Sign in to follow this  
Mosana

TUTORIAL: How I make torsos in MS Paint

Thought I'd share how I get my things done. The example I'm using here is a 1815-peroid French fusilier.

torsoze7.png

This is how every torso starts. You can see the blank template, the selection of colours below it, and the random useful objects around it. The first step is to get a picture of what you want to do, and stick it somewhere on the picture, like so:

tut1mm0.png

This covers over some medallions and the fancy lace, but neither of them will be needed. Drawing can then begin.

The collar is the first thing I always draw. The lines I use are the second-thickest for most things, with small items done with the third-thickest line.

tut2ui1.png

Then some detail is drawn in with the thinner line:

tut3gc5.png

After that, a button is drawn, then copied to make all of the buttons the same size:

tut4vd2.png

The whole torso is then coloured:

tut5dy5.png

Crossbelts are then added, first by drawing them (in a non-black colour, so filling them in later doesn't interfere with the black lines already drawn). Care is taken to make sure the distance between the lines at both ends is around the same, although I often fail to achieve this. |-/

tut6aq2.png

The belts are then filled in, and once all of the detail is filled in, the belt lines can be chaged to black:

tut7gl9.png

And with that, the torso is done. It can now be cut out, put on a grey background and have its edges cleaned up:

frzio0.png

With that, all that's left to do it save (AS A .PNG THIS IS IMPORTANT) it with an illogical difficult-to-remember-later filename and post it here.

Or you could skip all this and just recolour an existing one. If you look at all the torsos I've done, you will find a huge amount of hussar recolours, the original being the French Guard Chasseur. All my mexicans are based off one body, and many of my recent cavalry torsos are recolours or modifications of the colonial British. You have strange ones as well, such as the French Zouaves being re-done as Russian naval artillery, although my favourite is that Peter the Great has to share a body with Charles XII!

Hope this guide helps some people.

If you want to start making your own, the template and official colours are here:

Torso Template and Color Guide

You don't need to use official colours, but it helps if, for example, your torso is mostly green and designed to be used on a green body, that the green used is the official shade of Lego green.

Edited by Mosana

So thats how people make good decals in paint. :-|| I will defenatly be doing this with my Star Wars decals.

SW nerd ON OFF ON

Just one question: When do you resise it?

I'm very happy you made this tutorial !!

Paint is a program that everyone has on his PC.

So from now on, nobody has an excuse not to make torso's ;-)

I've been thinking of adding a pinned topic below the "Torso library" that contains links to tutorials, color charts, ... .

Basically all the info that's needed to make torso's. Now that this tutorial is available, I'll be starting with that.

If you have any idea or suggestions, let me know!

Great tutorial, makes it seems so easy to make perfect designs.

Do you have a doctors note?

No, but I have a Classic-Pirates.com that is in need of further development.

I've just spent the past hour figuring out how to setup a limited access FTP account for ZCerberus's brother while still letting him view the Classic-Pirate.com template as you would see if you had access to all the whole website... I think I may have succeeded... But lets discuss that elsewhere...

So thats how people make good decals in paint. :-|| I will defenatly be doing this with my Star Wars decals.

SW nerd ON OFF ON

Just one question: When do you resise it?

When it's all done, you can stick it into word and shrink it down to the right size, then print it.

Thanks alot Mr Mosana! Very helpful..

When it's all done, you can stick it into word and shrink it down to the right size, then print it.

Here's another hint: If you resize them with word, the length should be 1,19 and the other dimension(not sure what's the right English word for that..) has to be 1,48. That's only with Mr Mosana's torsos though...

Mr Tiber

Thanks alot Mr Mosana! Very helpful..

Here's another hint: If you resize them with word, the length should be 1,19 and the other dimension(not sure what's the right English word for that..) has to be 1,48. That's only with Mr Mosana's torsos though...

Mr Tiber

Also, my torsos are the same size as all the cutoms on classic-castle.

Once again, thanks for this guide! Well, I made a torso (a recreation of the fusilier actually, so I don't want to take all the credit...) but I have little problems with cutting the torso out, could you explain it abit more please??

Also, my torsos are the same size as all the cutoms on classic-castle.

Could you send me a link please? I can't happen to find it...

Mr Tiber

I've never printed out or cut out a torso. I just don't like using them, so I can't help with any stages past printing it.

Also, the classic-castle stuff is here:

http://www.classic-castle.com/howto/articles/Torsos.html

This article and all the subsequent torso articles on the website use the colours I use.

Edited by Mosana

I've never printed out or cut out a torso. I just don't like using them, so I can't help with any stages past printing it.

Also, the classic-castle stuff is here:

This article and all the subsequent torso articles on the website use the colours I use.

Thank you, but I actually meant cutting the torso out of Paint... I still have some problems with doing that.

Also thanks for the link.

Mr Tiber

Edited by Mr Tiber

I see what you mean now. you use the dotted-line square tool to draw a square around it, then copy and paste it into a new paint window. You move it up into the top-left corner, then drag the endges of the paint window closer until they touch the edges of the torso, as seen in the last picture of the tutorial. You can then colour the background in with grey.

I see what you mean now. you use the dotted-line square tool to draw a square around it, then copy and paste it into a new paint window. You move it up into the top-left corner, then drag the endges of the paint window closer until they touch the edges of the torso, as seen in the last picture of the tutorial. You can then colour the background in with grey.

great tutorial ...

Thanks for the guide Mr Mosana! I made my first torso with your guide. And guess what, it's a fusilier!!(original isn't it! X-D )

fusilier.bmp_thumb.jpg

Pic=thumbnail...

Why can't I upload a bmp picture? Why is it Bmp at all?!

Looks quite alot like Mr Mosana's one, but it is a bit different... I just tried to recreate his...

I took a different blue to see how it works with LEGO blue...

How do you like it?

I'm gonna make more in the future...

Mr Tiber

Edited by Mr Tiber

Finally there's a way to easily make torsos.Where do you get a minifig torso template?

Fantastic tutorial... I haven't used the paint program for torsos but this was a fun excuse to try! I'm still messing around but I thought I'd what I've done so far....

Introducing Lord Beckett from POTC3... in paint.

250px-CutlerBeckett.jpg

beckett.jpg

Thanks again for the tutorial... Now I need to work on clean lines.

Thanks for the template. After you download it, how do you get it to paint. I'm retarted when it comes to computers.

And does anyone have a head template?

Wierd...the template torso seems mis-scaled...print-preview didnt show it in the right size.

Edited by maiq the liar

Why can't I upload a bmp picture? Why is it Bmp at all?!

.bmp files are so darn big it takes hours to upload/download.. Just save them as .png, it's even better quality and the file size will be smaller.

(Click "save as", then click on the dropdown that shows ".bmp", and then choose .png, and save!) X-D

I totally forgot to reply to this. The link is

just copy it and paste it into paint.

Could you add this info in your first post Mr. Mosana?

Should we also provide a link to a color chart?

Maybe add a remark that it is preferred to use official colors as much as possible?

I've pinned this tutorial on top of the forum, so we should make it as complete as possible.

It is clearly helping users to start experimenting with designing torso's and that's really something. Thanks !!

Edited by bonaparte