Sign in to follow this  
jtlan

[MOC] Lombard Steam Log Hauler

Hey everyone! Normally I post in the Train Tech forum. I wasn't sure if this MOC belonged here, but Commander Wolf insisted that this was the correct forum.

The Lombard Steam Log Hauler was the first commercially-produced vehicle to use caterpillar tracks. They were essentially a small saddle-tank steam locomotive mounted on a frame with a transmission driving a short pair of treads. The front of the vehicle was supported by a pair of skids or small wheels, which were steered to turn the vehicle. Operating the vehicle required a team of three: the engineer, the fireman, and the steersman, who sat on the small platform in front to steer the vehicle.

img_0818.jpg

This model uses the same general SNOT-based boiler as my narrow-gauge single Fairlie locomotive. As was the case for that model, I mostly freelanced the design while looking at reference images (this one in particular), rather than scaling an engineering drawing as I usually do (engineering drawings for both vehicles were hard to come by). The end result is approximately the same scale as my other models.

img_0819.jpg

Another angle. The interior of this model is identical to the Fairlie. I'd like to have a crew to operate it, but I don't have any lumberjack minifigs!

Full Brickshelf gallery here (pending moderation). Let me know what you think!

amazing example of something i didnt know existed. the steersman position would have been nerve wracking!!

Huh! I'd never seen one before. Nice build - although Sunhuntin's right that steersman position would be a doozy.

Great little creation! Would be a perfect addition to any holiday village. Too bad no one thought to add a pulley around the "steering wheel" to be able to steer the vehicle from the cabin. I can imagine the "steersman" yelling at the engineer who would be completely oblivious.