Cecilie

[MOC] Norwegian sørlandssjekte

I built this as a xmas-present for my grandmother this year. It's modeled after a typical old style "sørlandsjekte" which is the same as my grandparents used to have before my grandfather passed away.

I could not find a name for this type of boat in english. In Norwegian it's most commonly referred to as a "sjekte" in the south of Norway, and a "snekke" elsewhere. The style and construction method of this type of boat is the same as viking ships used to have. Just modernized with an engine. These boats are not built to go fast though, they cruise along slowly, and make a very characteristic sound.

16076425746_21e612403a_c.jpg

Norwegian sørlandssjekte by cecilihf, on Flickr

15916464217_5e1171a85d_c.jpg

15479890894_9f28b517d5_c.jpg

More pictures here:

That's a great little boat, I particularly like how the details on the bow and stern are done.

That's a good looking boat. I like how you've made the hull to look like it's Clinker built (with overlapping strips). I'm not sure exactly what we'd call it In English but I'm guessing this would be known as a traditional skiff (but that's quite a broad category of boats).

Nice job with the MOC.

Thanks everyone :sweet:

That's a good looking boat. I like how you've made the hull to look like it's Clinker built (with overlapping strips). I'm not sure exactly what we'd call it In English but I'm guessing this would be known as a traditional skiff (but that's quite a broad category of boats).

Yeah, that's one of the important characteristics of this type of boat, that they're clinker built, so I had to get that effect in. Skiff is not wrong, but it's just not precise enough. I don't know if the english language has a separate word for this particular category. It's very Scandinavian, since it's a derivate of the viking ships.

Excellent little boat.... The brick built hull looks perfect (hope your grandmother liked it!!)

Nice work!!

I just have to leave a little comment here as well, not just on Flickr - it's just bringing back too many memories from my childhood. After all, I grew up on Sørlandet :)

The characteristic sound of these... you other guys really

to know what we're talking about. Combine that with the sound of seagulls and waves washing gently over the rocks, and you have the summers of my childhood!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments :sweet:

Excellent little boat.... The brick built hull looks perfect (hope your grandmother liked it!!)

Nice work!!

She did indeed! She was very impressed. I think she's the only member of my family who doesn't think I'm crazy for building with LEGO all the time :laugh:

I just have to leave a little comment here as well, not just on Flickr - it's just bringing back too many memories from my childhood. After all, I grew up on Sørlandet :)

The characteristic sound of these... you other guys really

to know what we're talking about. Combine that with the sound of seagulls and waves washing gently over the rocks, and you have the summers of my childhood!

Hehe, yeah :grin: