren't enough of the crankshaft centers. I ended up using a 4-axle in the middle, so now my middle cylinders on each side move together rather than alternating all the way down the row. I used some other spare parts to add the Technic signs on the front and side, plus extended the tubing of the blower decoration. I think now I see why Lego didn't include this option. It's not as stable as the others. It's too long to have the gear bracket setups like the other arrangements, so the back end is supported only by the axle. The front only has a couple studs connection, so the whole thing is lightly attached. It works fine, but it's not as sturdy as the official options.

The Conclusion

This is a very unique set. So many Technic sets are construction equipment, cars, or trucks. This and the Space Shuttle are probably the two most unusual sets Lego's made in the Technic line. Sadly, they made it in typical construction yellow. This would have been a great opportunity to use any color - blue, green, even purple!

The functionality of the set is fantastic. They recreated the real vehicle very well, including giving options for fake engines as well as the educational value of changing gear ratios. However, like the real thing, this is a one trick pony. Once you get bored of short straight runs, there's nothing else do to with it (officially that is - of course you can use the parts to make anything you want).

There is one part of the set I'm missing. It came with a VHS tape. I honestly have no idea what's on the video, since I've never seen it. Lego even made both NTSC and PAL versions, even though I don't see why Europe would have wanted this set (I think Power Pulling is a strictly American sport, or am I wrong?) These days, I don't even have a video tape player to watch it in. Too bad no one's put it on YouTube!

The Ratings

Value: 10/10 - At the original $100 price, it's a great value. You get almost 1000 parts, INCLUDING both a battery box and motor. There are also a wide variety of parts, like both studded and studless beams. You also get 4 different sets of wheels! The current value isn't nearly as good, when you're looking at over $200 on Bricklink. I based my rating though on the original price.

Design: 8/10 - It's a great recreation of the real-world machine. However, the flex system seems wasted and actually a detriment, since the steering is sloppy (and nearly useless in this vehicle).

Playability: 6/10 - It works well for what it is, but there's just limited play value. I suppose if you and a friend each had one and could actually race them it'd be more fun, but after you run a few 6 foot runs (that's about as far as it goes before the battery box is all the way forward and you have to stop it) and swapping the gears around, there's not much else to do.

Parts: 9/10 - There's quite a few rare parts in the set, a good variety of normal parts, lots of engine pieces, plus a motor and battery. And you get a Technic Fig! The drawback is the overwhelming use of yellow.

Minifigs: 10/10 - This guy is just cool. The racing suit looks great, the helmet is perfect, and the Technic figs are always just a big plus to have.

Overall: 6/10 - I REALLY wanted to rate this higher. When I was looking through the instructions online (while waiting for the set to cross the ocean), I was massively excited to finally have this set. There are so many options given in the manual for ways to change things. When I actually built it though, it was a bit of a letdown. The various engine configurations are just cosmetic, the extra motor and speed computer aren't included, and so there's just not that much to do. It's a sweet set and I love seeing Lego make unique machines, but there's just not enough play value here. Additionally, I was excited to have my first set with Flex System parts, but they too were a big letdown. The concept is great, and it'd likely work well on a different vehicle. Here though, it's too sloppy of a steering mechanism. Frankly, the set would be better with fixed wheels in the front than these. It's not like you can steer it while it's running anyway.

My Flickr set for this set (to see the images larger)

That's a great review, thanks!

I also have this set and have seen the video but can't remember what's on it and I can't re-watch as I too no longer have a tape player. I really don't think there is anything you can't already find on youtube about power pullers tho.

It's a shame that this set was your introduction to the flex system as it's usually a great system. It's application here however was dreadful, by far the worst of any set if memory serves me correctly. If you are interested in getting more sets with the flex system then you might like the (hang on, hope I remember these numbers right, can't be arsed to check! :laugh: ) 8479 Barcode truck, the 8485 control centre 2 (the t-rex model) or the 8856 whirlwind rescue. Fantastic!

Fantastic review,

I JUST purchased this set friday as it was one of the very last few that I don't have (currently control center one and 8145 Ferrari are left). I am thankful for such thorough review and I am glad that people to continue to go back and review the sets that someones (unbelievably fantastic ;)) website hasn't caught up to yet. Just for my own sanity, aren't the tires for Power puller the same size as 8466?

Fantastic review,

I JUST purchased this set friday as it was one of the very last few that I don't have (currently control center one and 8145 Ferrari are left). I am thankful for such thorough review and I am glad that people to continue to go back and review the sets that someones (unbelievably fantastic ;)) website hasn't caught up to yet. Just for my own sanity, aren't the tires for Power puller the same size as 8466?

Yes they are the same size. The only difference is that the 8466 wheels/tyres dont have the technic power writing on them.

Great review 9/10 from me,reason for knocking one Mark was no pics of original box,is this set expensive or hard get second hand?

I didn't know what this set was supposed to be when it came out. It was probably the last Technic set with a large amount of studded construction, and some yellow parts like the 1x6 half-beams and #4 angle connectors are still unique to this set. The steering was possibly the worst design we've ever seen in Technic. :tongue:

As for the video, it's a 10 minute skit showing some motorsports team ("Team Larsen") taking a pulling tractor (painted in Lego livery to look like this set) to a show and of course, winning. There is no speech, just background music. There are also some ads for the speed computer and other sets that were available back then. It's fun to watch once but that's about it.

This is a great review of one of the strangest yet highly prized Technic sets ever released! Unfortunately I don't have one, and by the looks of it, it will take me a very long time to get one, if at all...

I'd just like to say that you shouldn't judge the flex system because of a single set. The ones allanp mentioned (all the numbers are correct, by the way) are definitely among the best uses of the system. 8074, 8839 and 8412 are also good examples.

Great review 9/10 from me,reason for knocking one Mark was no pics of original box,is this set expensive or hard get second hand?

Well, mostlytechnic did mention his set doesn't include the box ;)

As for your questions, the answer to both of them is yes.

I do understand that this is not a good use for the flex system. I can totally see the potential, but this wasn't the place to use it.

Currently, used sets of this run about $225-250 US on bricklink for the condition I have (used, no video or box). Truly complete sets w/ box and video are closer to 300, and new sealed sets are $450+. Sorry, but a box and useless video aren't worth the extra cost to me (and I didn't pay anywhere close to $250 for mine, since it was missing a $20 fig and a few other bits.)

I don't know about the steering. I mean, I like the fact they created an original mechanism to steer the vehicle. It's not like steering is essential here, so I think the originality wins over non-functionality. And I also think Lego is about using parts in different ways. This set's steering uses parts in unusual ways, showing what can also be done. That it doesn't work out very well is a pity, but in this case I don't think it's bad. Simply because, well, what's steering doing on a power puller anyway.

Anyhow great review. Especially the fact that you show the build extensively, with such clean pictures. I have seen the instructions multiple times yet have never even noticed the motor mechanism that can let the axle run freely. Nice piece of innovative design there!

As for the rest I agree the set is above all, actually just very weird. I mean, five V4 engines? :P If only Technic had more weird sets like this... Actually the only thing I have doubted is how much "power" actually comes out of those motors. I think a set like this would be way cooler with stronger motors. I don't have the set so I don't know, but I do have this motor and I suspect it's not very spectacular of a power puller. Am I right in this? How does a power pull with this set actually look?

As for the rest I agree the set is above all, actually just very weird. I mean, five V4 engines? :P If only Technic had more weird sets like this... Actually the only thing I have doubted is how much "power" actually comes out of those motors. I think a set like this would be way cooler with stronger motors. I don't have the set so I don't know, but I do have this motor and I suspect it's not very spectacular of a power puller. Am I right in this? How does a power pull with this set actually look?

It's actually surprisingly powerful. Much of this is due to the balance of the model being so near the rear and the gearing. Even with only one motor and standard gearing, the model will easily lift the front wheels off the ground as the trailer comes to a halt. It is not fast by any means, but it does what a power puller should do. In my opinion, adding another motor and different gearing doesn't really buy you anything, because who cares how far it will actually pull the trailer. For kids though, it is an excellent visual example of what different gearing can do for you.

I have seen the instructions multiple times yet have never even noticed the motor mechanism that can let the axle run freely. Nice piece of innovative design there!

Similar mechanisms, that allow an axle to rotate freely when its initial power source halts, have been also seen in 8205 Bungee Blaster, 8232 Chopper Force and 8971 Aerial Defence Unit and maybe some more I'm not aware of.

Great review on this great set :thumbup: Being a city fan, I never received this set as a kid. I always wanted to get one but, always opted for the price equivalent priced city set (only got one or two a year). Now I am on the hunt to get this on my display shelf. Thank you for this great classic review 'mostlytechnic':classic:

One of the most complete, best reviews i've seen! The set is really unique, but how well does it run? do you happen to have a video of it running?

Yup, so did mine.

One cool feature that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to run the engines whilst having the model stationary just by running the motor(s) in reverse. I found that cool because it was like the engines were idleing like they do before they begin to pull. :sweet:

Edited by allanp

i got one of these hiding somewhere too, chore having to build 4 engines though. any reviews of the technic space shuttle to be found??

any reviews of the technic space shuttle to be found??

Not yet, but I'm working on it... watch this forum over the next few weeks ;)

i got one of these hiding somewhere too, chore having to build 4 engines though. any reviews of the technic space shuttle to be found??

The Space Shuttle will be covered in the 1996 update to Technicopedia which is not too far away.

The Space Shuttle will be covered in the 1996 update to Technicopedia which is not too far away.

awesome blakbird i couldnt wait for 1996 to come out :thumbup:

Woo - even though I'm doing a review for here, I always love seeing your take on things!