DarthSion

PlayStation general discussion

Anyone interested in getting a thread going?, this will cover all 4 PS systems, i own all 4 so if you need help i know most stuff.

Ill get the ball rolling, tried our mini ninjas and wet demo over the weekend.

Wet, uber uber lame, has like a 1920s film look to it, and you cant kill someone point blank range.

Mini Ninjas on the other hand, everyone should try it, its kiddy game but fun as hell, and very nicely done, and very pretty.

In the next few hours PSN update will happen in the EU (USA with in 24), they are releasing TFU tatooine mission, which im getting even though I'm getting the remake.

So anyone got anything to add?.

Sure! I love the PlayStation and I (still) have (and use) them all! On the subject of demos, I downloaded the Arkham Asylum demo last week, finished it, and boy is it good! :wub: Finally there could be a good Batman game!

Ah most people think I'm odd as i have all of them, and they all work.

Been meaning to try out that batman, how big is the download size?.

Ah most people think I'm odd as i have all of them, and they all work.

Not odd at all. You just must take care of your things. :sweet: I have loads of old computer stuff though; a C64, Apple II, BBC B, Amiga... :tongue:

Been meaning to try out that batman, how big is the download size?.

I'll check later, but I recall it's big; around 1.5 GB.

Yeah i do, and yeah i did have a C64 but it died.

Ok, i should just google it.

Also i will ad for anyone who missed the gamescon thread, PS3slim officially goes on sale 3.9.09 in the USA, although some places are already selling it, and the rest of the world by the end of next week.

Also FW3.0 is out 1.9.09, not a really good update again, animated avatars though, and no cross game chat, which is not coming supposedly thanks to Harry Plopper, yeah the last game that was out it seems EA made a big stink over it and that's why Sony isn't doing it, and why custom music never took off.

Speaking of which, stay right away from EA forums, don't know whats happened, but I'm being told by several people i know people are spamming with, ah um, well lets just say its gone down the toilet, literally.

Back to nice stuff, seriously cant stress enough that people get the demo of mini ninjas, i want this more than R&C ACIT, and i am a massive ratchet and clank fan.

Edited by DarthSion

I downloaded the Arkham Asylum demo last week, finished it, and boy is it good! :wub: Finally there could be a good Batman game!

Interesting, I've been having doubts about it, but maybe I'll cave after all :classic:

Oh and we can discuss hardware here as well right, because I have this issue with my PS3...

I can't seem to play DVD's on it. I read somewhere that it sometimes depends on the update, but I haven't been able to watch my DVD's for like 10 updates now, so...

Did anyone else have this problem, and did they solve it ? If so, how ?

Thanks in advance :blush:

Oh and I have PS 1-3 and my sister owns the PSP :tongue:

Greetings,

CF W

Yes we can, hmm thats odd, not heard of that problem, have you tried restore system defaults, and tried different settings, have you tried to copy the dvd to the ps3, is it the right region, eg EU PS3, USA dvd disk, do you get any warnings, are you trying to play dvd with hdmi option enabled but you dont have hdmi cable?.

yay im a count.

Edited by DarthSion

Wow, so many thinga to check :oh:

Well... I buy all my DVD's in Holland, so the region should be right.

I could check the HDMI stuff and the other settings, but I'm kind of a technical n00b (took me almost a year to connect to PSN on that thing... :blush: )

And no, I don't get any warning... when I put the DVD in, the screen flicks to black and stays that way :wacko:

Thanks anyway :sweet:

And congrats on becoming a Count :wink:

Greetings,

CF W

Edited by CF WeaZZel

Ok, so fine write down here all your settings that are dvd releated.

And thanks.

Also people, TATOOINE is up on EU PSN and the 2.00patch, should be up on USA as well.

Also 720p vignettes for Suzume, Tora, Shun, and Futo from Mini Ninjas (EU PSN, maybe USA), each about 60mbs.

Thanks for the link DarthSion. The new R and C game looks awesome. I really enjoyed playing Tools of Destruction while quote, helping the kids, along with Quest for Booty (haven't finished either yet, we're in the middle of too many games). :blush: I concur with the walrus, the new Batman game looks amazing. I tried out the Dissidia demo yesterday, on the PSP, and it really had me twitching for more.

Yeah it looks massive bigger than any other game, that's the beauty of having a 50gig disk.

Did you ever play the PS2 games, they were great fun, i own all the games on disk even QFB.

Yeah i should try batman demo, but had too much other stuff to download, and i really cant wait for mini ninjas.

Isn't it funny how the more kiddy games tend to be the funnest, like the lego games, and mini ninjas.

I am thinking of getting a PS3 for Blu-Ray and new Final Fantasy games, however I am not sure about the backwards compatibility (I am a bit stuck in the late 91s/early 00s for tv console gaming) what are the different types of PS3 like?

At the moment I'm thinking of getting a player and a PSone...

Also: There are but two games on PSP I want, FFVII Crisis Core and Dissidia (I see a pattern emerging here...) are there any other games that might be worth getting and therefore worth getting another console on top of my DS (I like Another Code, Pokemon and Guilty Gear on DS).

Any Ideas?

Cool, didn't know about this topic.

I am thinking of getting a PS3 for Blu-Ray and new Final Fantasy games, however I am not sure about the backwards compatibility (I am a bit stuck in the late 91s/early 00s for tv console gaming) what are the different types of PS3 like?

Also: There are but two games on PSP I want, FFVII Crisis Core and Dissidia (I see a pattern emerging here...) are there any other games that might be worth getting and therefore worth getting another console on top of my DS (I like Another Code, Pokemon and Guilty Gear on DS).

Any Ideas?

The Ps3 I have can play Ps1 games (but for some reason not Ps2 ones... :angry: ) I don't know if the different versions have model numbers or anything, but mine was gotten last Christmas, and is a 160GB, so it was not the earliest version. Maybe you could look into the slimline version coming soon, though i'm unaware of what features are to be expected.

I'd say you could get any model Ps3, and a cheap Ps1. I got one for around 30 Euro with many games about a year ago.

Don't know much about PSP's. But they can be very fun at times.

Any Ideas?

I too am going to get a PS3 for the upcoming Final Fantasies! However, I'm waiting 'till September to get the PS3 Slim. You should look into it :classic:

I can't speak for the PSP though, I've never really wanted one (Though I admit Dissidia looks good, I personally can't by a console or handheld just for one game. Some of my friends do just that, but I think it's ridiculous :sadnew: )

I have yet to get the PSP, but I have all three of the others. :sweet: When Nintendo continued using cartridges, I decided to buy the Playstation.

Crash Bandicoot made it a must for me to buy the Playstation 2. I especially enjoyed the Ratchet and Clank series.

Most thought that the PS3 at its original value was insanely overpriced, but I thought that since it included a Blu-Ray player, it was well worth it.

Who else is excited for Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time and Final Fantasy XIII? :sweet:

I have yet to get the PSP, but I have all three of the others. :sweet: When Nintendo continued using cartridges, I decided to buy the Playstation.

Crash Bandicoot made it a must for me to buy the Playstation 2. I especially enjoyed the Ratchet and Clank series.

Most thought that the PS3 at its original value was insanely overpriced, but I thought that since it included a Blu-Ray player, it was well worth it.

Who else is excited for Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time and Final Fantasy XIII? :sweet:

Final Fantasy XIII! Can't wait! Though what I'm really excited for is Final Fantasy Versus XIII! Alas, it almost seems that game will never come out :cry_sad:

I'm planning on getting a used PS3 after the price drop. What would a reasonable price be for a used PS3 after the price drops to 299?

Any Ideas?

Ok this is my expertise, well don't hold your breath, one of the FF might be out this year, not likely outside of JP.

Alright, the gen1 ps3 which were the original launch ones could play psx ps2 and ps3, Sony decided in order to cut costs to drop ps2 bc as it requires hardware emu (emulation), the only way to play ps2 games is with the gen1 ps3, the only way to get that is eBay, or ah do you guys have EB games?, either way they will cost you more.

Sony denies they are doing BC for PS2, but they patent software for part of what is needed to run ps2 off ps3 with software emu, and say they wont do it, like they wouldn't do a ps3 slim.

The only difference since the first ps3 and now is no playing ps2 games, better and smaller sku's and better reliability.

All ps3 game play psx games.

Now, as for Blu, while Sony owns Blu and most movies are region free, some are region locked, which means some movies you can get from America, some you cant, i advise you to bookmark this site, unless you are only going to buy from the UK.

I Believe like me you are region B.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

I also recommend this site, it has lots of info on up coming movies and tv shows on blu and special features, be careful of the forums they are full of fanboys, and some male users can be rude, especially to females who ask basic questions.

http://www.blu-ray.com/

Yes someone is a FF fangirl, now psp is another whole can of worms, I'm not sure if the UK has PSPgo, but if you get one the only way to play games is to download them as it has no UMD drive, personally i would get a psp3000.

Now one thing to remember in order to use the PSP online you must, repeat must pay for your own connection, you can access psn for free, but online gaming requires you to have a wifi isp.

I am afraid i am anti nintendo, so i don't know anything about those games, one thing you can do is play you can play psx games, but you need to either download them off psn and pay, or you can get them free depending on your morals.

I cant recommend any games for the psp, not my strong spot, its more just when I'm bored with ps3, and i don't follow psp as much as it was free for me, but there is a large range of games I'm sure there is something you would like.

As for those saying you should look into a ps3 slim, you will have no choice, the ps3fat has been in short supply for months, personally i would wait and see how the ps3 handles, newer models tend to be buggy.

Also Sony is supposedly going to do a 250gig HDD.

Ok, I'm sure your pulling your hair out and saying shut up Alan (ha for once a guy driving a girl nuts gas bagging).

Next in line Satellite Jack, i thought you were American, best buy is already selling them, so are other places in the USA.

Maybe look into the games, there is a large selection, cant speak for price though, mine was free.

Adam, yes very much cant wait for R&C, and more so for the action figures.

JCC1004, hmm, well it depends, ebay is a cheap option, personally i would pay extra and get one from EBgames, and get a warranty, allot of people said i was nuts when i got an extended 2 year when i got my ps3, showed them when theirs died after a year and waited months to get it back.

I think that's everyone.

Edited by DarthSion

Next in line Satellite Jack, i thought you were American, best buy is already selling them, so are other places in the USA.

Maybe look into the games, there is a large selection, cant speak for price though, mine was free.

Say what?! And I was just in Best Buy the other day buying Metroid Prime Trilogy! :cry_sad:

And I already know which game I'll be getting for the PS3 first: Batman Arkham Asylum

Speaking of BAA: I heard that Gamestop is giving away Dem Bones with the Regular Editions. Anyone know if it's true? DarthSion, perhaps? You seem to be well informed :tongue:

Yeah mate its all over the ps news, best buy is selling them, the guys at gizmodo already have one, i have also read Kmart (USA for any Aussies reading they not owned by the USA), and amazon is also selling them, several places is the USA have started selling them.

http://gizmodo.com/5345241/some-best-buys-...d-we-bought-one

Not according to their website they aren't, lol, yeah i seem to know allot, but I'm an Aussie so i tend to skip offers for the USA.

And haven't been really following BAA, not a batman fan, i heard they supposed to release free dlc though.

Wait gamestop owns EBgames America?.

On a side note, i have heard the power cable is different with the PS3slim and if you intend to buy one from another country then you need a power converter, not sure if its right.

Edited by DarthSion

The Comic Con trailer for A Crack in Time:

And for Final Fantasy XIII:

I'm very excited about the new space flight feature in R&C. :sweet:

Did you ever play the PS2 games, they were great fun, i own all the games on disk even QFB.

Unfortunately no, we only discovered Ratchet and Clank when we got our PS3 and downloaded the demo.

Yeah i should try batman demo, but had too much other stuff to download, and i really cant wait for mini ninjas.

Yes, I'm starting to get the impression you are really excited about mini ninjas. I think we may have downloaded the teaser of mini ninjas. It looked awfully cute and er, ninja-ish.

Edited by Walrus Keeper

Unfortunately no, we only discovered Ratchet and Clank when we got our PS3 and downloaded the demo.

Yes, I'm starting to get the impression you are really excited about mini ninjas. I think we may have downloaded the teaser of mini ninjas. It looked awfully cute and er, ninja-ish.

That's a pity, if you ever get the chance you should try them, but then that's just because I'm a huge fanboy, but they are great fun, which really surprised me, when i heard there was no blood in R&C i was like nah not my thing, but my best mate pushed me and glad he did.

Oh you cant even imagine mate, its like with R&C i thought it would be all lame because its more kiddy oriented, but god damn they did a great job of it, i mean its a great game for kids, but they also very smartly added stuff for hard core gamers like me, with stealth abilities, magic, changing characters, real ninja stuff like Shuriken, Caltrop, smoke bombs, running up walls, wall climbing, wall jumping, great story and funny, its just great to see how smart they are, they really went all out making it good for kids, and real authentic for HCG, right down to believable voice acting with good sounding Japanese accents.

Just gives me hope of things being like the old days, with good well balanced games, instead of either kids games, bogan games like GTA, horrible movie tie ins, and cash cows like well everything made by EA.

Yeah ill shut up now.

Edited by DarthSion

I have been quite a Playstation person all my life. I used to have the PS One, PS2 (Region 2), and PSP. Today, I have the Region 1 PS2, PS3, and PSP Slim. The only Nintendo console I ever got was the Wii. Even though there are some good games with interesting gameplay for it, most of the games are pretty lame.

I used to be a huge Crash Bandicoot fan. I loved all the games up until Twinsanity, including Crash Bash and the two Racing games. After that, the gameplay and pretty much everything about the games started to suck unfortunately.

One of my favorite games of all time is the Jak & Daxter saga. I found its humor and storytelling and overall quality to be much more mature than that of R&C. I really hope they continue the series on the PS3. The series still has much potential!

Since both of those series have been put on hold, I decided to give R&C a second chance, and I actually like it now (even though I'd still prefer Jak any day). I have played the first trilogy and the first PSP game and am now playing the first Future game. The animation, gameplay, and storytelling has come a long way since the first game. :thumbup: Seeing this kind of improvement on the Jak series would be epic IMO. :cry_happy: Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new R&C game. The space exploration part of it seems fun and the animation seems to be even better.

Another more recent Playstation game I have enjoyed is Mirror's Edge. I really like the whole idea of first-person platforming.

Btw, I heard that the PS3 Slim wont be backwards compatible. A shame really. Source.