Sign in to follow this  
PeroTheLegoman

"Impérial" Ship MOC (6271 imperial flagship)

Hello again everybody,

while I might risk sounding a bit like a spoiled brat, I 'll still tell you the "story" of my first "pirate theme" ship.

Remember drooling over those 1989, 1990 and 1991 lego catalouges with the great Black Seas Barracuda (6285) and while the Skull's Eye Schooner (6286) was a far more elaborate ship, thoes red sails got imprinted in my retina. The BSB was simply my dream ship, and I asked my parents if they ever get the chance to get me that "red sail ship" and they got me the "red sail ship", only it wasn't BSB it was the Imperial Flagship (6271). That was my childhoods first and only lego pirate theme ship. I really liked that ship after I got used to the fact that it is not the actual red sail ship, but I still remember the initial disappointment that it wasn't the BSB.

You can notice the size difference on this photo between 6271 and the modded 6285:

19392754215_74101a3a6e_z.jpg

A year ago I got the BSB and really loved it, but felt it was a bit small now that I've grown, so I modded it into a bit longer three masted ship. And with BSB around I felt the Imperial flagship was kinda outgunned in every possible way, and didn't feel that, even thoe it looks faster, the ships commander would ever sail into an engagment facing a ship as big as BSB. So I decided to make my own version.

Btw, I always preferd the blue coats over the red coats.

So ladies and pirates this is it:

pirates-indexed.gif Brig - Two Masts - One Square Sail on the Main 6C

19323393396_40ceae7b47_z.jpg

Just kidding :D This was something I built during my dark age, one night I was back at my folks home going trought lego boxes.

My first idea was to try and see if it looked any better in blue coats colours and I'll let you be the judge of that:

19162184938_6fa54e6d16_z.jpg

And then I started planing for the total rehull. Orderd another hull mid section and parts for another mast and a few windows, and this is what I came up with (ofcourse used my lego stash aswell), a blue coats version of imperial flagship named "Impérial":

19204652020_9cdaa5b9c4_z.jpg

18727030264_fa25418c8f_z.jpg

19392272975_14049cdba9_z.jpg

It actually isn't fair to compare it to my moded version of BSB since I made it quite bigger, but still think that the commander of "Impérial" could face the BSB with a fighting chance on the high seas:

19343413542_a0bb81418e_z.jpg

18733049153_f49d320ec2_z.jpg

19327598886_205a0cdcea_z.jpg

The ships bow with the figurehead:

19323465826_bdd6d29b75_z.jpg

19353697205_ae40cd72dc_z.jpg

And the stern:

18728904353_d026985e75_z.jpg

Hope you like the new blue coats flagship!

this looks very nice. I especially like the stern of the ship the windows add so much!

Thank you guys!

Btw, I 've added a couple of other pictures.. dunno, but it looks prettier in "flesh" then on the photos. Am not that good of a photographer, plus it's all captured by my cellular.

Edited by PeroTheLegoman

I love the stern for the Imperial ship. :wub:

Great work on your improved vessel. I love seeing the progression of your vessels.

If you wish to improve upon these vessel, I suggest adding tumblehome to the sides of the vessel.

Btw, I 've added a couple of other pictures.. dunno, but it looks prettier in "flesh" then on the photos. Am not that good of a photographer, plus it's all capture by my cellular.

That's a better camera on your cell phone than I have for a regular camera. :laugh:

Great design of the ships' duel. Is the blue sails ship back to 1989? and red - 1993? I also like to creat large ships. Keep on building!!!

Another good ship is always a welcome sight. The teaser ship really wouldn't be bad if all the colors matched up. The stern on the actual ship is indeed lovely, and the rigging looks pretty good too. I agree with Phred in thinking that tumblehome sides would improve it but that can be quite an undertaking if it requires a major redesign, and this is fine the way it is. Too bad the bluecoats' Clipper didn't look like this from the start! Good work and keep on sailing.

Very nicely done! I did something similar with a pair of Carribean Clippers that I had, though I think yours looks nicer.

And I dare say that your Imperial could match blows with BSB. She outguns them, after all!

Yep thoes ships with tumblehome are quite beautiful but there are a couple of issues. Primarily they dont look that classic and secondly I'm constrained with the dimensions of my showcase, and would want it to look just right, and this way it's at the max size possible right now.

@staslegomaster The red one is the 1992 6271, (6285 is from 1989) and the blue is MOC

@cousarmy0001 thank you. The ship from your signature is a beaut aswell :)

Thank you everyone

Judging by what you created, you are a long time LEGO fan, just as I am. One of MOC-s is on LEGO Ideas site. I'd apreciate your opinion on it. It's called Pirate Battle island. Sorry I don't know how to upload it here because my log in on Brickshelf always fails. How many posts do I need to be allowed to upload MOC-s? [Removed Link]

Edited by Phred
Removed Lego Ideas Link

Tumblehome is very difficult to make look good in smaller ships. I've tried with ships that short before (my aforementioned upgunned clippers, incidentally) and it was obscenely difficult to do- frankly, not worth the trouble.

Wanted to make a bit of an abstract figurehead. For some reason I don't enjoy the minifigures as figureheads that much

Regretfuly the blue anchor was the only one I had left. Would've loved it if I had another black one :)

Edited by PeroTheLegoman