16 members have voted

1. 1. -----

• 1-Horrible
    • 2-Below Average
    • 3-Average
    • 4-Above Average
    • 5-Great

indexed.gif

I still remember when I got this set in 2000. One day my mom came home from shopping and offered me either 5921 Research Glider or 6026 King Leo . Seeing that 5921 had a bigger box I chose it over King Leo, then went straight to building. It's one of the smaller sets in the Dino Island theme, but still fits in well. In case you aren't familiar with the story it goes along the lines that: one day Johnny Thunder and his gang discovered a secret Island that was teeming with dinosaurs (*cough* King Kong *cough*). Since Johnny and his team are scientists, they decide to research the dinosaurs in hopes of learning more about them.

That brings us to this set Mike, one of Johnny's men has set out in his glider to capture some Pterodons. 5921 includes Mike and his glider and a small tree with a nest for the Pterodon.

So without further ado I present to you the 8th wonder of the Lego world: "5921 Research Glider"!

Name: Research Glider

Theme: Adventurers - Dino Island

Set Number: 5921

Pieces: 56

Year released: 2000

Minifigures: 1

Price: USD 6.00 (when released)

Helpful links:

Peeron

Brickset

My Brickshelf

Box

The box had the same theme that the other Dino Island sets had. I personally like the brown borders and volcano in the background. It just seems very fitting for an Adventurers theme Lego box. However since this set is about 9 years old I no longer have it's original box, so here's Peeron's picture of it:

5921_box.jpg

Minifigs

There is only one minifig in the set, but that's fine for a $6 dollar set, especially considering it also has a tan Pterodon to play with.

Mike

If you follow the story the minifig's name is Mike. I like his torso decal, it seems that he's still too young to carry a gun and instead wields a slingshot to scare off angry dinos. He also wears a matching brown vest and kepi.

researc_glider_002trtim_1.jpg

Accessories

This set only has one or two accessories (depending on how you look at it :wink: ), including a large stick with a chain stuck on the end. I think it's meant to capture the pesky Pterodon although, I think that may be near impossible as it must weigh a ton. The set's second accessory is also it's only spare piece (a 1 by 1 circular plate), which can be used as a "Pterodon egg", that Mike might also want to collect.

researc_glider_004_1.jpg

Pterodon

The Dino Island theme is the only theme that included Pterodon's. In this set the 1 piece Pterodon is tan. It's easy to attach stuff to it, since there are two studs on the top of it, and there are 4 on the bottom (inversed studs that is). I for one think it's a fine piece that could see plenty of use in museum or Dinosaur MOCs.

researc_glider_005_1.jpg

Models

There are two main models in this set a tree and the glider.

Tree Overview

The tree is built on a small rock formation made up of mostly standard 2 by 4's and 2 by 6's, although it's not the prettiest rock design out there at least Lego tried, and besides it never hurts to have a few extra pieces in old grey. The tree also doesn't look that great, but I do like the leaves and nest they included.

researc_glider_017trim_1.jpg

Foliage and Nest

I've zoomed in on the nest and foliage to give you a better view. It's nice they included a nest, but I think the 2 by 2 round plate should have been printed to make it look less... dull.

researc_glider_018trim_1.jpg

Tree Plus Pterodon

Lastly here's a picture of the pterodon perched on the tree. Am I the only one who thinks the tree is a bit too small compared to the pterodon? Then again I guess that is okay as this was only a $6ish dollar set.

researc_glider_020trim_1.jpg

Glider Overview

Now onto the "Glider" as Lego calls it even though it clearly has an engine and propeller on the back. It's a rather simple design that looks okay from the front but the back is way too boxy and bulky for my tastes. The wings are made from two sheets of printed plastic (think overhead projector slide) slipped onto a white lance.

researc_glider_007_1.jpg

Glider Back

The back of the "glider" is way too boxy as I said before, but I do like how the black taps and the rounded bricks are being used, as they provide a little bit of detail, in an otherwise bland set. The wings are also on a hinge brick to make it easier to put Mike in.

researc_glider_009_1.jpg

Glider wings

I like the printed design on the wings that makes the "glider" very makeshift looking which is very fitting for this theme.

researc_glider_012_1.jpg

Glider with Mike

Here's a shot of Mike in his "glider" wielding his "choke chain". Honestly the size of that thing scares me. Even though Mike has a steering wheel I still get the feeling he could just as easily hold his choke chain to one side or another to turn :wacko: .

researc_glider_014trim_1.jpg

Another Use for Choke Chain?

You know maybe the "choke chain", might just be some sort of safety feature on the "glider". When the minifig falls off (trust me he will when making a steep turn, as he doesn't have any walls to lean against and can only hold on to the steering wheel), he can just toss the chain up around the glider then climb back up. Here's a picture of Mike "demonstrating".

researc_glider_022trim_1.jpg

The Whole Set

We have time for just one more picture so let's see the entire set together, shall we?

researc_glider_025trimedit_1.jpg

Rating Time!

Price 9/10 The price isn't bad for what you get.

Playability 8/10 I think Lego did a good job here in terms of playability; it is fun to fly the "glider" around chasing Pterodons while looting their nests for eggs.

Minifigures 8/10 Mike is a really nice minifigure with plenty of detail, but I think it would have been nice to get a few more accessories

Design 5/10 The set's design is mediocre at best. There's nothing really special about it and overall it seems rather plain.

Average 7.5/10

Overview

5921 is a decent set overall built from mostly standard pieces. Although there is nothing really special it does include a rather nice minifig, and a bunch of useful standard pieces. If you're into Adventurer themed sets you should definitely pick it up from E-Bay or Bricklink. If not this set still may be of some use to you if you are a Castle or Steampunk fan. By itself it isn't that bad of a standalone set if you don't have any other Dino Island sets. I gave it a 3.5 or a 4 out of 5 - how about you?

Thanks for that fine review of this pretty nifty and well playable set, MacK. :classic:

I especially like that little tree, it´s not very often to find that TLC´s including some

environmental vegetation in their sets especially in a more prominent than in just a

plain decorative way.

Good review for a good set, I have few Adventure sets to my regret...

But you get a double :thumbup: from me anyway! :laugh:

This is a really nice review, but I'm sorry to say that I think the set is horrible. Aside from the minifig, Mike, that I've always liked, and the Pterodon, the rest of the set looks like some extra pieces thrown together. I've got a number of the Dino Island sets, which is my least favorite of the Adventurer sub-themes, but I never picked this one up.

Thanks for the review,

I'm owning this set myself and must say I like it. The design is not that great, but i love the minifig. Besides that its good that we finally got a other way of airtransport.

Like the other I love this minifig, I wonder... will Mike have small legs today? Mike is a kid at all...

I still have a Pterodon,he is still one of my favorite Lego animals, but I lost glider wings... :cry_sad:

Funny fact:

When I got this set I thougt that red thing on the top of wings is meat to lure disnosaur :laugh:

Edited by Lordofdragonss

Well thanks for all of the nice comments :sweet: .

I’m also glad no one caught on to the semi obvious mistake that I made regarding the minifig :blush: . Can anyone spot it?

Thanks for that fine review of this pretty nifty and well playable set, MacK. :classic:

I especially like that little tree, it’s not very often to find that TLC´s including some

environmental vegetation in their sets especially in a more prominent than in just a

plain decorative way.

I agree with you completely that it's nice that TLG included a tree. Honestly if this set was re-released today they wouldn't have included the tree and instead just the glider. I hope that they start including more of vegetation soon besides the Indy sets; none seem to have any including which is bad for MOCing.

Good review for a good set, I have few Adventure sets to my regret...

But you get a double :thumbup: from me anyway! :laugh:

Thanks, I also have only a few a few Adventurers sets I only have this one and the All terrain Dino trapper (I think that’s what it’s called. I really wish I could go back in time and buy more

This is a really nice review, but I'm sorry to say that I think the set is horrible. Aside from the minifig, Mike, that I've always liked, and the Pterodon, the rest of the set looks like some extra pieces thrown together. I've got a number of the Dino Island sets, which is my least favorite of the Adventurer sub-themes, but I never picked this one up.

Well the design isn’t great as you said, but this was only a $6 dollar set so I guess it was the best they could do. Oh well I guess it’s always good to have a few random extra pieces in your collection.

Thanks for the review,

I'm owning this set myself and must say I like it. The design is not that great, but i love the minifig. Besides that its good that we finally got a other way of airtransport.

Indeed Mike is a pretty sweet minifig, I always found plenty of uses for him. You’re right also that we get a new transport as bad as the design is I guess it might inspire builders to make better versions.

Funny fact:

When I got this set I thougt that red thing on the top of wings is meat to lure disnosaur :laugh:

Haha you know maybe that’s what the red thing is, I mean we’ve already got a giant Choke chain why not throw in a big chunk of meat?