This is my latest MOC based around life on Hadrian's Wall that I'd like to share with you.

Evidence for the worship of the Roman god Mithras begins to appear in the 1st century AD and disappears sometime in the 4th century. The cult of worshiping Mithras is usually thought to be of Persian origin, however since no ancient source preserves the god’s mythology, such an assumption should be treated with caution. Whatever its origins, from at least the 3rd century the cult became popular among members of the military stationed in Britain and as such temples were erected in the forts along Hadrian’s Wall, with a particularly well preserved example being located at Carrawburgh.

15022306926_fbd1a135ce_b.jpg

All temples featured a representation, be it in relief, statue or fresco, of Mithras killing a bull. This is known today as a "tauroctony", and appears in the same format everywhere, though minor variations do exist. While most temples were built underground, representing the cave in which Mithras slew the bull, this was not possible on Hadrian’s Wall. Temples were therefore constructed in a way that mimicked caves, usually only being lit by torchlight and small openings in the roof. This MOC is roughly based on the temple at Carrawburgh, although I have opted for a far grander tauroctony than was actually present at the site. This is not to take anything from the archaeological remains at Carrawburgh, which still possesses three fine shrines dating from the 3rd century and is well worth visiting.

15042229701_2396349650_b.jpg

This MOC is my first attempt at an interior of a building, my first go at creating mosaics and my first use of lighting as part of the MOC itself – so incorporating all of these meant it took me a bit longer to build than expected! I also wanted to create a temple that didn’t conform to the classic Greco-Roman style; I feel there are enough really good Lego examples of these already in circulation.

14858741158_716ee6ab53_b.jpg

Many thanks for viewing and C&C is more than welcome.

Wow those mosaic patterns are insane!

I love the Roman period (I'm a historian in the making), and would love to do some antiquity-MOCcing, but I only have like 5 legionairs :cry_sad:

Nice!!

I love the Roman period (I'm a historian in the making), and would love to do some antiquity-MOCcing, but I only have like 5 legionairs :cry_sad:

Be happy with them. I have only 2.

Nice!!

Be happy with them. I have only 2.

It's so sad! Why didn't we buy more of them..

The problem is, I went to Italy a couple of months ago and this was before I got into Bricklink. I saw maybe twenty of them on a market for 5 euro/piece. I thought "Wow that's crazy, I never pay that amount for a minifigure!".

Now (four Bricklink orders, including 20 LotR minifigures, later) I wish that I would have bought them all.

Edited by Trunkbass

Great work!! The details are stunning! I love the smooth stud-less look everything has. The use of cheese slopes is mindbogglingly brilliant, although I think the pillars deserve a mention too- despite being quite plain looking (after all they are just wooden pillars) I really like the look they have, as you could have just used a lot of large brown support pillars, but you've gone and put in the extra effort to brick build them. It's just that extra mile than shows the dedication that's been put into this MOC. That and the historical meaning and the information provided makes this a special MOC in my mind. Please continue!

Very nice! I really like the stone floor! All those grey cheese slopes in different directions! The mosaics are great too. Thank you for the historical detail as it brings so much feeling to this fantastic build.

Really nice work! Words cannot describe how awesome this is. Very good detailing, I love the mosaic (or stained glass window?) and the stripes you've added to the walls. The statue at the front is well done, and the cobblestone flooring is genius! Great work!

Edited by ManInATopHat

Absolutely beautiful. The lighting really looks fantastic in this moc, and I never knew about the bull scenes. Excellent!

:classic:

Wow those mosaic patterns are insane!

Thanks very much Trunkbass. You could make a great little vignette with 5 legionnaires. Just get yourself a Roman Commander and you’ll have a neat little detachment to play with.

Wow, this is just awesome, I love all the details! :wub_drool::thumbup:

Thanks Behemoth!

Great work!! The details are stunning! I love the smooth stud-less look everything has. The use of cheese slopes is mindbogglingly brilliant, although I think the pillars deserve a mention too- despite being quite plain looking (after all they are just wooden pillars) I really like the look they have, as you could have just used a lot of large brown support pillars, but you've gone and put in the extra effort to brick build them. It's just that extra mile than shows the dedication that's been put into this MOC. That and the historical meaning and the information provided makes this a special MOC in my mind. Please continue!

Thanks for your comment Mutant Orc, I’m glad you like the little details as I tried to get them to be as authentic as possible.

Very nice! I really like the stone floor! All those grey cheese slopes in different directions! The mosaics are great too. Thank you for the historical detail as it brings so much feeling to this fantastic build.

Thank you very much adventurer1. These are the first mosaics I’ve ever made, so I’m glad you like them.

Lovely work.

Thanks frumpy!

Really nice work! Words cannot describe how awesome this is. Very good detailing, I love the mosaic (or stained glass window?) and the stripes you've added to the walls. The statue at the front is well done, and the cobblestone flooring is genius! Great work!

Thanks very much ManInATopHat. It is meant to be a mosaic or fresco.

Absolutely beautiful. The lighting really looks fantastic in this moc, and I never knew about the bull scenes. Excellent!

:classic:

Thanks very much robuko!

Edited by Macsen Wledig

Love the wall mosaic and the floor texture :)

Thanks very much, IenjoyLego89.

Superb mosaic work, that mural is awesome and the floor looks great

Thanks, Steph 104th. it was great fun putting it together!

wow! I love Roman design and Roman army!

Thanks Black Numenorean', I love it too!

That's just great. Must have taken forever to get those mosacis right. :P

[

That's just great. Must have taken forever to get those mosacis right. :P

Thanks mccoyed, it took ages!

One of the best Mosaics I've ever seen! Amazing MOC.

Thanks MontyPython, that's really kind of you.

Brilliant use of cheeses here to give it all a 'mosaic' look, and the scale and shape really gives the right feel to the scene. I've always loved Roman architecture and you've done it justice here.

Brilliant use of cheeses here to give it all a 'mosaic' look, and the scale and shape really gives the right feel to the scene. I've always loved Roman architecture and you've done it justice here.

Thanks very much Flobnomdob.

Very impressive cheese work. How do you stop them falling out when you put them vertically?

Thanks TheBear. These mosaics fit pretty snugly into their frames so they stay in using friction alone. It does pay to be a bit careful with them though as they will come out if knocked about.

I rarely comment, but this one is just amazing. If you allow:

Why not give Mithras a Phrygian Cap? The hat from the lawn gnome could work. It is coloured but that is much of a problem since most Roman statues were actually brightly coloured. (Although that might not work with Lego).

Great work, fellow Celt. I really like your Hadrian wall creations!

I rarely comment, but this one is just amazing. If you allow:

Why not give Mithras a Phrygian Cap? The hat from the lawn gnome could work. It is coloured but that is much of a problem since most Roman statues were actually brightly coloured. (Although that might not work with Lego).

Thanks bery much Flieger. I did toy with the idea of a Phrygian Cap and I did buy a gnome cap for that purpose. I also experimented with some different coloured body parts. However, when I put it all together with the bull and the mural etc, it just didn't look right to me and the contrast between a white statue and the coloured mural just looked better. So in the end I took the decision to remove it, sacrificing a bit of accuracy for aesthetics. I appreciate that this is really just a matter of personal taste!

Great work, fellow Celt. I really like your Hadrian wall creations!

Thanks very much, Manx!

The statue placement and mosaic behind it are amazing. Patience!

I need to practice some. I am building a castle right now. I should do something like this with the floor to mix it up a bit.