What about 2016 action themes?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Chima ending in 2015?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • I actually doubt they will end it though news are confirming.
  2. 2. Do you think Legends of Chima will be replaced by a fresh new action theme in 2016?

• Yes, a brand new one.
    • No, they will simply have one less theme.
    • I still think they will confirm LoC for 2016 nevertheless.
  3. 3. Chima was said to replace Ninjago, but Ninjago lasted more than it. Does this mean that LoC is somehow a flop?

• Yes it is.
    • No, it is not, I wonder why they end it.
    • Half way. It was not a top seller, neither a flop. It lasted the time it had to last.
    • I already said I think LoC will continue in 2016 too.

Hello, I was very interested in knowing what people thought about TLC plans for 2016 so I prepared this very little poll.

I would be happy to know your opinion.

Thank you everybody.

1. This poll needs a "I don't care about Chima at all" option.

2. If Scooby Doo does well (and probably will) we could get more sets. There are tons of villains and episodes that could be LEGO sets. Same with Jurassic World. They have the original trilogy + 2 more Jurassic World movies (since it's said to be a trilogy as well) to produce sets. Besides, there are rumors of Castle and Space returning soon. I don't think Chima needs a replacement right now.

3. It was good, but Ninjago was better. Actually, Chima lasted more than I thought it would

Edited by Robert8

Honestly, when Chima was first announced and came out, I was OBSESSED. Then I kinda stopped buying sets just because.. well, I didn't. The Fire and Ice wave shouldn't have lasted 3 waves, I think they could have done something new for 2015 as a 'grand finale.' :sadnew:

Chima never caught my eye because it paled in comparison to Ninjago. I am happy it is ending- LEGO can finally increase the budget for the Ninjago sets without having to worry about Chima.

I actually think that Castle might replace Chima as next year's Action Theme. However, they could always give it a break- we've got a Ninjago movie coming next year, so LEGO might just want to focus on promoting that.

I'm on the fence on about it's ending. I have the first wave and really enjoyed the sets, especially the figs. Past that, I haven't bought anything Chima minus the sabertooth polybag. Just because money is being on comics as well, so I had to cut back. I would like to get them, but they're lower on my list than other themes(same with Galaxy Squad).

We do have Elves as a new action theme, plus we have had Arctic and now Underseas explorers which are action themes within city, Ultra Agents, and super heroes. With Ninjago, plus some likely action oriented movie franchise and Scooby Doo, we have plenty.

Chima has been a wonderful theme for minifigs and parts, and I am sorry to see it ending so soon. The fire and ice line has more potential in my view to go for a full on zoids style mecha dinosaur wave. The Chima line has been much fresher and more imaginative than Ninjago in my view for 14 and 15. However, Ninjago has far superior media support.

I guess there will be no direct replacement, but if there is one I think it would be something like Exo Force with a mecha flavour. That becomes a gap in the range once Chima is over.

I really liked Chima in its first year, and I bought almost all the sets. In 2014, my interest somehow dwindled which led me to shift my focus to other themes and buy only a couple of the year's sets. I think the plot had a lot to do with my loss of interest, since the initial idea seemed really neat, but got a bit boring as time progressed. The sets were cool, but at the same time some of them felt bland from a lack of good story context I feel. Anyways, I feel Chima has run its course, and whether or not it gets replaced with a new theme doesn't matter much to me since Ninjago and Bionicle are now my top priority. I think if LEGO does introduce a new theme of this scale, they should establish a good foundation of a plot to build upon and develop the story as the years go on. Yes, the sets matter since that's what they have to sell, but a good, interesting story could be the driving force for people buying the sets, one of the reasons why I think Ninjago and Bionicle in its early years were so successful. Even though I haven't cared much for Chima recently, I am still sad to see it go. But, I think it's for the best.

Edited by EZNetwork

I wanted to like Chima, but the main reason I wasn't attracted to the sets was what I'm I supposed to do with a bunch of lion, gorilla, bird people? And the parts Id be getting weren't enough to balance out the minifig dilemma. So I'm glad it's ending and we finally get somthing new!

Never watched the cartoons but i did like chima. At least some of them. Especially the apes and scorpions. Ninjago never did anything for me though. But that whole fire ice thing in chima was a bit weak.

I think it's somewhat of a flop because it was supposed to be the new huge theme and it never lived up to the theme it was supposed to place. However it did well enough to get like 100 sets.

Some was good, a lot of it was very weak. Ninjago has dragons and buildings and little playlets and different things. Chima just had vehicles that looked like animals and that was it.

There's been a trend since 2011 to introduce some sort of theme with a big launch and huge budget for January, and most of them have been action themes... 2011 had Ninjago, 2012 had Friends, 2013 had Chima, 2014 had The Lego Movie, and 2015 had Bionicle... So most certainly a new theme will arise for 2016, but it may it may not be an action theme.

This thread title is really misleading, since the poll has far more to do about Chima than any new theme.

As for a new action theme in 2016, I'm fairly sure there will be. Chima is done, and I don't see Ultra Agents having another wave. There will be a huge push for Ninjago, especially in the fall when the movie releases. However, I don't see Ninjago as being the only action theme in 2016.

Apparently Mark Stafford is working on something cool that is releasing in January.

Edited by ghostmind

Apparently Mark Stafford is working on something cool that is releasing in January.

Source? If so, it's almost definitely got to be this new theme. Since he specializes (kinda) in mechs, something along the lines of Exo-Force would be sweet.

Source? If so, it's almost definitely got to be this new theme. Since he specializes (kinda) in mechs, something along the lines of Exo-Force would be sweet.

I'm dreading it if it contains an overload of CCBS parts (like some people want). Certain lines need to remain sacred and true to their origin.

I'm dreading it if it contains an overload of CCBS parts (like some people want). Certain lines need to remain sacred and true to their origin.

Good point, most newer mechs have been using tons of CCBS... Ninjago's summer wave mechs seems relatively CCBS-free though.

Good point, most newer mechs have been using tons of CCBS... Ninjago's summer wave mechs seems relatively CCBS-free though.

Actually, the Earth Mech and Electromech used CCBS in effective ways to communicate what they were going for and I've got no problem with that (side note: I'd be willing to debate that point on the Summer Mechs, while it's not a large amount of parts they stick out like a sore thumb).

Back on-topic, I'm pretty sure we're not getting any new gigantic new "main" line anytime soon, right now they're really trying to push NINJAGO's comeback and BIONICLE is almost certainly going to be shoved in the limelight next year (if not this one). We still don't know the exact details on NINJAGO's own seeming discontinuation and reboot next year anyway.

I'm fine with Chima, although in general I think this theme isn't original enough, or is unable to pull it further like Chima could.

As for Ninjago, personally I'm not sure about the another wave (story arc) coming in the latter 2015. I would expect to see LEGO make another new theme right in this year, not matter it's the replacement for Chima or a temperary filler. I love Ninjago but wouldn't like to see it occupy the whole action theme line. One story arc per year could better ensure its longterm place in LEGO lines, I assume.

Suppose that Elves is successful enough to enter 2016, for now it seems like LEGO only planned one story arc for it this year, beginning with the tree house and ending up with the castle.

Without a doubt there will be new themes in January, and one will have to be an action theme to take Chima's place. I don't see LEGO launching two huge waves of NinjaGo this year and then two huge waves next year. Something big has to launch in January of next year. It might be a huge return to Castle, I'm hoping for a new Space theme, but something new will come back.

I think that Chima did basically what Lego hoped it would do in terms of sales, but not good enough to merit a stay of execution like Ninjago got. I think that the line skewed perhaps a bit too young and alienated some of the older kids that they were hoping would migrate to Chima in the absence of Ninjago. Speaking from experience, my son who was around 8-9 years old when Chima was introduced dismissed the sets as "too babyish" and jumped from Ninjago straight into Galaxy Squad. I think also that the over reliance on the fire vs. ice arc may have hurt it's overall sales.

As for new action sets in 2016, I think that depends a lot on what is planned for Elves and Ultra Agents. UA has had a 3 wave run, but it looks like Lego has invested a lot in this line with many new parts, the app and the app bricks. Given the impending focus on Ninjago with the upcoming movie and the sunk costs already built into this theme, it may make sense to push out another wave or 2 with a story re-boot in case a new theme launch is overshadowed by Ninjago in 2016. Elves is targeted at girls and Lego may want to give it another year and 2 waves of sets to see if it can establish another girl focused theme outside of Friends. If so, that could increase Lego's sales dramatically. I think the continuation of those themes means no new action theme. But if either of those lines is cancelled, then yes I think another action theme will be incoming. And in that case, I can definitely see Lego using their experience from UA to launch another theme with an app tie in and app bricks.

As for new action sets in 2016, I think that depends a lot on what is planned for Elves and Ultra Agents. UA has had a 3 wave run, but it looks like Lego has invested a lot in this line with many new parts, the app and the app bricks. Given the impending focus on Ninjago with the upcoming movie and the sunk costs already built into this theme, it may make sense to push out another wave or 2 with a story re-boot in case a new theme launch is overshadowed by Ninjago in 2016. Elves is targeted at girls and Lego may want to give it another year and 2 waves of sets to see if it can establish another girl focused theme outside of Friends. If so, that could increase Lego's sales dramatically. I think the continuation of those themes means no new action theme. But if either of those lines is cancelled, then yes I think another action theme will be incoming. And in that case, I can definitely see Lego using their experience from UA to launch another theme with an app tie in and app bricks.

The problem with that is we got Chima, NinjaGo, Super Agents and Elves this year, so why wouldn't there be a third (I don't count Elves) action theme for next Winter?

I have a feeling the reason why we have two big waves of NinjaGo is because the second one will last into next year, that NinjaGo won't have a January release, just a sumer 2016 release, leading into the movie. Then there would need to be something new for January. This is the first year we have two complete different NinjaGo theme releases right?

Not gonna vote because there's no option for being indifferent about Chima ending.

In any case, I may be a huge fan of action themes, but frankly I can't help but feel a little sorry for Castle fans and Spacers these days, when neither theme has a real presence. "Action theme" is really a fan-made term anyway, to cover themes that AREN'T Castle or Town or Space. So how about an "action theme-like" Castle or Space theme next year? Maybe something like Knights Kingdom II or Galaxy Squad, which had distinct characters rather than just assorted soldiers (since character-based play has proven so successful for themes like Ninjago).

Not gonna vote because there's no option for being indifferent about Chima ending.

In any case, I may be a huge fan of action themes, but frankly I can't help but feel a little sorry for Castle fans and Spacers these days, when neither theme has a real presence. "Action theme" is really a fan-made term anyway, to cover themes that AREN'T Castle or Town or Space. So how about an "action theme-like" Castle or Space theme next year? Maybe something like Knights Kingdom II or Galaxy Squad, which had distinct characters rather than just assorted soldiers (since character-based play has proven so successful for themes like Ninjago).

No need to feel bad for us Castle fans. We're getting a big new theme next year, anyway. I do feel bad for Space fans, though. They always get thrown in the backseat of the Lego truck and never get a whole lot of attention. I feel like a new space theme could be in the pipeline with the success of the SSS and Exo-Suit.

I voted that Chima was a flop and that there will be a new action theme next year. I based Chima's flop off of the poor sales of the Speedorz, which seemed like a very big part of the show and sets. I also think there will be a new action theme next year, it just won't be Chima sized, probably more the size of Monster Fighters.

I wonder if LEGO could turn all classic themes into action themes versions with story concepts? Nnjago's actual predecessor was the Castle Ninja, and Elves could be a fairytale version of Castle in future waves. I would rather expected Pirate as a subtheme for Ninjago than the upcoming ghost series.

Earlier classic themes had some occasional and intereseting story ideas behind the subthemes, but due to restrictions of technologies we couldn't see more. Princess Storm would be an interesting addition to the current Castle line.

Of course, this might not satisfy all FOLs. Some just want a more classic or generic version of the themes, and after all there are still differences (lots of Ninjago tchnologies that didn't appear in Ninja, for example). It's also similiar with the license versus non-license debate. Unless we just buy them and modify into the MOCs we want.

Friends is actually like a storywise version of City. As for City Police, the real LEGO City :tongue:, I'm dissapointed with that Undercover doesn't become a concept for later sets.

Edited by Dorayaki

Im also indifferent to Chima, whether it be continuing or ending. But I do remember, before it launched, how someone quoted a TLG guy saying once we see Ninjagos replacement (which turned out to be Chima), we wont believe it hadnt come sooner (or something like that). Well, look how that turned out. :laugh:

I guess we will see a new actio theme, since both Chima and UA are being retired, if im not wrong. Though what with Ninjago, Bionicle, Elves and Scooby Doo, I really dont think the Action crowd would have been left hangning without a new theme.

From the first second I saw the trailer for the show around two years ago,I knew that this would be a theme that I would totally be getting into. While I'll always have a very deep personal love for Chima,both the toys and the cartoon,I'm not upset at all that it's over. The show's finale was very satisfying,and I thought the final wave of toys was really good.Since the beginning of the show,Chima has handled huge armies battling each other very well,and the tribe battle packs emphasis that style of play.

It's unfortunate that this theme was so hated,though,but even though people loved to hate it,I'll always love it.

Edited by GoldenChi