Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest #84: Bad Blood

10025474205_51093e5900_o.jpg

A small group of heroes leave the Hall at first light and make their way outside the walls of the city. They are....

The Party

rone2.jpg Dyric Rone *Party Leader*

Level 20 1/3 Assassin *Immune to Wood, Water, Earth, Ice, Fire, Wind, Lightning, Light, Darkness*

Power: 32:

Defense: 3

Health: 32/32

Gold: 115

Equipment: Requiem (WP: 20; wood, light and darkness-elemental, ranged), Lucky Die, Tricorne (SP:3, Water, Wood, Earth, Ice, Fire, Wind, Lightning, Light, Darkness - elemental) Sticky Gloves (Increases amount of gold stolen by 50%; handwear)

Inventory: Double Chain Whip (WP:10), Throwing Knife (WP:4, ranged, retrievable), Longsword (WP: 3), Aquamarine (Water), Diamond, 4 Potions, 4 Grand Potions, Elixir, 2 Remedies, Mead, 2 Venoms, Smoke Bomb, Skeleton Decoy, 3 Mythril Shards (3/4 of a Mythril), Silver Ore (Worth 60 gold), Bone, Grand Potion, Winged Sandals, Pheonix Essence, Smelling Salt Bedroll, Shovel

ava-thothwick2.jpgThothwick

Level 24.33 Black Knight *Damage Undead* *Immune to Stunned*

Power: 38 (34 Ranged)

Defense: 10

Health: 39/39

Gold: 449

Equipment: Banana Sabre (WP:12, Heals Metasimians when used on them), Skull Shield (SP:6; immunity to darkness-elemental damage; suitable to Black Knights only), Black Knight's Armour (SP:4, protects from stunned-effect), Cultist's Hat (regular attacks do Damage to Undead)

Inventory: Shuriken (WP 8), Sabre (WP 10), 1 Bedroll, 1 Telescope, 1 Potion, 9 Cosmic Essences, 1 Venom, 5 Deadly venoms, Grand Zoot Cookie, Sapphire, Dragon Scale

8878153168_75444a509d_t.jpg Karie Alderflask

Level 17.5 Witch

Power: 24

Defense: 2

Health: 31/31

Ether: 23/23

Gold: 302

Equipment: Oculoid Palm (WP: 11, Whip, successful hits lowers the target's level. Coils around the user's arm and mimics a tattoo outside of battle.) by 1. Ethereal Cloak (SP +2, Max. Ether +4),Catsuit (Wearer has 1/3 chance to completely avoid rolls of COUNTER and DAMAGE and Free Hits; suitable to women only; bodywear)

Inventory: Grand Tonic, Mead (1), Remedy (1), Venom (7), Smoke bomb (1), Pixie Dust (1),Telescope (1), Bedroll (1), Emergency Essence (1)

Quest Items: Entry 11, Map of Brendenton (1), Spider Coin (worth 1 gp), Forest Journal

Aretefacts/Weapons: Heirloom Dagger (WP: 3), Scroll of Newtity (costs 10 ether)(usable by ex-Amphibians only), Lover's Locket (Accessory, Protects from enamoured effect), Trickster's Mask of the Elf (Accessory, changes user's appearance into an Elf) Sexy (WP: 7, Rapier, Disregards SP, usable by Knights and Rogues), Paper Doll (Accesory, prevents Hexing)

Gemstones: Topaz

The city walls of Eubric look as haphazardly thrown together as everything else in the bustling port. They had the appearance that the contractor had totally forgotten that he had agreed to build them, and then the day before the project had been due some friend had taken mercy on him and reminded him that he had agreed to construct them. Stones are piled high with mortar. Some places have intricate arches and stone work, most do not. The years have not been kind to the walls - they are now supplemented with huge wooden beams.

The heroes wander around a little before they find their employer - Lord Henry Hinckwell, brother to the esteemed head of the Hinckwell house. He sits proudly on his horse, staring down at them with slight annoyance and slight intrigue.

cfd77810-5127-4af9-b806-77cbd6f79956_zps620d56dd.jpg

26005fac-136f-4269-b61c-23ce6b0a095e_zps37fe306f.jpg

"Hello heroes, I hope that you are well rested, you have a long day of travel before you. Here is the situation. I have recently arranged with the Guild of Invision to send a shipment of explosives to the High Kingdoms for mining purposes. Sadly, it looks like the explosives will not be making it there on time. Sir Grady the Bold was en route to Bric'Bay Fort when he was belayed by a group of mercenaries. Sir Grady, tell them."

51d4febb-cbcc-4ebf-84d4-88fa77976c02_zps66ae5a5c.jpg

"My troops and I were carrying the crates north when on the Eubric Highway a group of disreputable fellows plunged out of the forest. They slaughtered my troops and I barely escaped with my life. I was able to disarm and kill one of the bandits, and when I picked up his sword, I found that it was Shadeaux made."

"The Shadeaux have had an eye on this shipment for a long time, and I have very good reason to believe that they have taken it and will be attempting to sell it to someone else. Our families have always been at odds, but we never fight openly - it would make sense if they or one of their cronies, probably a Shawe, hired bandits to make it appear like a random attack. I responded in turn by hiring a group of bandits led by Strong-Chested Bors, but they have not returned and I fear the worst. I am forced to turn to your organization. Make no mistakes, I have no love for you. My own son, Sir Roderick Hinckwell, mysteriously disappeared in service to you, and your representatives at Lord Guffington's party were troublesome to say the least. Besides that, I have heard that you are in many ways responsible for the troubles we suffered in Brendenton. My nephew Lorcan has assured me that he has worked well with a least a few of your numbers in the past, however, and I'm running out of options. You are to find Shawe, find the shipment, and return it to me. Are there any questions?"

Arriving slightly before the Assassin and Witch, Thothwick greeted his two Hinckwell hosts, nodding curtly to each of them.

"Greetings, Lord Hinckwell, I have had the pleasure of acquainting myself with your good brother and his family. My condolences for your son, but I commend your strength in being able to set aside you grief. But, if I may - as I'm sure a man such as yourself would prefer - get down to business? May I inquire as to the name of the bandits hired by the Shadeaux? It is possible that they acquired this weapon through devious means. Bandits are not renowned for being upstanding members of the Eubric community. Indeed, even the ones hired by your good self appear to have scarpered."

OOC: Did some shopping, and changed my stats.

Karie arrives and checks herself over, as ready as she'd ever be, Hershey precariously perched over her shoulder, her hind legs slouched over Karie's back. Crooked dealings among shipping companies, what could possibly go wrong?

"Good morning, sir. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. Name's Karie, Karie Alderflask."

"Mreoow! <The name's Hershey!>"

At the sound of the town of Brendenton being brought, Karie thought it wise not to bring up anything involving, despite knowing the devilish perpetrator and knave who stole the cloth was enjoying a stay in Davy Jones's locker. All you can eat sea food, so I hear.

"Yeah, I got a question, two actually. One, this Bors fellow, what's his past accomplishments? Is he a nobody, highwayman, mass serial killer, a bit of a profile would be nice. Secondly, I'm curious as to why the Shadeaux would want with this shipment? I can assume it was valuable, but what else makes it special?"

She felt as if the metasimian was eyeballing her for some reason. What was his problem?

Edited by Kintobor

OOC: For some reason I never updated my stats after 65. Sorry about that, it's done now.

What are our leads, besides the make?

I stop to shake hands with the female of our team. I'm not sure if we've met. The name's Dyric Rone, Assassin of the Light.

Edited by The Legonater

Thothwicks eyeballs flickered to Karie rapidly, in what he sorely mistook as subtle glances.

"My word, she even has a cat. Such a Cliché, it's like a story Old Nan would've told... oh, at last, a reasonable human being!"

Thothwick waited for the Assassin to greet the Witch, before greeting him cautiously, hoping not reignite the animosity that developed on their previous Quest together. "Good morning, Mr. Rone. I hope the day finds you well."

OoC: Zepher, I too visited the market place, and have updated my statistics page accordingly.

Just noticed, with the other two players being in a different timezone, I shall be rather penalised when it comes to character interactions! :blush:

I stop to shake hands with the female of our team. I'm not sure if we've met. The name's Dyric Rone, Assassin of the Light.

Assassin of the Light? Best show this guy up one.

"I don't believe we have. Karie Alderflask, World's Greatest Pickpocket, among other things."

Karie returns the gesture and shakes hands with the assassin.

Thothwicks eyeballs flickered to Karie rapidly, in what he sorely mistook as subtle glances.

"My word, she even has a cat. Such a Cliché, it's like a story Old Nan would've told... oh, at last, a reasonable human being!"

Thothwick waited for the Assassin to greet the Witch, before greeting him cautiously, hoping not reignite the animosity that developed on their previous Quest together. "Good morning, Mr. Rone. I hope the day finds you well."

Karie could tell the ape man was eyeing her. Her back tingled with unease. She didn't like this guy. At least not as of yet.

"Good morning, sir. I don't believe we've met either. I'm Karie, and this is-"

"Mreow! <Hershey, but everyone calls me adorable!>"

"Hershey, my cat. Well, actually, she's my sister's cat, but it seems I'm now looking after the adorable little thing."

"Purr...<See what I mean.>"

"Good morning, Mr. Rone. I hope the day finds you well."

Indeed it has, and the same to you, Thothwick. Always nice to see a familiar face, especially now that the world isn't at stake.

Assassin of the Light? Best show this guy up one.

"I don't believe we have. Karie Alderflask, World's Greatest Pickpocket, among other things."

Karie returns the gesture and shakes hands with the assassin.

I grin slightly. I'll believe that when I see it. A bit of a Rogue's Gallery here, isn't it? Reminds me of when Dak, Guts and I strolled through Triad Park.

Karie could tell the ape man was eyeing her. Her back tingled with unease. She didn't like this guy. At least not as of yet.

"Good morning, sir. I don't believe we've met either. I'm Karie, and this is-"

"Mreow! <Hershey, but everyone calls me adorable!>"

"Hershey, my cat. Well, actually, she's my sister's cat, but it seems I'm now looking after the adorable little thing."

"Purr...<See what I mean.>"

"Er..."

"Sod off, you parasite! May you be reincarnated a dung be- No! No... be polite, be courteous, perhaps even friendly... wean her off her dark arts. This could be a bold new direction for S.O.W! Rehabilitation!"

Bowing slightly, Thothwick greeted Karie. "No, I don't believe we've met. I am Thothwick... How kind of you to look after your sisters pet."

"There. That wasn't painful."

Indeed it has, and the same to you, Thothwick. Always nice to see a familiar face, especially now that the world isn't at stake.

"Ha, well, it's early days yet!" Thothwick leaned forward, and lowered his voice so only his Quest mates could hear him. "One can never be too sure just how far these feuding families could go!"

"Ha, well, it's early days yet!" Thothwick leaned forward, and lowered his voice so only his Quest mates could hear him. "One can never be too sure just how far these feuding families could go!"

Too true. I heard about what happened at the Foundation Day party. We need to contain this as quickly as possible, before either family gets ideas of grandeur.

"Er..."

Bowing slightly, Thothwick greeted Karie. "No, I don't believe we've met. I am Thothwick... How kind of you to look after your sisters pet."

"Well, thank you, Thothwick."

Hershey continues to eyeball Thothwick, looking at him with her big, cuddly eyes.

OoC: I don't think you can be 21.5, Legonator... so, what level are you?

The Party

rone2.jpg Dyric Rone *Party Leader*

Level 21 1?/3 Assassin *Immune to Wood, Water, Earth, Ice, Fire, Wind, Lightning, Light, Darkness* *Lucky* *Steals 50% more gold*

Power: 33

Defense: 3

Health: 33/33

Gold: 792

Equipment: Requiem (WP: 20; wood, light and darkness-elemental, ranged), Lucky Die, Tricorne (SP:3, Water, Wood, Earth, Ice, Fire, Wind, Lightning, Light, Darkness - elemental) Sticky Gloves (Increases amount of gold stolen by 50%; handwear)

Inventory: Double Chain Whip (WP:10), Throwing Knife (WP:4, ranged, retrievable), Longsword (WP: 3), Aquamarine (Water), Diamond, 4 Potions, 5 Grand Potions, Elixir, 2 Remedies, Mead, 2 Venoms, Smoke Bomb, Skeleton Decoy, 3 Mythril Shards (3/4 of a Mythril), Silver Ore (Worth 60 gold), Bone, Winged Sandals, Pheonix Essence, Smelling Salt Bedroll, Shovel, Banana (Restores full health to target), Diamond Lamp of Summoning, Tonic

ava-thothwick2.jpgThothwick

Level 24.33 Black Knight *Damage Undead* *Immune to Stunned*

Power: 38 (34 Ranged)

Defense: 10

Health: 39/39

Gold: 114

Equipment: Banana Sabre (WP:13, Heals Metasimians when used on them), Skull Shield (SP:6; immunity to darkness-elemental damage; suitable to Black Knights only), Black Knight's Armour (SP:4, protects from stunned-effect), Cultist's Hat (regular attacks do Damage to Undead)

Inventory: Shuriken (WP 8), Sabre (WP 10), 1 Bedroll, 1 Telescope, 1 Potion, 9 Cosmic Essences, 1 Venom, 5 Deadly venoms, Grand Zoot Cookie, Sapphire, Dragon Scale, 4 Meads, 5 Grand Potions, Ambrosia

8878153168_75444a509d_t.jpg Karie Alderflask

Level 17.5 Witch

Power: 24

Defense: 2

Health: 31/31

Ether: 23/23

Gold: 102

Equipment: Oculoid Palm (WP: 11, Whip, successful hits lowers the target's level. Coils around the user's arm and mimics a tattoo outside of battle.) by 1. Ethereal Cloak (SP +2, Max. Ether +4),Catsuit (Wearer has 1/3 chance to completely avoid rolls of COUNTER and DAMAGE and Free Hits; suitable to women only; bodywear)

Inventory: Grand Tonic, Mead (1), Remedies (3), Venom (7), Smoke bomb (1), Pixie Dust (1),Telescope (1), Bedroll (1), Emergency Essence (1), Grand Tonic (3), Nostrum (1), Smelling Salt (1)

Quest Items: Entry 11, Map of Brendenton (1), Spider Coin (worth 1 gp), Forest Journal

Aretefacts/Weapons: Heirloom Dagger (WP: 3), Scroll of Newtity (costs 10 ether)(usable by ex-Amphibians only), Lover's Locket (Accessory, Protects from enamoured effect), Trickster's Mask of the Elf (Accessory, changes user's appearance into an Elf) Sexy (WP: 8, Rapier, Disregards SP, usable by Knights and Rogues), Paper Doll (Accesory, prevents Hexing)

Gemstones: Topaz

"Greetings, Lord Hinckwell, I have had the pleasure of acquainting myself with your good brother and his family. My condolences for your son, but I commend your strength in being able to set aside you grief. But, if I may - as I'm sure a man such as yourself would prefer - get down to business? May I inquire as to the name of the bandits hired by the Shadeaux? It is possible that they acquired this weapon through devious means. Bandits are not renowned for being upstanding members of the Eubric community. Indeed, even the ones hired by your good self appear to have scarpered."

"It was many years ago that he went missing, and he and I were never particularly close. He knew he'd never rule this family, and so he left it. It was a foolish and selfish thing to do. I support my brother and his heirs, and he supports me. I loved Roderick, but I do not miss him terribly." The older man shook his head, whether in disappointment or sadness it is hard to tell.

"The bandits wouldn't have much of a reason to rob us if they weren't working for the Shadeaux. It is rare for bandits to attack us or the Shadeaux, truth be told. Generally it isn't such a good idea." Sir Grody grins "There are wealthier and more poorly defended caravans than ours'. The chances of one group of bandits surviving an attack on the Shadeaux and then turning around and attacking us is unlikely. They wouldn't want to risk the wrath of both families, and their numbers wouldn't hold up. I'm not saying its impossible, just highly unlikely."

"Yeah, I got a question, two actually. One, this Bors fellow, what's his past accomplishments? Is he a nobody, highwayman, mass serial killer, a bit of a profile would be nice. Secondly, I'm curious as to why the Shadeaux would want with this shipment? I can assume it was valuable, but what else makes it special?"

"Bors is a sellsword, much like you. He works with a crew of four people total. You Heroicans always seem to think that you're the only sellswords around." The Hinckwell man snorts. "There are many, and some at better prices than you. The Red Assassins, Blue Assassins, there's talk of an explosive expert who has been wandering the island. Wereravens will sell their swords happily, and most Pongcanis work for hire if you can offer them the right price."

"The Shadeaux have long wanted to work with the Guild of Invision. I guess they must have an interested buyer. I know that Samuel Shawe has been trying to secure a contract with Madame Ladybug for a long time, but she has been refusing. They're most likely jealous of my negotiation skills and looking to hurt the family."

What are our leads, besides the make?

"We were traveling the Eubric Highway. It will probably be best to set out that way and see what you see."

Do the heroes have any more questions?

Karie shrugs, showing off her cocky grin.

"Well, you get what you pay for, Lord Henry. I can assure you we will return your stolen explosives."

She silently hoped that, one, that wouldn't come back to bite her, and two, the quest wouldn't end in a bang.

"I suppose the next logical question would be do you have any leads? As well, how long ago was this shipment stolen?"

Weird. It should be 1/3. No idea what happened there.

If they want to work with Guild, stealing supplies is far from the first place to start. I feel there's something deeper going on here.

Sir Grady, I take it you're our back up? What sort of experience do you have?

"I suppose the next logical question would be do you have any leads? As well, how long ago was this shipment stolen?"

"As Grady said, the bandits attacked them on the Eubric Highway, so that will likely be the best place to start. I hope I'm paying you enough to pay attention." The Lord sniffs. "The shipment was stolen three days ago. We sent Bors after it two days ago. He should have returned yesterday."

Sir Grady, I take it you're our back up? What sort of experience do you have?

Sir Grady barks out a laugh, but it is Henry Hinckwell who answers the question.

"Sadly Grady cannot go with you, sadly. The Shadeaux and us never confront each other directly, though we'd very much like to. It is a silly farce that we both carry on. Heavens knows why, but Noctus and my brother seem to think it necessary, and I suppose it is if we wish to avoid a war. That is why I hire people like you and Bors."

"Sadly Grady cannot go with you, sadly. The Shadeaux and us never confront each other directly, though we'd very much like to. It is a silly farce that we both carry on. Heavens knows why, but Noctus and my brother seem to think it necessary, and I suppose it is if we wish to avoid a war. That is why I hire people like you and Bors."

So we're hunting down a political criminal totting explosives with no back-up. Great to see our best interests in mind.

That aside, I think we're done here, unless Thothwick has something to add.

"As Grady said, the bandits attacked them on the Eubric Highway, so that will likely be the best place to start. I hope I'm paying you enough to pay attention." The Lord sniffs. "The shipment was stolen three days ago. We sent Bors after it two days ago. He should have returned yesterday."

"Hmmm. When did Grady return? I find it a little sus that one man escapes from a group of bandits and claims that a rival house is responsible for the attack. No offence to you, milords, it's just I want to ensure all possibilities are looked at."

Edited by Kintobor

So we're hunting down a political criminal totting explosives with no back-up. Great to see our best interests in mind.

Henry Hinckwell scoffs.

"I did not know that we were paying Heroica so we could look after your best interests. I thought we were paying you to look after our best interests."

"Hmmm. When did Grady return? I find it a little sus that one man escapes from a group of bandits and claims that a rival house is responsible for the attack. No offence to you, milords, it's just I want to ensure all possibilities are looked at."

"Are you calling me a liar, girl? I lost some good men in that attack. I returned immediately after it was stolen, and we hired Bors on the same night."

"There are a great number of other people who could fill this task if you don't feel it is to your taste... m'lady," the man says the last word mockingly. "What were the other names, Grady?"

Grady pulls out a piece of paper and begins to rattle off.

"Althior, a Necromancer, bit more experienced than the girl here. Johon, a Raider, quite fit for the job if I do say so myself. The list goes on. Should I read more, girl?"

I'm just saying it'd be a shame to lose your third group in a row... sir. Karie will be staying with us - I'm sure she meant no respect. You have to admit though, you aren't giving us a whole lot to go on.

"Are you calling me a liar, girl? I lost some good men in that attack. I returned immediately after it was stolen, and we hired Bors on the same night."

"There are a great number of other people who could fill this task if you don't feel it is to your taste... m'lady," the man says the last word mockingly. "What were the other names, Grady?"

Grady pulls out a piece of paper and begins to rattle off.

"Althior, a Necromancer, bit more experienced than the girl here. Johon, a Raider, quite fit for the job if I do say so myself. The list goes on. Should I read more, girl?"

Karie crosses her arms.

"No, Grady, I'm calling you incredibly suspicious. If three men walk into a room, and only one walks out alive, who would you consider the suspect at first? The murders could have happened any number of ways, sir, just like the incident at hand, but the only way to figure it out is to find out the basic facts."

Karie giggles as names are being read of the list.

"No, please, continue! Humour me, I'm curious as to the others you were considering, since I beat out their charisma by tenfold, and in a position like this, where merchandise is on the line, trust me, you want that sneaky bitch who's got a grin on her face and a plan to go with every situation."

Tossing her dagger up and down, she turns her attention to Henry.

"I came here to get a job done, sir. Do you want it done by professionals, or not?"

"I want it done by professionals. If that's what you are... well, that has yet to be seen. Dyric Rone," he says turning towards the Assassin, "I have appointed you party leader due to your excellent standing with my family. I trust that you will control those below you." The Hinckwell softens a little. "I know we haven't given you a lot to go on, but we just don't have much information. Bors may be rogue, may be dead, or may have taken the money and fled. I believe the Shadeaux are responsible for this attack, but I just don't know for sure. All I'm asking is that you attempt to get my shipment back," the Hinckwell has gotten caught back up in himself and becomes huffy all over again, "surely that is not too much to ask?"

"Eh, not really. I've been asked to do worse."

Karie rubs her eyes sleepily. It was too early for this stuff. The antics last night had her all around the city. Darn shame it came with nothing getting done.

"My only question left is where would you recommend we start? It would be good to know the location of the attack."

Edited by Kintobor

"As we've explained the robbery took place on the Eubric Highway. I'd have to assume that the Shadeaux are moving the shipment to a port. I doubt they'd dare use Eubric, so I must assume that they're still headed north towards Loush. If you set out on the Eubric Highway, that will hopefully lead to something."

"I know we haven't given you a lot to go on, but we just don't have much information. Bors may be rogue, may be dead, or may have taken the money and fled. I believe the Shadeaux are responsible for this attack, but I just don't know for sure. All I'm asking is that you attempt to get my shipment back," the Hinckwell has gotten caught back up in himself and becomes huffy all over again, "surely that is not too much to ask?"

Of course. We'll do the best we can.

"I see. I'm ready to head out when you guys are, but take your time."

"Mreow-eow! <Oh, please! You hate the outdoors!>"

Edited by Kintobor

Too true. I heard about what happened at the Foundation Day party. We need to contain this as quickly as possible, before either family gets ideas of grandeur.

Thothwick wincked, and tapped his nose.

"Hmpf.. Animosity towards the Witch? Interesting... But I shan't push them, for now..."

"Uh, yes, I do believe I am ready to procede, providing none of you have no other lines of inquiry?"