Sign in to follow this  
Aredhel

MS Mermaid

thindexedgif.gif 30d

Hello all!

Today I want to present you my first pirate ship I ever did. I called it MS Mermaid because I choosed a mermaid as the figurehead of the ship.

First of all an overview picture:

ms_mermaid_overview07.jpg

ms_mermaid_overview01.jpg_thumb.jpg

As you can see, it is a two-mast-ship. Some ideas for the ship I got from the set 6286.

The figurehead is from the Harry Potter set 4762 - Rescue from the Merpeople.

ms_mermaid_details02.jpg

At the back of the ship, like it should be, the captain navigates the ship. He is guarded by two other pirates:

minifigs_on_deck01.jpg

For more things, look at my gallery when moderated.

Hope you like it or maybe you can comment on what I did good or what could be better for my next ship!

Greetings, Aredhel

That ship looks very interesting with it

That's quite a tall ship for its length, I wonder what Mr ZCerebus would have to say about that X-D

The figurehead is from the Harry Potter set 4762 - Rescue from the Merpeople.

It was just the other day I was suggesting to Fender Bender that he should have a merman figurehead for his Triton's Vengeance MOC Ship and now we have an example to show him. Awesome! *y*

This must be a very fast ship with all those sails.

Speed is very important for a pirate ship!

My only remark is the height of the cabin.

I always prefer it a bit lower so it looks more integrated in the ship.

And because of the height of the cabin, the captain can't look under the sails.

My only remark is the height of the cabin.

I always prefer it a bit lower so it looks more integrated in the ship.

And because of the height of the cabin, the captain can't look under the sails.

Yes, I have seen that. too. But after finishing it, I just did not want to destroy and rebuild because of that :-$

It was just the other day I was suggesting to Fender Bender that he should have a merman figurehead for his Triton's Vengeance MOC Ship and now we have an example to show him. Awesome!

Thanks for your nice words, Mister Phes.

-Aredhel

I like this ship a lot, it's different from most other pirateships we see around here on Eurobricks.

The usage of just one hull midpiece makes this a short ship with masts that are pretty tall, but it gives the ship indeed a fast look.

The overall shape reminds me of the Lego version of the Durmstrang ship (you know the Harry Potter one with those new junior hullpieces) if it had looked like the Mermaid I would certainly have bought it when it came out.

The only thing I would suggest are perhaps some more windows in the back of the cabin where the nice little boat is attached.

Good work, I think this ship will be of good use freeing those poor pirates strapped and tied up inside your beautiful Islander Village!

*y*

The overall shape reminds me of the Lego version of the Durmstrang ship (you know the Harry Potter one with those new junior hullpieces) if it had looked like the Mermaid I would certainly have bought it when it came out.

I noticed that, too. I have got the Durmstrang ship at home. The form of it is really similar to it, though it was not planned. The thing I miss at the Durmstrang ship are sails. At the Durmstrang are a lot of nice pieces to use, but alltogether its not my favourite Harry Potter set.

The only thing I would suggest are perhaps some more windows in the back of the cabin where the nice little boat is attached.

I have thought of this, too, but the way I tried, it did not work. Maybe in my next ship I will try to do it better ;-)

Good work, I think this ship will be of good use freeing those poor pirates strapped and tied up inside your beautiful Islander Village!

LOL!!! :'-) Yes, this could be the falldown of the Islanders :-P

-Aredhel

but i'd put some cannons ARRRRRRRRRRR

Actually there are four of them, mounted on sleds, but Dana forgot to photograph them... :-|| ;-)

This ship is good for a first Pirate ship MOC indeed.

Yes Phes, the cabin maybe slightly too tall for its length, but it doesn't bother me that much, I don't think this one will capsize because of its height!

I like the color coordination, the figurehead, the angled railings up front and the overall feel of the MOC. I think the fenced railing pieces on the main deck look good.

I also like all the different colored birds you seem to have lying around!

The figures also look very nice.

I guess I also agree with some of the less positive comments. I think the sails are too low (or the cabin is too tall)/ I also wonder about the sail plan. I realized you probably had limited sails, but the triangular guy on the fore mast and the way you attached the sail in the back is a little odd.

Over all, this is an excellent first ship! Believe me when I say some of my first boats were far less well received! Keep MOCing!

*y* Very impressive.I like how you got allthat decoration onto your ship.Your sail system worked out very well. :) But I think you should give the mermaid a new head. :-/ .Oh well thats just my opinion.Anyways great job on your ship.

Aredhel,

Nice MOC *y*

The overall look of the ship has a cool and yet bizarre look to it.

I like the use of the curved slopes and lattice bricks on the sides.

The masts do seem a little tall and the ship seems a little "stubby" if you'd want to go for realism.

Otherwise i'd just add more windows to the captain's cabin.

I love the use of the mermaid for the figurehead.

It looks a lot better than i'd though. Definitely going to have get one of them off of BL soon. *y*

P

Thanks for you nice words. The mermaid from the HP set, is really nice, like the whole Harry Potter set. The set has very nice pieces and nice little details. IMO its worth its 25

Actually there are four of them, mounted on sleds, but Dana forgot to photograph them... :-|| ;-)

Will there be pictures of the cannons in the future, or has the ship already been scuttled?

Will there be pictures of the cannons in the future, or has the ship already been scuttled?

I will do photos of the canons. The ship is still there. Not taken apart ;-)

But here is one little picture which is already at my gallery. You just cannot see it when you go through the other pictures because it is in the overview gallery.

ms_mermaid_overview23.jpg

-Aredhel

This is a really nice little ship!

I love the meramid figurehead *wub* , as a matter of fact, I might (as Phes suggested) copy it over to the Triton's Vengeance :)