scuotter

First Ship MOC

Hi All!

after looong time (too much, frankly) without lego, i've discovered, and almost fall in love with, the Imperial Flagship...but now it's out of sale, so i'll try to make something similar with my old lego sets.

Here the starting of my project: it's a slight small ship than the IF (i've based it on the BSB hull) but i'm trying to add details.

I've almost copied the deck from the IF, but the prow and the stern were detachable to allow the view of the interiors.

oj1o.th.jpg

I dont' like how the prow goes on (i haven't white rounded slope bricks to copy the IF design, maybe i can try with straight slopes...)

lvny.th.jpg

but i'm quite proud of the crew dorm (here with some SW Endor's troop).

xglp.th.jpg 0yzf.th.jpg rmfu.th.jpg

well, if you have any comment or suggestion they would be very appreciated.

thanks,

Marco

PS: sorry for my baaaaad english ;)

Yea, that's the style that I built my recent frigate, the eclipse

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89718

I personally think it looks better the slanted way, but you lose easy access to most of the interior (unless you end the slant early and have a removable top). Really it's personal preference.

However the bsb has only 3 mid sections, while my ship has 4 and the ship captain red hat made in the tutorial has 5 mids. You will have to experiment and see how it works.

(If you want to do it) ;p

Anyway, what type of ship are you making, a galleon,man o war, or more frigateish?

Good luck on your first ship.

However the bsb has only 3 mid sections, while my ship has 4 and the ship captain red hat made in the tutorial has 5 mids. You will have to experiment and see how it works.

It's perfectly possible to build a ship with only 3 mid sections with angled hull sides (I often find that a 5-long ship looks a bit too narrow), I advise however to reduce the height of this ship when you do (unless you would be building a 17th century galleon).

I find a two masted ship, such as a brig, very suitable for a three midsection-hull.

Some examples;

dsc09223.jpg

dsc07911.jpg

Edited by Sebeus I

I think you have a nice start here. I think you did right in placing the three guns on the same line, because placing them in an arc to simulate the lines of a round ship in a moc that short would make the moc like "breaking in two".

Let me leave you a tip: in a moc that short the risk is to grow too much in tallness, be careful in the planning the interiors :)

thank you all for your replies,

Good luck on your first ship.

It's perfectly possible to build a ship with only 3 mid sections with angled hull sides (I often find that a 5-long ship looks a bit too narrow), I advise however to reduce the height of this ship when you do (unless you would be building a 17th century galleon).

I find a two masted ship, such as a brig, very suitable for a three midsection-hull.

thanks for your suggestion: i'm not sure about the brig because i'll lose a lot of space for the interiors (i'm thinking to make a galleon from this one and a brig from a small hull which i have...i've got to buy at least a midsection for this one, or the brig will be almost as long as the galleon)

Yea, that's the style that I built my recent frigate, the eclipse

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=89718

I personally think it looks better the slanted way, but you lose easy access to most of the interior (unless you end the slant early and have a removable top). Really it's personal preference.

Anyway, what type of ship are you making, a galleon,man o war, or more frigateish?

Your ship is really nice! my compliments!!

i've noticed that my ship is quite short: i'm going to define the bow and stern design and interiors, as well as the captain's cabin, then i'll probably going to buy 1 to 3 midsections, depending on how tall the ship is become (and then i've to choose if i'd rather a slanted look or full interiors)

I think you have a nice start here. I think you did right in placing the three guns on the same line, because placing them in an arc to simulate the lines of a round ship in a moc that short would make the moc like "breaking in two".

Let me leave you a tip: in a moc that short the risk is to grow too much in tallness, be careful in the planning the interiors :)

thank you very much for your advice...i've already got a tallness problem :D, so i choose to finish the interiors and then increase the ship lenght with some more midsection. Also, i like the slanted look, but it's quite a problem both for the lacking of some interior and for the huge number of parts required (i'm not sure i've got at least half the hinges and jumper plates needed)

actually i'm very inclined to postpone the problem so i can make some experiment and choose the design...and then make an order on bricklink :D

Take a look at the master index before starting a "side" technique, there are so many ways to make sides... looking at completed MOCs could help you not to restart your project again and again..

I've got a couple completed jobs and a couple WIPs, for one of them I've bought custom instructions (ok, ok, shame on me...), not to follow step by step, but to make an overall look to customize myself. This could be a clever way to get a completed ship in short time, without buying too much useless (ok, ok, LEGOs are never useless.. shame on me part 2!) parts.

Edited by Matteo1130

Take a look at the master index before starting a "side" technique, there are so many ways to make sides... looking at completed MOCs could help you not to restart your project again and again..

I've got a couple completed jobs and a couple WIPs, for one of them I've bought custom instructions (ok, ok, shame on me...), not to follow step by step, but to make an overall look to customize myself. This could be a clever way to get a completed ship in short time, without buying too much useless (ok, ok, LEGOs are never useless.. shame on me part 2!) parts.

sorry...at the end it seems that i like restarting the projects many and many times :P

but at least i'll going to make just one side, and if i manage to finish it, order the parts to build the other :D

I've reworked the ship: since a 3 midsection ship is quite small, also for a brig, and it can't hold the crew dorm, the kitchen and the capts cabin, if i want to add also some guns and a small cargo bay, i've had to increase its lenght.

At this time i lack of midsections and, as usual, i can't wait to get some of them, so i've tryed to add some inverted slopes between the hull sections. - now it's equal to a 5 midsections lenght ship, which seems quite good to me -

'till now it not seems too bad, and it lets me experiment some slant build techniques; maybe if after some work the slopes aren't going to look like acceptable i'll going to get some real midsections and get rid of the slopes.

for now, just two images of the firsts steps of the modifications (the modified side and the old one)

o8nx.jpg

dna9.jpg

thank you!

i've almost made a side of the ship (it's lack of some bricks, but the general structure is here). Note that the capt's cabin is still just for dimensions reference.

I'm not sure that i like the slanted side design: it's nice to see it on the whole ship, but it's going to be too narrow on the top, forcing me to use just a 10 studs deck, which is SMALL :(

so probably i'll going back to a straight hull, which let me save some room, need for the interior detailing

Have you some suggestion? maybe enlarge the whole ship from the base, of...1-2 stud each side could be a solution to keep the sides slanted?

x1b8.th.jpg

u9o7.th.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing how the final end result of this ship comes out. Nice job so far!

well...after...almost 2 years...

she's here!

nave_s_giorgio_1.jpgnave_s_giorgio_2.jpgnave_s_giorgio_2.jpg

(i've made it just in time for an event on the 19th of october, but never posted the photos)

...and a small fun scene made to add movement on the baseplates

nave_s_giorgio_4.jpg

actually i'm working on it again, to increase the lenght of the hull, and maybe add some details (there's just a small portion of interiors: captains cabin and a central section of the hul (about 20 studs long).

Looks pretty good. It has a nice enhanced classic look to it with all the details. It's refreshing to see something besides another Brick Bounty mod too. Glad to see you got this finished. Keep it up!

Thank you very much!

Waiting for parts, i've reassembled the ship. here a couple of BAD quality photos just to depict the hull curve.

DSC_0017.jpg DSC_0018.jpg DSC_0019.jpg