1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

8019 Republic Attack Shuttle Reviewed by Dunamis

Just putting in my two cents on the Attack Shuttle to add to ReZourceman's review as well. Bring on the comments, complaints, gripes, etc. and let's talk about this set.

Set: 8019

Parts: 636 Pieces

Price: $59.99 from Toys R Us, Thousand Oaks, California

Build time: 75 minutes

Stickers: None!

Straight out of the Friday night Clone Wars cartoon (and movie) comes this nifty little ship. Of the new wave of 2009 sets, this is the one I’ve been most looking forward to. Sit back and sip some eggnog and let’s take a look at what this set has to offer:

The Box:

Typical Clone Wars LEGO set marketing with nothing special. I have noticed that LEGO has started putting the list of minifigs on the front of the box (top right corner) instead of the side.

Here is the front and back of the box:

8019-1.jpg

8019-2.jpg

Here are the goodies that came inside - eight bags and two manuals:

8019-3.jpg

8019-4.jpg

The Manual:

In effort to save film in my camera, I stopped taking photos of the manuals for my reviews. Just kidding, I am in the digital age and I haven’t used a film-based camera in ten years. I really stopped taking photos of the manuals for my reviews because LEGO started providing electronic copies in .pdf format some time ago.

However, it looks like LEGO does not have an electronic version of the manual online yet, but rest assured it will be very familiar to any recent manual you have seen (except for LEGO’s unusual decision to print all the text in Chinese font for the 2009 sets…)

The manuals are 54 and 46 pages.

Color separation was fine this time and the manuals sported all the usual features:

• Piece call outs for each step

• Parts inventory at the end of the manual

• Page numbers

The Pieces:

We’ve got a nice assortment of bricks, plates, tiles and a few surprises. Colors range in the grey, white, dark red and a dash of yellow. Also, there were the typical Technic pieces that are everywhere in LEGO sets the last three years.

I did find some interesting pieces that I had not seen before. Of course, I’ve been absent from the LEGO scene the past six – nine months so maybe some of these are not so new:

New 4x1 slope:

8019-5.jpg

8019-6.jpg

New trans cone? New yellow widget?

8019-17.jpg

8019-18.jpg

New 4x2 slope:

8019-19.jpg

How about the minifigs? We get Mace Windu (no cape), a Clone Pilot and a Clone Trooper.

8019-15.jpg

8019-16.jpg

Overall, some cool new pieces.

The Build:

Astute observers will notice a ‘pink’ towel background in some of my photos. The reason for that is my two daughters love the Clone Wars and wanted to ‘help’ me build this set. So, we put it together in the family room (instead of my usual building spot in my office) and had to put a towel down so we didn’t lose any pieces.

The build is brisk and uneventful and flows along nicely from the instructions. We did stop along the way to play with the cool features that are sprinkled in around the set.

Here are a couple of in-progress photos:

8019-7.jpg

8019-23.jpg

8019-25.jpg

Here is what is left over:

8019-26.jpg

Needless to say, we had a great time building the set.

The Design:

You really get a sense that the designers spend a lot of time integrating little features into these sets. Unless you build them, you really don’t get to appreciate the engineering and thought that goes into these sets. I wish there was a way to hear a ‘builders commentary’ on some of these sets kind of like a ‘director’s commentary’ on your favorite DVD. All those extra little insights would be fascinating to hear.

At any rate, this set is jam packed with lots of cool features. My photos and commentary will not do it justice. Bottom line is you should build it yourself to see the cool design.

Weapon storage: Here we have an elaborate hinge device that leans on two little 1x1 33 slopes.

8019-8.jpg

At first I thought this was some cool rear-gunner chair but it turns out that it holds the two weapons and lightsaber. Yes, it holds the lightsaber by the BLADE and not the HANDLE (per the instructions). I’m guessing it is this way because the ceiling is too low.

8019-9.jpg

Missile/Bomb launcher: This is very clever. Look at the two green, yellow and blue bomb/missiles in the photo below. Also notice the white hinge device just above it:

8019-10.jpg

Now, see how the hinge rests down and separates the two bomb/missiles.

8019-11.jpg

OK, moving the lever on the back of the ship causes the door on the bottom to open and launch the bomb/missile:

8019-12.jpg

8019-13.jpg

But, notice the hinge device is holding the second bomb/missile and it releases it into the launching bay when the lever is returned back to normal.

8019-14.jpg

The second bomb/missile can now be deployed in the same manner. Ingenious!

There are launchers on both sides of the ship.

Also, the top of the ship opens up. However, there is a very clever locking system in place. Note the two yellow pieces in the photo below:

8019-20.jpg

Now, see when you pull the yellow pieces, the black Technic piece unlocks the top from the main hull and allows you to lift the top of the ship back. There is a lock on each side:

8019-21.jpg

Here is the top opened up (note the blue seat is where Mace sits):

8019-22.jpg

The cockpit is pretty nifty and opens up nicely to hold the two clones.

8019-24.jpg

Here is the final build:

8019-27.jpg

8019-28.jpg

8019-29.jpg

Note the ‘magazine’ of flick-fire missiles protruding from the top of the ship. Another nice feature is flicking the back button (yellow and grey button in second photo above) flicks a missile out of the front. Once the missile is launched, the ‘magazine’ (white, studless Technic beam) drops down and loads the next missile in place. You can shoot eight missiles like this and then the ‘magazine’ drops out of the bottom of the ship. Very nice!

Again, you need to build this to understand how much ingenuity was put into the design.

Here is a final photo showing the shuttle and gunship so you can see the size difference:

8019-30.jpg

Overall Thoughts:

A nice, quick build of a medium sized ship. Some great features and design went into this set. I don’t really care for the yellow detail but that can easily be changed. The inside is cramped and offers little playability. Ship doesn’t really hold any additional minifigs. To be true to the big-screen version, this ship needs to be about twice as big and have the front hatch as seen in the movies/TV series. For the price, I would have liked to had more minifigs included, but it seems most of the sets in the past 12 months have been light on minifgis (presumably as a cost cutting measure by LEGO).

Final Rating: 84%

Build 9/10 (Very nice, fun and straightforward.)

Minifigs 7/10 (Light on the minifigs. No cape for Mace. We get a new clone helmet though.)

Design 10/10 (Awesome design features. Very well done.)

Parts 9/10 (Some new parts, would have liked to see a chrome saber hilt for Mace though.)

Price 7/10 (Seems a bit overpriced. Thought it would be bigger for $60 and have more minifigs.)

Edited by KimT
Indexed and poll added

Another great review from dunamis! :sweet: Now I'm undecided about this set. I was against it, but you've swayed me a bit. It has some very cool details though. :wub:

By the way, most of the new parts are semi new but since I have them they can't be that new! :tongue: The "New yellow widget" has been in use in technic engine blocks for years.

Very nice review!

Quick question: Can you stand a figure up in the main compartment if the lid is closed?

Nope, the figure must be sitting. There is really not much room in the main compartment at all.

Great review, greats set! :thumbup: But let me tell you, 2 of the 4 pieces you think are new, are maad old! :tongue: Trust me, I have about 400 of those wedges, and the trans-blue piece has been in Bionicle since 2007, and a prototype in 2005.

Edit: All 4, sorry. A black one of the 4X2 slope was on a Speed Racer set, the Snake one, and also as the guys above said the techinc piece is old too. Maybe you should catch up on your pieces!

Edited by Darth Legolas

No stickers? You're kidding, right? :oh: 'cause that means I've died and gone to heaven. :oh:

I think I'll mod the set and take out the flick-fire launcher, and hopefully add some room to the interior. :sceptic:

Very nice review, Dunamis. You've convinced me that this set isn't so bad after all, and I just might get it. It is a little stubby, and the colors aren't great, but the design and play features on this are pretty cool. Plus, the figures are neat (although I would have liked at least one more).

Great review, thanks.

So far, this is the most intriguing 2009 set.

WOW! Great review! :thumbup: This is a pretty sweet set, better than I expected. Overpriced :sceptic: but very nice! I think it come with a lack of clones because of the same reason for the lack of clones in the atte and RGS. Because TLG wants you to buy the BP's and thats how you fill up your ships :wink:

Anyway thanks for the review! :classic:

Well I need to admit you change my mind from this set, great review Dunamis :thumbup: . After all this set looks very cool :tongue: , the bomb mechanism is what I most like about it. Sure I don´t like the colors at all (Why not just done it all grey insted of that wierd combination in the top of the shuttle :sadnew: ) but they are acceptable and I overall like the set. Now I definitely will get this one :cry_happy: .

Thanks for the review! I thought it was an overpriced thing but you managed to covince me that this set is definetly worth its value :classic:

Dunamis, thanks for this fine review. This is one of the better looking ships which is due for released next year. I was having doubts whether this set is indeed worth the money. I will love to get my hands onto this set and build it. The downfall will defintely be the lack of cape for Mace Windu and the ability for the shuttle to have the capacity or size to hold some troopers similar to Imperial Landing Craft. Other than that, this is one fine set. :thumbup:

Great review, equally great set.

There could have been a few more clones but, well there is battlepacks for that.

I must say that with TWO bomb-, missile-related functions this an assault shuttle and the fact that the cockpit really fits two is great.

As is said in ReZourceman's review, it is not really TLG`s fault that it is so multicoloured, it DOES look like that.

Thanks for the review Dunamis.

As usual you're in depth :thumbup:

I've added a poll and added the review to the index as "Review2" on 8019 RAS

I've built this set and rate it "Above Average".

Among all the sets I've built in 2008, and that is a lot, this set stands out as the most thought through design. Looking at the box I thought: "this looks boring, but hey, it's a SW set".

As stated in this review, the functions are nice. When I built it I wondered, now this is a strange way to assemble bricks, only to end up with some function that I haven't really seen before. The way the bombs are dropped one by one is really clever, but the firing misiles a the top of the ship, was the biggest surprise. I'm amazed that it shoot so well, and don't think I've seen this particular shooting function in any Lego set before.

The set is quite sturdy. The big top of the aircraft open up nicely and is well hinged, and there is a locking mechanism to keep it in place. Another mechanism I've not seen before.

The wings are as sturdy as they get, nice smooth rotation up and down.

The front cockpit is hinged and can be put in two positions. But it can fall off, as can some of the side plates on it (and guns) if handled hard. The single antenna can fall of too, but that's it, a very sturdy set.

Front

I like the design of the set, but I am not a big fan of all the gray on the wings.

Thank you for the nice review. :classic:

Could you please make a bigger pic of the new Mace?

Edit: forget the last question. I saw already pics in the review of Rezourceman.

Edited by Wout

Thanks for the review

but I don't quite understand how the wings fold up and down, though. Is there a mechanism like in the ILC or is it like the old imperial shuttle?

I don't think I'll get it, though... That is one really ugly piece of color scheme... Although I admit it's not their fault when you see the original material... :sick: And the engineering looks rather good...

but the firing misiles a the top of the ship, was the biggest surprise. I'm amazed that it shoot so well, and don't think I've seen this particular shooting function in any Lego set before.

They used the same system in one of the viking set, the giant crossbow thingy vs the red dragon. Pretty neat set, actually...

Thanks for the review

but I don't quite understand how the wings fold up and down, though. Is there a mechanism like in the ILC or is it like the old imperial shuttle?

I don't think I'll get it, though... That is one really ugly piece of color scheme... Although I admit it's not their fault when you see the original material... :sick: And the engineering looks rather good...

They used the same system in one of the viking set, the giant crossbow thingy vs the red dragon. Pretty neat set, actually...

I think they modified it though.

Thanks for the review

There is no mechanism. They just fold manually.

Thanks for the review

The viking sets I got features firing misiles, but they are not technic bushings fitted into a technic hole, that are popped out when triggered.

Front

Thanks for the outstanding review. this set is totally the first one on my to buy list!

Fantastic review Dunamis, good stuff!

I was originally non-plussed about this set but the more I see it the more it grows on me... throw in a couple of nice reviews and it's looking like I might have to pick it up! It will almost certainly come second to the AAT though [or will it?!].

Overall the ship looks great. The features you revealed are ingenious and I'd love to see them working in the flesh. The minifig selection is good if not lacking in quantity... but isn't that always the case? :classic: I'd also feel inclined to alter the yellow elements - maybe to white - but would have to see it completed as is first.