Sign in to follow this  
Arthuriel

1:16 and 1:32 scale L.M.S. Explorer

[i combined two threads from rockraidersunited to make this post/topic more compact.]

What contains 1178 pieces and looks like the LMS Explorer? If you guessed something but the 1:16 LMS Explorer, you we're wrong.

I thought a long time about the idea of building an even smaller version of the LMS Explorer, because more people would be able to recreate it at home due to the lower piece count (things like

the lack of some teal bricks are still a problem though).

It was a bit difficult to integrate some details (this version has its flaws) and the 1:16 version doesn't look near as good as the 1:8 version, but I hope, that you still enjoy it.

[2015-11-23]: I made new pictures with another render program (personally I prefer the new result):

22829860197_8eb59cd406_o.png

22596918743_fc7c769a2a_o.png

Edited by Arthuriel

The game was so hard that I never got to see more of the ship! I should really see if I can finish it at some point...

I couldn't finish the game as a child, too. Only later I was somehow able to beat the game and in recent times anyways (= in the last few years I found some strategies, that made beating the game easier. Thanks RRU :)).

There are also some mods available to make the game even harder. I never tried them out, but it sounds like an interesting thing.

Back to the game: Another problem is, that Rock Raiders aren't always that smart to put it nicely and when you thought, that you already hated the game enough: it crashes *insert trollface*

Here is a small solution for the level, that I hated the most:

One of the most annoying levels in my opinion is the level, where you have to collect 45 crystals and can experience a ton of slimy slugs. There are several options (I put them into a spoiler, if you want to figure it out on your own):

1. Try to stay under ~ 10 crystals. You can achieve this by teleporting a ton of vehicles down and when you have enough crystals in vehicle form, you can teleport them all up and collect the crystals

2. Build every building, which is useful in your opinion and also every vehicle. After that you teleport the tool store away, which causes the following effect: When slimy slugs suck energy from your buildings, they deplete the green energy crystals and the tool store ejects purple crystals, that you can recharge at a recharge seam. There is only one flaw: if the tool store is missing, this doesn't happen at all and you can collect all the crystals you need. The only problem might be, that the "action station" alarm will annoy you, but when you have enough transporters and drill vehicles, you can finish the mission pretty fast

3. TEH SECRET CAVE WITH A SMALL ISLAND: on the left side of the HQ is a cave (first you need access to the big cave, that's south from you), that contains enough crystals to win the mission. All you need is one Rock Raider, that has a shovel and is a pilot, so that he can fly a tunnel scout. After that you clear the rubble on the island, built a power path and teleport the original tool store and every other Rock Raider away. Next step: Build a new toll store on the island and teleport every Rock Raider down and collect all the crystals.

That's all I know so far (oh, and I never managed to win with the 3rd solution, but speed runs confirm, that it's possible). I hope, that this was helpful^^.

Edited by Arthuriel