Sign in to follow this  
Halhi 141

[The Frozen Beyond, Cat A] Last Blossom of Hope

Here's my entry for Category A of the Frozen Beyond contest.

24341203041_b840cf56a6_c.jpg

Hoping to get over our argument, I reluctantly agreed to accompany Gremlon on a trip to Mitgardia.

Our destination was Falcon Manor - a vital fortress that was untouched by the Algus.

Until now...

24128079200_873b0206ea_c.jpg

24423672435_1866e85791_c.jpg

After my last few small builds, it was nice to build a slightly larger moc again.

The main technical challenge in this MOC was the rounded wall - it's a technique I've used only once before (in Zelpunra's Tower), and the fact that I built that section in about 2 days (rather than 1-2 months) made it particularily difficult. The right wooden section also had some tricky half-stud offsets that required a bit of subtle upside-down building.

I also haven't done many snowy builds (I think the last time I did one was early 2014) so that was fun, used most of my collection of curved slopes.

On a side note, photography was tricky with white on white. I really need to get a good light blue/grey/black background...

Enjoy!

23467617153_307fdfd9d5_c.jpg

23467614073_07995b558a_c.jpg

23466154094_6c2f95a520_c.jpg

23798713730_25008c71d0_c.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Your chances of getting a Chima battlepack are literally nil :P jk I really like this build.

I really like the textures here! My one critique would probably be the 1x1 round tiles on the left side; they just don't fit, in my opinion. But still, nicely done! :thumbup:

I really like the textures here! My one critique would probably be the 1x1 round tiles on the left side; they just don't fit, in my opinion. But still, nicely done! :thumbup:

Thanks! I see what you mean, but unfortunately I didn't have enough 1x1 square tiles (that wall technique is really piece-intensive).

Amazing texturing. The stain glass windows behind the wood frames compliments the stonework of the manor very nicely.

Lovely! My favoured parts are the walls and the woodwork, but overall a really cool buil

A really eyecatching fortress. So compact yet build on a very small scale.

Your wall technique is really doing its job here.

Also the three "seperate huts" on top of it makes it yell "CASTLE" even more.

I love the lamp hanging from the tower. Really nice design.

Truly a magnificant MOC of yours ! :thumbup:

This looks fantastic! I really like the wooden structures on top, as they make the stonework pop even more.

Lots to like about this build - the crossed swords are great and I really like the yellow and green stained glass! Very nice snowscaping as well!

That is one awesome castle!

Landscape and path are well made, but love the wooden bit on top, those windows look really nice

Stunning work!

While the execution is great, what truly makes this an outstanding entry to the category is the atmosphere you created. The dark and somewhat moistly looking cobbles at the bottom, those few leafs at the wall and that one lonely flower, these green windows (beauftiful!) and that single lantern which for me is kind of the hidden highlight of the build - all those just create some kind of "depressed" atmosphere, which is exactly what I think it feels to be defender against the Algus these days. Amazing!

Very nice castle !! I like the round wall technique, i have seen your "behind the scenes" picture on flickr, thanks for that !! :classic:

Very nice build, I especially like the rounded SNOTed shape of the left side :classic:

A small photography advice is to cover the back side of the build while taking the pictures (with a layer of bricks or some simple non-lego means), particularly in the second picture there is a bit of the backdrop visible through the cracks in the wall now.

Quite an impressive castle, I love the small bell tower :wub: Great layout overall, with lots of different things to examine, plus the wooden section of the building fits well in the Mitgardian style, and also adds some good contrast with the stone :thumbup:

Stunning work!

While the execution is great, what truly makes this an outstanding entry to the category is the atmosphere you created. The dark and somewhat moistly looking cobbles at the bottom, those few leafs at the wall and that one lonely flower, these green windows (beauftiful!) and that single lantern which for me is kind of the hidden highlight of the build - all those just create some kind of "depressed" atmosphere, which is exactly what I think it feels to be defender against the Algus these days. Amazing!

Thanks, I'm glad you like the lantern hanging out, that was one of my favorite parts of the MOC :classic:

Awesome, I love it!

All you need is some Black Falcon fis and flags to go with the shields. :sweet:

Haha, I really want to get some of those someday, but for now all I have is the black falcon shields from the Durmstrang Ship set...

Very nice build, I especially like the rounded SNOTed shape of the left side :classic:

A small photography advice is to cover the back side of the build while taking the pictures (with a layer of bricks or some simple non-lego means), particularly in the second picture there is a bit of the backdrop visible through the cracks in the wall now.

Thanks for the advice; normally I make sure to do that (and I think I did that with part of the round wall) but I forgot to do it for the rest of the MOC...