Sign in to follow this  
Siegfried

Cutlass to foreshadow a return of the Pirate Theme?

Vote now!  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a sign that Pirates are returning?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno

banner-poll2.gif

In "Bridge Walker vs White Lightning" the spear guns were used on Bridge Walkers head. At the time I though it was just an interesting part choice, but soon after Aqua Raiders turned up. Now one of the new Indy sets is using the old cutlass, a part that hasn't been used for six years. Does this mean that Pirates are coming back? 8-|

51UpuX9x5BL._SS400_.jpg

Not to be a pessimist, but I doubt it. They were probably subbing it in for a different part. Besides, it looks like old grey to me. ;-)

mando_helmet_viking_2.png

I'd like to believe it meant the return of Pirates...but I doubt we can call that a definitive sign.

Hope I'm wrong though deino2.gif

I don't like being a pessimist either, but the LEGO Group tends to bring back old pieces unexpectedly (like the monkey in the Speedracer sets - I wasn't expecting that) but it never seems to any relation to themes they may potentially release in the future.

I can't really imagine them thinking "Well lets sneak X piece into this set because we're going to revive Y theme in the near future"

It would be good to be wrong though.

Besides, it looks like old grey to me. ;-)

..errr... what do you mean by that? I'm saying that they might have re-made the mold; according to the instructions it comes with two.

like the monkey in the Speedracer sets - I wasn't expecting that

Actually I was. The monkey is a main character and the part was used only four years ago.

I don't like being a pessimist either, but the LEGO Group tends to bring back old pieces unexpectedly (like the monkey in the Speedracer sets - I wasn't expecting that) but it never seems to any relation to themes they may potentially release in the future.

I can't really imagine them thinking "Well lets sneak X piece into this set because we're going to revive Y theme in the near future"

It would be good to be wrong though.

Gleek, the monkey in Speed Racer, is as much a character as some of the others, so he had to be in there.

Should I mention that the lamp post in Cafe Corner is referred to internally by TLG as a"Fabuland Standard", or would that get someone's hopes up? ;-)

I don't know about pirates, but I hope the little Elven pic is an indication of a future faction for Castle. Until we see something that bold, I won't believe in new pirates. *shudders* New pirates. Just imagine how wrong they could get it...

This thread title is a little deceiving. It should be amended! Like: "Cutless to forshadow a Return?"

In any other case:

No. Maybe they used it because there is actually a cutless in the movie...

:O Movie spoiler!!!!

In "Bridge Walker vs White Lightning" the spear guns were used on Bridge Walkers head. At the time I though it was just an interesting part choice, but soon after Aqua Raiders turned up. Now one of the new Indy sets is using the old cutlass, a part that hasn't been used for six years. Does this mean that Pirates are coming back? 8-|

It's a conspiricy I tell ya! :oh3: Although I think that what your saying dosn't mean megoblocks i'm with you all the way! :thumbup:

This thread title is a little deceiving. It should be amended! Like: "Cutless to forshadow a Return?"

Isn't that the same meaning as the current title? How do you read it?

It's a conspiricy I tell ya! :oh3: Although I think that what your saying dosn't mean megoblocks i'm with you all the way! :thumbup:

Yay! Mindless positivity! :-P

Should I mention that the lamp post in Cafe Corner is referred to internally by TLG as a"Fabuland Standard", or would that get someone's hopes up? ;-)

Well Fabuland parts have been recycled a lot; but I don't see that as meaning much. But there is no reason why they had to use the cutlass, or even include a sword at all. But sadly I'm probably wrong... I was just curious what others thought.

..errr... what do you mean by that? I'm saying that they might have re-made the mold; according to the instructions it comes with two.

I got it. I simply meant that they stuck an old one in his hand. Of course they're going to re-make the mold. :blush:

mando_helmet_viking_2.png

Besides, it looks like old grey to me. ;-)

It sure does look like old gray... But maybe that's just the picture.

Someone will need to get a copy of this set once it's released and take a close-up picture of the sabre.

Someone will need to get a copy of this set once it's released and take a close-up picture of the sabre.

It should be soon since the instrustions are available.

I think they are.

Another possible hint: theres a Conquistador(sp?) helmet in the big set.

As they say in the old TV Commercials...

A cutlass isn't a cutlass Unless it's a DuraSlicey© cutlass!™

DuraSlicey: Cutlasses for all you're plundering, Looting, Pilfering, Decapitating and Slicing needs!

:tongue:

On Topic:

Sounds like they could be returning, but it could just be a placeholder.

Edited by maiq the liar

A cutlass, a conquistidor hat, and a high concentration of ship sets it the current castle line, this could all be interpeted to mean that pirates are indeed coming back.

Of course it could also mean that we are getting a corsair-like faction for castle, that'll be nice also.

But it could also mean nothing.

I think Johnny 5 has a point, there have been a few old pirate pieces that have recentally been released. It could mean that a pirates theme may be in the works. Its hard to say though, since if the cutlass, and conquistidor helmet are in the movie then Lego has to put them into their sets. I just hope that soon we'll see the return of pirates, better keep our eyes open for any other clues.

I just want a another pirate theme so I voted yes ;)

I agree that there seems to be a resurgence of pirate related pieces in recent lines, It could perhaps mean a possible return, but I won't get my hopes up. A good point raised though Sinner.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I agree with what's already been siad, I#m not sure it means a return yet, I do think that Lego might be testing the water with a number of large castle ships, I asume we'll get another one next year?! I would expect if they all do well the chance of a few years down the line some pirates being quite high. I don't thnk the cutless (short sword so it cut less) means anything other than that the mold still works which is great to see.

Well, Lego has done it before:

In 1998 in the 5988 set Pharaos Forbidden Ruins a cutlass appeared and a few years later we indeed got pirates... they were the 4+ ones..... :pir-sick:

Let's keep hoping.

:jollyroger:

(Nice new smilies, by the way :pir_yoda: )

I voted "dunno". Maybe it means something, maybe it means nothing at all. Let's wait and see (which is the only thing we can do anyway).

I fear not. It just seems to be the right piece to use there :pir-wink:

LuxorV

I'm on the dunno side.

I'd love to see some new pirate sets, with new figs to bring some diversity in our world, but one sinle sign doesn't convince me of that.

Sinner, you just made me happy with nothing this morning, you clam eating stink monster! :pir-grin:

I'm afraid it doesn't mean much, just like the monkey mold mentioned before. And I think there where also flintlock rifles in the batman set arkham asylum, and the ship midsections in the viking longship and some castle ships.

Allthough we can always hope for a new (good, as in: not 4+) pirate theme. At least they still have some of the important molds.

Edited by Fluyt

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

And I think there where also flintlock rifles in the batman set arkham asylum, and the ship midsections in the viking longship and some castle ships.

Allthough we can always hope for a new (good, as in: not 4+) pirate theme. At least they still have some of the important molds.

Call me argumentive, but I don't think the Musket ever went out of production. In recent years it was only unused in 2003 and 2005. But as you say, the ship midsection was another recent return, but I think that was a new mold as well. (The fact that they have used the bow and middle in two other sets but still refuse to bring back the old bow and stern are proof enough for me. Due to the colour it couldn't be old parts either.)

Sinner, you just made me happy with nothing this morning, you clam eating stink monster! :pir-grin:

Well, at least I made you happy. :pir-grin: