RoxYourBlox

Aerial Arena

Aerial Arena

To appease minifigs upset about the current revenue sharing agreement at Green Gables Stadium, the mayor of Lego City approved construction of a new multi-purpose arena for gymnastics and basketball. (Is there ever enough money to go around!?)

Designed by me from June 1 to July 22, 2014 with inspiration from Palacio de Cibeles, Madrid, Spain and Chateau de Vaux le Vicomte, Maincy, France, Aerial Arena was constructed from approximately 33,000 bricks and 400 lots by 8 friends & family with me from December 12-20.

16047805646_ff872862e4_z.jpg

15886179918_7ef74c2cc2_z.jpg

16047808916_faa0650bd1_z.jpg

15453956193_240a24ffd3_z.jpg

16059575852_8974d8a8fd_z.jpg

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Aerial Arena by RedCoKid, on Flickr

That is amazing, the roof is just spectacular and the colours work so well. It's a great use of internal space for the seating arrangements.

I can only dream of having enough artistic talent to build something like that.

Brilliant design. It's rare to see a creation on such a scale. Incredible that you designed this in just a couple of weeks, and built it even faster.

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words!

A work of art! The dome must have taken some planning, quite astounding!

The dome, while an eye-catcher, is a smaller cousin of the dome of Green Gables Stadium. After reducing the initial circumference, I only had to reuse its strategy. That portion might have taken only a day or two to design.

The real challenge for me--and a core theme of this MOC--was finding ways to use ~45 degree angles to set everything against a diagonal. While the gym and basketball floors simply rest on tiles secured by the rest of the building, each wall is the hypotenuse of a 20-21-29 perfect triangle, secured to the overall structure by reinforced support columns.

During construction, I also ran into challenges with compression, since at roughly 20 lbs. the round top weighed a lot more than expected. The earth blue octagonal roof is reinforced by technic bricks sandwiching 1x2x2 brackets linked to 4x6 tiles, forming a network of H-beams. The base also turned out weak in spots, especially under the top layers of grass and sand blue tiles, and I had to re-do it.

Finally, one bit of trivia-- there are no window sills used (aside from the doors)--all windows are brick-built!

Edited by RoxYourBlox

Your work is always the most visually stunning! Is this Arena going on display this summer?

Your work is always the most visually stunning! Is this Arena going on display this summer?

Thanks, and yes, I'll bring the arena to Brickworld Chicago 2015 (along with 180 minifigs :grin: ).

that is very cool, wish I could make it to Brickworld to see it, I love the basketball court, and as folks have said, wish I had the talent to do something like this, minifigs would be proud to play ball here and do gymnastics, great job!

Wow. Fantastic. A very complex combination of construction tecniques and colours.

Also very good presentation and photos.

I'll give this astonishing creation a well-deserved bump by repeating the praise I've given it on Flickr. It really is something truly special - but then again, so are your other builds. You have an amazing eye for colour combinations, and when you add that to your truly, to me, baffling sense of geometry ("each wall is the hypotenuse of a 20-21-29 perfect triangle..." yeah. Right.) you get some wonderful MOCs. And your photography skills aren't half bad, either... :)

Seriously, knowing that this will be on display at BW Chicago is one of the major reasons for me to want to go. I think this year will be the year I make it to my first event on your side of the Atlantic.

Awesome roof and very nice building. I loved the theme and the interior elements. Congrats!

This is stunning. I love the amount of math that you used to create it. I am a middle school teacher and frequently use Lego in my classroom. This is such a great example to show the kids. They will undoubtedly be blown away by the design.

I'll give this astonishing creation a well-deserved bump by repeating the praise I've given it on Flickr. It really is something truly special - but then again, so are your other builds. You have an amazing eye for colour combinations, and when you add that to your truly, to me, baffling sense of geometry ("each wall is the hypotenuse of a 20-21-29 perfect triangle..." yeah. Right.) you get some wonderful MOCs. And your photography skills aren't half bad, either... :)

Seriously, knowing that this will be on display at BW Chicago is one of the major reasons for me to want to go. I think this year will be the year I make it to my first event on your side of the Atlantic.

Thanks, and I hope to see you there! I haven't registered yet but will definitely go. As for the geometry, what I wish I could do is think more in 3 dimensions, as I often feel like I'm simply throwing a skin on a low-count polyhedron. It would help if Lego made Pythagorean-friendly wedge plates, too, like a 4x6 plate with a 3x4 cut corner or a 6x14 plate with a 5x12 cut corner.

This is stunning. I love the amount of math that you used to create it. I am a middle school teacher and frequently use Lego in my classroom. This is such a great example to show the kids. They will undoubtedly be blown away by the design.

One of favorite memories at Brickworld '14 was telling a group of boys of that age that what I had on display amounted to just a bit of math, and they could do the same if they would work hard in class. :)

As a bonus, I threw together an articulated bus during holiday break from extra parts (just got around to photography today... I'm slow):

16172846209_6b18928df5_z.jpg

16357307251_d8ea891467_z.jpg

Aerial Arena, as part of my daughter's Blue Boardwalk district:

16365470222_5370218582_z.jpg

Edited by RoxYourBlox