Title: The BrickGun Book

Author: Jeff Boen

Place of Publication: San Francisco, California USA

Publisher: No Starch Press, Inc.

Date of Publication: May 2013

ISBN-10: 1-59327-490-4

ISBN-13: 978-1-59327-490-0

Number of Pages: 232 in four colors

Dimensions: 8” x 10” x 1/2” thick (20.2cm x 25.4 cm x 1.27 cm thick)

Reviewed By: David G. Luders

[NOTE: This book is not authorized or endorsed by The Lego Group. LEGO® is a registered trademark of The Lego Group, but in this Book Review I use the word “LEGO” without the trademark symbol for readability.]

INTRODUCTION

As stated in the YouTube video above, ‘The BrickGun Book shows you how to build five remarkably sleek LEGO® handgun replicas, like the classic Beretta 92FS and a formidable rubber-band-firing MAC-11. Each chapter includes step-by-step building instructions and a complete parts list using only readily available LEGO pieces. Builder Jeff Boen has designed each model with stunning accuracy and attention to detail, focusing on everything from 1:1 real-life scale to functioning cocking and trigger mechanisms. Each BrickGun is ultra-realistic in look and feel, but mostly harmless -- perfect for display or your next backyard battle.”

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

The author wrote, “WARNING -- Adult supervision is required. These models are not suitable for children under the age of 12.” The first four models do not fire projectiles, but “The MAC-11 shoots rubber bands….Be particularly careful when handling [all of] these models in public because they have been mistaken for real weapons. If you take your LEGO gun out in public, add a bright orange tip to the muzzle to show that it’s not the real thing.”

SUMMARY OF CONTENT

Chapter 1: BG22 with Magazine – 299 Total Parts and 69 Unique Part Types

BrickGun_-_BG22_with_Magazine.jpg

BrickGun_-_BG22_w_Mag_Instruction_Sample.gif

BrickGun_-_BG22_with_Magazine_cutaways.jpg

Chapter 2: Beretta 92FS – 263 Total Parts and 69 Unique Part Types

sm_BrickGun_92FS_Img_04.jpgsm_BrickGun_92FS_Img_05.jpg

BrickGun_-_92FS_Instruction_Sample.gif

Chapter 3: Desert Eagle – 290 Total Parts and 78 Unique Part Types

BrickGun_DEGG_Release.jpg

BrickGun_-_Desert_Eagle_Instruction_Sample.gif

Chapter 4: Colt 1911 – 268 Total Parts and 67 Unique Part Types

BrickGun_-_1911_v2.0_Release.jpg

BrickGun_-_1911_Instruction_Sample.gif

Chapter 5: MAC-11 Rubber Band – 312 Total Parts and 61 Unique Part Types

sm_MAC11_RB_image_01.gifsm_MAC11_RB_image_02.gifsm_MAC11_RB_image_03.gif

BrickGun_-_MAC_11_RB_Instruction_Sample.gif

RECOMMENDATION

Gun aficionados would enjoy building these realistic LEGO models. One can appreciate the author’s engineering of each gun’s trigger and slide movements. The illustrations are superbly done with LDraw software – they are similar in style to the building instruction booklets in official LEGO sets. The BrickGun 1911 is my favorite. Click on the hyperlinks below each of these images to enlarge them and see the details:

bgb_sample_thumb.png

http://nostarch.com/.../bgb_sample.png

bgb_sample_32-33_thumb.png

http://nostarch.com/...ample_32-33.png

bgb_sample_208-209_thumb.png

http://nostarch.com/...ple_208-209.png

The print book has sharper lines and better color rendition than can be seen on a computer screen, or on a PDF page printed on a color laser jet. The print book is a good value at USD $0.129 per page. The paper is of high quality.

As the author suggests, one can get the necessary LEGO parts from Bricklink.com . If you like both weapons and LEGO, this book is for you!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

If you would like to order this book, it is available on the publisher’s website in print book form and/or Ebook.

The book is also available at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...ywords=brickgun .

Visit the author’s BrickGun website: http://www.brickgun.com/ .

BrickGun_Logo.gif

What a hideous product. :thumbdown:

I don't know if it is hideous or not but this review certainly does not provide much in the way of answers.

DLuders, you have done a lovely job of previewing the book and providing us with advertising copy. Any chance you could add some actual review content? Perhaps share some WIP pics form your building of one of the models? Your thoughts on the ease of use of the instructions?

As it stands now I don't even know if you built ANY of the models.

I'm not offended by guns. Just the glorification of them. However I'm not going to be drawn into debate because it will only descend into pointless mud flinging.

I'm not offended by guns. Just the glorification of them.

I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with you. People can build all the guns they want out of whatever they want (if it's not in the purpose of hurting others), but I personally can't help but to feel a little nauseated about this guide. :sceptic:

Sandy and Jargo, I'm gonna actually have to agree with you two on this. I'm pro gun rights, but...I dunno. Somehow this feels not right.

If you have a problem with guns or the product in general then don't comment. It's as simple as that. :ugh:

While DLuders didn't build any of the models, I appreciate his review. It's a cool book and something I would have loved to have had as a kid; because I loved playing with guns, as any sane boy does.

If you have a problem with guns or the product in general then don't comment. It's as simple as that. :ugh:

What kind of logic is that?

Only positive comments are allowed on any given subject? What's the point of having a discussion forum if everyone just agrees with each other all the time?

Heck yeah I'm going to comment if I have a problem with a product. Someone's making money by turning my favorite hobby into realistic projectile weapons that can even be used to cause pain. I'm in my full rights to say that nauseates me.

Someone may argue that these models are no different from the LEGO cannons that can be shot, but like Jargo said, it's not the fact that some of these models actually "work", it's the fact that they glorify handguns. We all know what guns have done to humankind, and that's what makes me nauscious. You are free to disagree, but that's how I feel about this book. I would never recommend it to a single person.

What kind of logic is that?

Only positive comments are allowed on any given subject? What's the point of having a discussion forum if everyone just agrees with each other all the time?

Heck yeah I'm going to comment if I have a problem with a product. Someone's making money by turning my favorite hobby into realistic projectile weapons that can even be used to cause pain. I'm in my full rights to say that nauseates me.

Someone may argue that these models are no different from the LEGO cannons that can be shot, but like Jargo said, it's not the fact that some of these models actually "work", it's the fact that they glorify handguns. We all know what guns have done to humankind, and that's what makes me nauscious. You are free to disagree, but that's how I feel about this book. I would never recommend it to a single person.

What makes me nauseous is your abhorrent distaste for handguns in a world that has been forged by them in the last hundred or so years. If it wasn't for handguns, and guns in general, the world would be a lot worse because, well, do I need to explain this. Also, quite a double standard when it seems these same people have no issue with, as far as I know, guns in LEGO themes or Brickarms. How are these any different than a brick built gun. Heck, children probably get bricks and build them in the shape of a guns to play, I know I did this when I was young.

"Someone's making money by turning my favorite hobby into realistic projectile weapons that can even be used to cause pain."

It's everyone's hobby here, maybe some people enjoy making weapons. Is this much different than making a MOC of a large scale WW2 battle? It's violent as well. Also, as a community, wouldn't it be nicer to support the hard-work this fellow AFOL put into make this book, with it's unique MOCs and actual mechanisms for reloading etc... It's quite well done, but it's a taboo subject to you so no matter how nice they are, they're automatically dismissed as a whole.

Personally, if you have such a problem with handguns and guns in general. Then go out and protest, speak out, and make your voice heard. Don't attack members of the community you so graciously love; because that isn't going to do anything.

Edited by Rufus

This isn't really a review. It's just a lot of screenshots and then some simple math to determine price per page...which is a bit of information that is somewhat irrelevant.

What makes me nauseous is your abhorrent distaste for handguns in a world that has been forged by them in the last hundred or so years. If it wasn't for handguns, and guns in general, the world would be a lot worse because, well, do I need to explain this.

Well, yes, you kind of do. It's an extraordinary claim to be making, since nearly every major atrocity in the last several hundred years has been accomplished with the assistance of guns. Every oppressive regime has guns. Every violent criminal has them. The weapons in this book include some of the favorite sidearms for bad people all over the world. I sincerely fail to see how the world would be any worse if these things didn't exist.

Since I know the knee-jerk response to my statement is going to be that I'm obviously a hippy who doesn't understand about the need for a strong defense, let me head you off at the pass: I'm a combat veteran, and I'm still on the reserve lists to defend my homeland in time of need. I'm trained to drive and operate big damn killing machines. I know all about a strong defense. And none of that means that guns are good, or that their overall effect on the world has been a positive one.

I'm not one of the original posters who disliked the idea of this book, but I will defend their right to express their abhorrence, without having to suffer insults or condescension from people who do like guns. Not everybody likes them. I personally don't like them at all, and neither did the founders of the Lego Company. I think it's totally legitimate to say that this seems like an inappropriate use of Lego. That is NOT an attack on DLuders or on anybody else who does like the book. My philosophy is, "an it harm none, do what thou wilt." The "an it harm none" part is pretty important.

Edited by Gryphon Ink

Personally, if you have such a problem with handguns and guns in general. Then go out and protest, speak out, and make your voice heard. Don't attack members of the community you so graciously love; because that isn't going to do anything.

How am I attacking anyone? :wacko:

I voiced my opinion, you are free to have a different opinion (although I would LOVE to hear how handguns have made the world a better place, after so many school shootings and mass slaughters that could never have been committed with a blade weapon, for example). If you consider every disagreement as a personal attack, then you need to stay away from discussion boards, because your feelings are bound to get hurt.

Folks, I "reviewed" the book because the publisher (No Starch Press) sent one to me to evaluate. The book consists of 95% building instructions. I already indicated how good the instructions are. I could not replicate the pages because they are copyrighted. I only included the ones that the author himself, and the publisher, made available.

No, I did not build any of the five gun models because:

1) I lack the necessary parts,

2) I'm working on another, BIG Lego project which requires all of my available funds, and

3) I (personally) don't get "turned on" by building Lego guns.

In my review, I avoided the question whether it is IN GOOD TASTE or not to build Lego guns. I have seen full-size, Lego AK-47s at the Seattle, Washington Brickcon 2011 event. Many folks did not agree with these models, but they "are allowed" in a free society.

SO, if you like Lego guns, you will enjoy this book. If you don't like them, don't buy the book. The publisher must have done a "market survey" to ensure that it will make a profit on the venture.

SO, if you like Lego guns, you will enjoy this book. If you don't like them, don't buy the book. The publisher must have done a "market survey" to ensure that it will make a profit on the venture.

This ^

I don't believe guns are a good thing; but a necessary evil. There's a lot of violence int his world. But if it wasn't for guns in the hands of people who needed them to fight against oppression, many countries would be less free, so to speak. Case in point, the Allies in WW2 and WW1.

@ Sandy http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/man-attacks-22-kids-knife-china-school-article-1.1220230

My feelings are not hurt, I see not point in deliberately posting just to say you don't like guns and having DLuders (in his case, he doesn't mind) or others' feel ashamed for enjoying them. That is generally an attack, even it's in a indirect way.

I don't believe guns are a good thing; but a necessary evil. There's a lot of violence int his world. But if it wasn't for guns in the hands of people who needed them to fight against oppression, many countries would be less free, so to speak. Case in point, the Allies in WW2 and WW1.

If not for guns in the hands of the wrong people, the allies wouldn't have been needed at all. False logic.

Depicting modern, real life guns and violence is - and always has been - against what LEGO believes in. So I can definately understand why some people think it wrong to use LEGO in this way. On the other hand, our culture is filled with tons of different toy guns already - and LEGO themselves often use guns for historical and sci-fi purposes... so it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

a bit odd to use children's toys for making guns, but they look good, and it should be fun builds as well.

Choice of theme for building is discussable, but anyone is free to choose their topic to build. That's the fun thing about Lego. You can make anything with it. Some people think of fantasy, some of architecture, and some of killing people :wink:

And furthermore, using children's toys for making weapons can also be seen as a statement. Because it feels wrong, people will think about the whole weapons-issue, and the discussion whether guns are good or bad will start in no-time.