SheepEater

The Hobbit movies discussion

(****** WARNING. FULL OF SPOILERS FROM THE BOOK. **********)

(**Initially this thread had a subtitle, WARNING, SPOILERS but the new forum format removed them. **)

Do you think Peter Jackson will keep Fili and Kili's fate the same as in the book?

I hope so, but if he doesn't, the only way he could change it is by NOT making them Thorin's nephews anymore. Then they couldn't succeed him anymore and that would still allow Dain Ironfoot to become King under the Mountain.

Edited by SheepEater

Awesome!! Finally someone started a topic for The Hobbit. I read the book a couple of months back and I really enjoyed them. I cant wait for a picture of Smaug :cry_happy:

Do you think Peter Jackson will keep Fili and Kili's fate the same as in the book?

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be kept the same; did they ever change anything like that in LotR?

Fili and Kili were my favourite of the Dwarves. I was sad when they died.

However, I hope (and think) that Peter Jackson won't change their fates in the movie. The more accuracy, the better!

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be kept the same; did they ever change anything like that in LotR?

Dain was never mentioned in the trilogy, but I don't think anything like that was changed. It'd be too confusing for kids reading the book and then watching the movies afterwards.

What I'm interested in with the movie is where they will split it into two. My guess is in Mirkwood. Another question I have is how they will portray the Trolls, seeing as how they have already been portrayed in the trilogy.

I'm interested to see PJ's portrayal of the Mirkwood elves personality-wise. I'm wondering if they'll be made to be misguided good guys or just antagonists. (Excluding, of course, Legolas and the new character Tauriel. I have no doubt of how their morale will be portrayed).

As to where the movies will be split, I believe it will be at the Barrels out of Bonds chapter, because PJ released a HUGE horizontal poster of The Hobbit where we see tons of images from scenes (including Beorn!) and the last image to the far right is of the barrels floating in the river.

Beorn's house is :wub: :wub:

The only thing I would have liked to see in that last video is Tauriel.

Edited by SheepEater

Waiting patiently for this to come out finally. It's coming out at the end of this year, correct?

The only thing I would have liked to see in that last video is Tauriel.

I could have sworn that the video showed a very brief glimpse of Evangeline Lilly in costume. I'd have to go back and watch again to be sure.

Seems there is now discussion on whether The Hobbit will become a trilogy!

Not sure how to feel about that really, I've never bothered to read the appendices in The Hobbit or LOTR :blush: so I'm unsure about how much extra material is available (or even what Gandalf gets up to while he leaves the the group in The Hobbit). I think I'd prefer to get some nicely extended DVD releases - IMHO the extended LOTR trilogy is far superior to the theatrical release.

Seems there is now discussion on whether The Hobbit will become a trilogy!

Not sure how to feel about that really, I've never bothered to read the appendices in The Hobbit or LOTR :blush: so I'm unsure about how much extra material is available (or even what Gandalf gets up to while he leaves the the group in The Hobbit). I think I'd prefer to get some nicely extended DVD releases - IMHO the extended LOTR trilogy is far superior to the theatrical release.

I agree. Having read the appendices, there just isn't enough stuff to warrant a whole new feature film. Seeing as each LOTR film is based upon a single book, how can one much shorter one need as many films as three much longer books put together? :wacko:

I also own the extended edition of LOTR, and I really think that they should do the same thing for The Hobbit films. The whole point of an entended edition is so that we can see a lot more scenes, some quite important, that were cut from the films so as to make them an acceptable length. I really doubt that enough material had to be cut from The Hobbit films to make a title of its own. Two films is just about okay (Although I would much prefer a single longer one), with the stuff that is there, but three films is really pushing it. With adding an extra film, there is also the high possibility of a lot of drawn-out and filler scenes, that just don't need to be that long, added so that the film can be long enough for cinema release. I really hope that Peter Jackson makes the right decision so that this great story can live up to its cinematic expectations.

Edited by Scorpiox

There is all the content in the Hobbit section of the Unfinished Tales book, plus the minor appendices to the Hobbit, maybe enough to make a extended edition of two films, but not a trilogy. Maybe the third film will be the 'Bridge' film that the second one was original rumoured to be.

Yeah, mid-december I believe. And Lego Hobbit sets 2 weeks before that.

Seriously? The sets are coming out before the movie? :oh:

It would seem odd to me if they make a trilogy out of it. I already thought two books may have been too much. I'm looking forwards to it all the same. Don't know if I'll wait for the second one to come out to watch the first one though. Though that'd be a long wait. I guess I'll have to see how soon the DVDs become available.

I agree. Having read the appendices, there just isn't enough stuff to warrant a whole new feature film. Seeing as each LOTR film is based upon a single book, how can one much shorter one need as many films as three much longer books put together? :wacko:

I completely disagree with you, seeing as Peter Jackson is sitting on the rights to, not only the Hobbit, but 150 additional pages of notes about the Hobbit from Tolkien and the entire LOTR appendices. Think "bridge movie".

Anyway, this article breaks down the possible options for the trilogy better than I can. A great read.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/07/26/59799-third-hobbit-movie-how-what-when-why/

Yeah, www.theonering.net sure is the best fansite. :thumbup:

I remember it being already big and active BEFORE the movies even came out.

No wonder they were the first to receive the high-res image of Bag End directly from LEGO.

I'm still not decided whether or not I would like it to be 3 movies. "The Hobbit" book itself is far too short, and the appendices aren't that long either.

I'm still not decided whether or not I would like it to be 3 movies. "The Hobbit" book itself is far too short, and the appendices aren't that long either.

What is in the appendices is just notes that Tolkien wrote. Tolkien was going to rewrite the Hobbit book to include it all, but I guess it just never happened. I think there is enough to make a trilogy. If they have been able to make two films and still have stuff they want to include, it would be awesome if they made three films! That way, not only will they cover almost everything in the story, it will lengthen the LOTR/Hobbit license for however many years it takes for this new trilogy to be released, meaning more Hobbit and LOTR sets. :wub: