Sign in to follow this  
Captain Green Hair

Which motor is better, XL or the new L?

As some of you might remember I'm making a hopeless attempt a remote controlled Tiger Tank.

I'm now wondering if the new L motors are more suitable then the XL motors, as they tend to destroy everything?

Do they have enough torque to drive this heavy machinery?

Hope you guys can point me in the right direction, thanks!

I've been working on a lego t110 (are you a W.O.T. player?) and found that the XL motors work great wth a direct drive.

Are those gears skipping when faced with too much resistance?

http://www.philohome...s/motorcomp.htm This site has all you'll ever need to know about the Lego motors. From what I can gather, If you gear down the L Motor to around the same level as a XL Motor is (2:1) the L motor doesn't have as much torque OR speed.

If the XL motor is "destroying everything" are you sure you have braced it properly? Otherwise the gears slip, don't perform as well or (worse) make a horrible "clicking" noise and get wrecked.

Edited by legomuppet9

http://www.philohome...s/motorcomp.htm This site has all you'll ever need to know about the Lego motors. From what I can gather, If you gear down the L Motor to around the same level as a XL Motor is (2:1) the L motor doesn't have as much torque OR speed.

If the XL motor is "destroying everything" are you sure you have braced it properly? Otherwise the gears slip, don't perform as well or (worse) make a horrible "clicking" noise and get wrecked.

Actually, if you geared the L motor down 2:1, I think it would have the same torque as the XL Motor, but it would have more speed.

Actually, if you geared the L motor down 2:1, I think it would have the same torque as the XL Motor, but it would have more speed.

Interessting. What is also quite interessting is the PF Train at 9V, which has a very nice amount of RPM output and the Torque isnt even bad. Could be kinda interessting for an RC maiby?

Too late but. Simply said L motors are much better to use. I currently have 12 of those and only 3 XL.

Edited by pjurkovi