• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Oustanding

indexed.gif

p1010077.jpg

Hello guys!

I'm Steve Bonnet and I hope I'm in the right Subforum - dunno what "Starwars" is but those classic pirates guys threw me out...

It started some weeks ago. Piracy in the warm Carribean Seas wasn't funny since those this republic soldiers were armed with some seldom, but deadly weapons:

p1010079.jpg

So I sent a Bird to the Pirate's Guild and asked for Reinforcements. Two weeks later, I got a big shiny box from Mr. Lego, Denmark:

pic-0081.jpg

pic-0080.jpg

Inside there was a little book, stickers and some bags with parts

pic-0082.jpg

At first I assembled my new friends, some skinny Pirates from an Island far, far away called Florrum. I couldn't understand one word they're saying. But we had some beers and soon we really understood each other. The third guy was some teacher-like unfriendly very "I know it all" type. We didn't like him from the beginning and sent him to the sea..

p1010081.jpg

p1010082.jpg

Next, we assembled our new ship:

p1010083.jpg

p1010084.jpg

There is a really neat mechanism to lift the ole captain on the deck. Its a good thing because also Pirates get older..

p1010087.jpg

My new friends are also using canon balls, but they don't need those heavy canons any more. They just snip it...

p1010088.jpg

And - finally I got my own BFG. Normally in a battle situation I just yell orders, kill my own personell or wait to be killed by the good looking hero from the other ship. Not any more..

p1010089.jpg

The final assembly was really simple:

p1010091.jpg

Two more Snippin' canon balls are at the stern:

p1010092.jpg

No Sails, no Rudder, no Slaves - we just gut to boxes which are singing like a whale and bringing us whereever we want:

p1010093.jpg

And here it is, the final vessel:

p1010094.jpg

I suggested to call it "The Flying Pearl", but my new friends just called it: "Pilf Mukmuk". Hmm. Strange Name. It's fine ship, but unfortunately the captains cabin isn't high enough for me and my personal protective gear...

p1010097.jpg

It's a good idea to have some harpoons on the outside of your hip, so you can shoot your dinner whenever you want.

p1010096.jpg

AND now - finally we will find those republic bastards and send them to the ugliest place on earth - The Hell of Megabloks.

p1010100.jpg

sic! - Live is not fair...

Design: 10/10 Nice. Really nice. Finally something different. Only thing they could to better is to offer alternative to the snip rockets.

The "jumpseat" is a nice idea...

Build: 6/10 Not very challenging, but not to much repitition.

Playability: 9/10 The tank has wheels and so - while I'm typing this there is an intensive battle between both tanks...

Minifigures: 9/10 If they would hae included a new JarJar or a Clone Trooper - it would be perfect. And I might b wrong, but weren't the heads of the pirats very skinny - and not little balloons?

Price: 8/10 I bought it for 49,95.-€, but I guess the final price will be 39,95.-€ That's not cheap, but ok.

Overall: 42/50 Good set, not too expensive and "something different" who are fed up with clankers, jedi and troopers. Maybe we will see the flying saucer also ...

Edited by KimT
indexed and poll added

Nice review :thumbup: , the first two pictures I like the most :tongue:

The tank hasn't much space inside for the pirates, but it is a nice tank with (again) "cool" flick-fire missles. :hmpf:

Three minifigures with two exculisve ones are nice but why Obi-Wan and not a new Jar-Jar and a clone.

May I ask how many stickers this tank needs?

the Inventor

Thanks Jansued for reviewing this set for us.

I've added a poll, indexed and frontpaged it :thumbup:

Great review

Rubbish set

I mean c'mon - it has nothing going for it, the new minifigs dont even look like they belong in the theme!

Exactly. They can be used for other things. I can already think of a hundred different uses for those awesome figs.

This is the first Star Wars set to interest me in some time. Useful parts, good exclusive figs, and an interesting design. I gave it "Above average".

Nice review, but where is the extra pieces?

I want to know if theres an extra empulett or what ever they call em

Great review

Rubbish set

I mean c'mon - it has nothing going for it, the new minifigs dont even look like they belong in the theme!

Thats right, those minifigs came out of nowhere.

Ooh, weequay guys. :thumbup::classic:

They can also be used as jabba's henchmen

Thank for the nice review

Pity the vehicle is not that attractive for me.

and a nice way for the not that rich children to get Clone wars Obi-wan.

Hondo Ohnaka? Sounds like a Japanese guy. I hope there's not really someone who has that name and sees this. :tongue:

thanks for the review, i think the set looks quite cool.

I have to admit that i rechecked that i was on the star wars boards when i saw the first picture. :blush:

Thanks for this review of this early release :thumbup:. Personally I quite like the set but the choice of minifigs is quite poor IMO. I mean why Obi-Wan when we could have had a possibly new had Jar Jar. I quite like the engines and hatch with seat that can move up and down. Nice review anyway.

Great review! I like the Pirate story.

I don't really like Lego Starwars, but this set comes with nice new minifigures. :classic:

Great review i too love the first two pics best.

Now i'm not a huge buyer of Star Wars sets but this looks pretty sucky.

Don't even like the minifigs.

I'll stick to getting the Endor set methinks.

Edited by alex12

This is a kickass tank with a pair of kickass minifigs.

Only problem is that I have trouble seeing this as part of the Star Wars Universe :laugh:

A great set, that would have been rated awesome if it werent part of the SW Theme.

Still gets an 'average' from me and yes I will be buying this to keep my collection complete.

A great set, that would have been rated awesome if it werent part of the SW Theme.

you actually have a really good point, get rid of Obi wan and you'll have a cool SPIII set

Very funny review, jansued! Great job!

However, you did not manage to sell this set to me. It might be nicely designed, look accurate, and have great figs (I'm loving the detailed back printing on the pirates!), but the whole thing just doesn't have much appeal to me. Maybe it's because it would look completely out of place next to my Republic and Separatist vehicles, and because it's not exactly the most relevant Star Wars vehicle. :sceptic: TLG did a good job on this, though, so I vote it above average. Now, if this would have come with a new Jar Jar, Senate Security clones, a Skalder, and maybe even a Kowakian monkey lizard, I would have voted it outstanding, but getting so many new figs in such a small set is too much to ask, I guess. :sadnew: I will only consider getting this set if I see it for about half the price.

Drink up me hearties, yo ho! :pir_yoda:

(I always wanted to use that emoticon! :pir-grin: )

I told you that it would have a lift up chair, but no. JD is always wrong. :tongue: I like the minifigures in this set, but it could have used a couple more generic soldiers. Apart from that, a great must buy set! :thumbup:

Thanks for this review.

Greetings,

JD

The firs thing in my mind when I read this review:

New Lego series, SPACE PIRATES! Pirateeees iiin spaaaaaccceee! (Yay! Muppet Show!)

Very entertaining rewiev and nice set, with great minifigures (But I dont like printed glasses... )

The overall design is alright, and it it a nice alternative to usual things (as you said), but I really don't think much of it. The mechanism to lift the captain is ok, but it looks to me from your picture that it just opens up to reveal a bunch of technic pieces that don't fit in with the rest of the set. I think it could be bulkier, right now it looks a bit bare.

Is it just me, or does that Obi-Wan look angrier than before?

While it does include two new figures, I am not overly impressed. The ship appears to be just ok, and they once again included a jedi that we have at least ten of.

Thanks for the nice informative review. I like your sense of humour.

I agree with some of the others that the minfigures could have been better thought out. From the episode where the tank first appeared, I think Jar Jar plus a clone (maybe even Cmdr Fox?) would have been better than Obi Wan. Obi Wan wasn't even anywhere near a pirate tank until the end.

you actually have a really good point, get rid of Obi wan and you'll have a cool SPIII set

That's so true, except it would kick most of the SP3 alien craft out of the water! :laugh:

I think you really have to have watched the Clone Wars series to appreciate this set, or even understand it.

It looks very nice to me, the figs are great, some useful parts, and I'll definitely be picking it up.

Thanks for the review, jansued!

EDIT: For those wondering about Jar-Jar, I am sure we will see him and a Padme next year. How could they not? The two are integral to the CW series, and after rewatching the Rhodian episode, even the Separatist Shuttle set seems a little odd without these two.