The loss of HMS Bounty and 2 missing crew

13 replies to this topic  – Started by kurigan , Oct 29 2012 06:53 PM

#1 kurigan

kurigan
  • Fresh Pirate

Member: 9706

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

Though this is not exactly Lego related, i thought this community might care to hear the tragic news. Famous movie replica HMS Bounty has sank in hurricane Sandy, some 90 miles off the coast of North Carlonia. After loosing power, the ship began to take on water forcing her crew to abandon ship. As of the posting of this topic 14 of her 16 man crew have been rescued, US Coast Guard are still searching for the missing members. I'm sure we all can agree on the gravity of the loss of such an iconic vessel. For the crew, however let's hope and pray the sea and storm have mercy on these brave mariners.

Don't know how long the article will remain posted, but here's a link to an official news story.
http://fox4kc.com/20...es-around-them/

Posted Image

#2 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose

Member: 822

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

It's really sad this ship has been lost.

I don't understand what the crew what thinking... they must have known about the storm/hurricane, so why not go to a safe harbor?

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#3 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostBonaparte, on 29 October 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

I don't understand what the crew what thinking... they must have known about the storm/hurricane, so why not go to a safe harbor?
I was thinking the same thing when I heard the news, it's madness to take a ship like that into a storm

#4 AncientDayz

AncientDayz

Member: 30184

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:23 AM

They may have thought that the ship would have been safer at sea ...just like how the Navy sent out dozens of ships from the ports in Virginia. It is safer for the ships to be at sea than riding the waves and surges while slamming into the docks and other ships. Maybe they considered the risks and thought that was safer (?). Anyway, no matter the reason and while the loss of the ship is unfortunate, I hope they find (found) the two missing crew members. My heart goes out to them and their families.

#5 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose

Member: 822

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

View PostAncientDayz, on 30 October 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

They may have thought that the ship would have been safer at sea ...just like how the Navy sent out dozens of ships from the ports in Virginia. It is safer for the ships to be at sea than riding the waves and surges while slamming into the docks and other ships. Maybe they considered the risks and thought that was safer (?).
That could indeed be a possible reason for the ship being at sea!

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#6 kermit

kermit
  • 1+1+1=2

Member: 11816

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

They were actually trying to move the ship to Florida where it would be safe when it got caught in the storm.

#7 TheLegoNinja

TheLegoNinja
  • Redcoats, redcoats, redcoats!

Member: 29307

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

This is so Sad! I hope they locate the 2 missing crewmembers quickly! Its a shame about the ship. :sad: :sceptic:
Have you seen him? Probably not, he's a NINJA.

Joseph Chuikov of the Guild of Kaliphlin

Posted Image

#8 Faefrost

Faefrost
  • Fire Policefighter

Member: 27890

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:34 AM

I think they thought it would be safer at sea, and they were hoping to run well south of it to get out of harms way. I think the shear size of the storm and its area of effect is part of what caused a bad decision. And even then they probably would have been fine if they didn't lose steering control. Very sad. Thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those missing or lost.
Posted Image
My First Real MOC!
Almost ready for customers! Comics, Karate, and brutally painful Dentistry, all under one roof!

#9 CA Magon

CA Magon

Member: 32558

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Poor ship, poor crew members... Mother nature is always stronger...
Are there news of the two sailors ?

#10 Captain Becker

Captain Becker
  • Pirate Pig

Member: 8823

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

I heard they were found dead, not sure if its actually true, but thats what i know so far.
My LEGO collection

"An Admiral a day, keeps the Doctor away" General Skalldyr in ToR II

Posted Image Posted Image <---- Thank you so much joey Bluecoats FTW
Thank you Jebediahs

#11 lightningtiger

lightningtiger
  • Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

I heard the captain was lost with the ship and it was the modern electric pumps which failed that caused all the troubles.....if they had manual pumps.....at least they might have had a chance to save such a famous sailing vessel. :sadnew:

#12 Sir E Fullner

Sir E Fullner
  • The Admiral's croissants smell delicious!

Member: 7307

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

I saw a picture of her in the Daily Telegraph this morning. The dear old girl, she was a beauty. At least she'll be sailing the clouds to infinity.

My MOCPage Ett. FullnerMy Brickshelf

Eat yer spinach, kiddies! However, don't forget the fish.
Posted Image

#13 kurigan

kurigan
  • Fresh Pirate

Member: 9706

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

http://www.examiner....ues-for-captain

#14 Bart

Bart

Member: 15679

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

This is some sad news. As far as I found out, the ship was 200 miles away from the hurican.From my profesional background i can say that that was the best they could have done. these huricanes, although it might not look like it on the news, are very unpredictable and suddenly. Even more if you compare it with the speed a ship can go out of its way, I don't think the bounty can make more then ten knots. So if they would have found out it would hit them in two days they could only get away this much.
But if your pumps fail you can even sink in a pond, but a hurican doesn't rally help then.

And it is true that ships are safer at sea then in port. Ride out the waves, rather then have the waves smack you countles times against the docks or even lift the ship up onto the shore. (plenty of pictures from yachts on the shores)

But if the latest news is the facts about the freak waves, then it also expalains all the top mast gone and the ship floating on its side with air traped inside. Even modern steel ships are sunk by freakwaves in this modern times.

I do hope they can salvage the ship.

Bart

Dus

my photos

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links