I read a few threads here about cleaning LEGO parts, but the challenge I have now is tougher than usual: glue residue!

When removing custom stickers from my last MOC, most of them left quite a bit of glue residue on the panels and liftarms.

I eventually figured I could avoid that by heating the sticker with a small halogen lamp, but too late.

Rubbing the glue residue with my finger (tip or nail) only seems to make it worse.

Looking around for ABS chemical resistance (e.g. here), it seems ABS doesn't get on well with many solvents. Only found these ones won't damage ABS:

• Fruit Juices
  • Glycerine
  • Hydrobromic Acid (Aqueous Solution)
  • Potassium Chloride (Aqueous Solution)
  • Vinegar
  • Water

Anyone knows of a better (safe) trick to get this glue residue off my parts?

Thanks!

I had pretty good results using tape head cleaning solution removing glue residues from various plastic surfaces. I apply some to paper towel or cloth or swab and wipe the residue off.

Edited by dr_spock

There are two methods I use:

• Repeatedly dab the surface with some duct tape. It has some pretty angry stickiness that is effective for lifting up sticker gunge. If that doesn't work...
  • Spray the gunge with some deodorant, about an inch away from the surface and wipe away immediately. The temperature drop caused by the aerosol seems to make the gunge less sticky (and leaves a pleasant smell).

I always used Eucalipt oil.

Just need to wash in warm water after that

How to sing Rammstein - Benzin

The rag soaked in gasoline removes the glue well and it does not dissolve ABS

Edited by markot

Thanks guys! I think I can get my hands on Cif cream, an aerosol or duct tape easily, not so sure about Benzin (don't have a car, never walk near a gas station).

Cif cream +

sponge250.jpg

How abrasive is this? I can think of 3 kind of abrasive in these pads

- traditional will-ruin-teflon

- not-so-old won't-ruin-teflon

- Non-scratch fibers

I'm inclined to use the last one, which is anyway what I use every day and works great with dishes, pans, etc.

I always used Eucalipt oil.

Just need to wash in warm water after that

I can second this - Eucalyptus Oil is great at getting most gluey/gummy residue from lots of surfaces, without damage...

well.. the smell will hang around for a bit - but a wash with warm soapy water will get rid of that too!

RB

How abrasive is this? I can think of 3 kind of abrasive in these pads

- traditional will-ruin-teflon

- not-so-old won't-ruin-teflon

- Non-scratch fibers

I'm inclined to use the last one, which is anyway what I use every day and works great with dishes, pans, etc.

I'm not sure, I think I used the traditional (the cheapest and most common household one) which ruins teflon, but it was not brand new. You don't have to scrub the piece strongly.

I once removed stickers from an old set. I then soaked in water and dish washing soap for 1 day and then wiped good and got a fine shiny blue brick. I may have failed and repeated the procedure once though.

Cif cream +

sponge250.jpg

I'm not sure about that - CIF itself is quite abrasive and the spunge green layer too.

I once removed stickers from an old set. I then soaked in water and dish washing soap for 1 day and then wiped good and got a fine shiny blue brick. I may have failed and repeated the procedure once though.

I did the same - hot water (not boiling), just hot, liquid soap for dishwashing (PRIL, JAR,...) let it soak - it doesn't go down easy - for perfect result I used fingertips and for the thicker glue spots i used the tip of the orange brick separator, there were no scratches... The panels are like new :-)

3M make a product specifically for removing adhesive residue, just Google it. It's great stuff and doesn't harm plastics. I've used it on all sorts of stuff, just squire a bit on and rub off with a clean dry bit of rag.

• Spray the gunge with some deodorant, about an inch away from the surface and wipe away immediately. The temperature drop caused by the aerosol seems to make the gunge less sticky (and leaves a pleasant smell).

If you are worried about the deodoarant's effect on ABS, you could use those pressurized air cans used for cleaning dust out of computers (they are excellent at dusting lego as well by the way)

I had success removing sticker glue with WD-40. I was cleaning glass jars though. Not sure if WD-40 is harmful to plastics.

Spray the lubricant on a paper towel, press it against the area with glue and let the glue soak it in from the towel. After couple seconds wipe it all off with the towel. Obviously the part needs to be washed with soap to remove the lubricant.

Edited by sonar

Lighter fluid might work. I don't know if it would affect abs, but if you leave a little on the residue it'll break it down so you can wipe it off with a soft cloth. It's what I use on viny records too!

I also have used WD-40 on a paper towel followed by warm water and soap. Works perfectly and did not damage my bricks.

Alcohol can remove paint from bricks, my personal experience.

WD-40 can be a solution + soap and warm water.

WD-40 also lubricates my old set 8858 Rebel Wrecker (part 6571 - Technic Steering Arm Small ).

Edited by FX6000