Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

WIP Imperial Sentry Box - Version 2

If you're not familiar with my Imperial Sentry Box MOC then familiarise yourself with it so you understand what's going on in this thread.

3d2.jpg

Click on the thumbnails to view larger images

right.jpg_thumb.jpg front.jpg_thumb.jpg top.jpg_thumb.jpg back.jpg_thumb.jpg left.jpg_thumb.jpg

My aim was to create a Sentry Box for the Imperial Guard theme so it looked it could have been a possible set. But many thought it looked to simplistic to be a set on its own, rather it could be part of a larger set. However, I wanted the Imperial Sentry Box to be a standalone set so I've gone back to the drawing board using MCLAD so I can use pieces that I don't own yet. First ever MCLAD creation too!

I've used some of suggestions posted in the previous thread, which include slopes for the roof and adding torches. I've also added some slopes at the front and completely brick the built the rear wall whereas before it was a castle wall piece.

So give me some feedback and suggestions on this incarnation and in a couple of days I'll do a plate version of the roof in MCLAD so we can compare the two.

Aha, you also started with MLCad. I'm experimenting myself.

It's a good idea to start with a small and rather simple design.

This looks very good. I'm sorry, but I have no tips for improvement.

It can be used as a standalone set and it is also useful in a larger set.

Will you be posting instructions when finished? This might be something I would like to build...

Ingenious Phes. Again, a simple, yet very effective design. Great colors. I like the red roof with the Imperial flag on top (although it's not a Eurobricks flag). Your images of the various perspectives gives it a real professional look. You're getting quite good with these pirate MOCs - if only these were real sets.

Nice job!

The lower portion is a vast improvement over its predecessor!

I do have a few thoughts though.

1. With the way you have constructed the roof, there is no need to have the gray plate in there. Pus if you do need a plate, perhaps a white one would be better!

2. The roof looks like the roof from Pizza Hut

Will you be posting instructions when finished? This might be something I would like to build...

I haven't really set it up in sets. Since this was my first MCLAD outing I thought I'd just keep it simple, but I suppose I could back and put steps in.

Ingenious Phes. Again, a simple, yet very effective design. Great colors. Your images of the various perspectives gives it a real professional look. You're getting quite good with these pirate MOCs - if only these were real sets.Nice job!

Thank you for you comments Brickster! Rumour has it that The LEGO Group ran out of ideas for Pirate sets and that's why the theme ended (not sure if I believe that though) so since I can't commit myself to huge MOCs I've taken it upon myself to find ideas and concepts that were never explored.

I like the red roof with the Imperial flag on top (although it's not a Eurobricks flag).

I've used the blue coat flag instead because I couldn't find the Imperial Guard flag, so if anyone knows where that is in MCLAD let me know!

The lower portion is a vast improvement over its predecessor!

Thew! That's a relief! X-D

1. With the way you have constructed the roof, there is no need to have the gray plate in there. Pus if you do need a plate, perhaps a white one would be better!

Since I'm using MCLAD now I can easily experiment with this. I'll do a couple of alternate models later on so we can see what looks best

2. The roof looks like the roof from Pizza Hut

Much improved! Still needs a street around it though ;-)

God Bless,

Nathan

The Imperial Guard is supposed to be a sub-model but I don't think its working properly because after I created the sub-model he was all on his own without the Sentry Box and I couldn't figure out how to insert the Imperial Guard sub-model into the sentry box file.

Ah, so he is a sub model then!

This is what you do...

There is a menu titled 'multipart' along the top. Once you select that menu you can see several options. The two for you to know is 'new model' and 'active model'. They are the very first two options.

When you start MLCAD the first model you make will be title 'untitled' or something clever like that in the submodel list. If you used the minifig generator, and select to create a new submodel, it will be titled something like 'minifig' in the submodel list.

Anyhow, to select which submodel you would like to work with, you can select 'active model' and select the proper submodel to work on it. Like I said in your case the first one is probably titled 'untitled' and the second is probably titled 'minifig' or something.

I would bet, since it sounds like you used the minifig generator, that you will have 2 submodels already, one will be the sentry box before you made the minifig, and the second will be the minifig... plus the rebuilt sentry box you made after your whole creation seemingly disappeared!

Here is the key you were missing... to insert a submodel into another model you have to

1) select the model you want to insert the submodel into from the 'active model' list.

2) on the left hand side of the screen where you select the parts to insert into the workspace should be a group titled 'documents' at the very bottom. Inside that group should be all the submodel you have created. Just select and drag the submodel into the working space and it will be inserted. Best part is that it will be a single part so you can rotate it to your heart's content!

I can do a little tutorial with pictures if anyone is interested. With your permission, Phes, I would use your sentry box as the working model so you could see the application. Also, it would be easily recognizable, so everyone could tell what I was doing... any interest?

Sure thing Mr ZCerberus, such a tutorial could be very useful to first time MCLAD users like myself. So by all means use The Imperial Sentry Box if you think it would help.

Thank you for you comments Brickster! Rumour has it that The LEGO Group ran out of ideas for Pirate sets and that's why the theme ended (not sure if I believe that though) so since I can't commit myself to huge MOCs I've taken it upon myself to find ideas and concepts that were never explored.

That doesn't stop TLC from making 3 X-Wings(not including the UCS set), 3 Slave I's, etc. :-D

Maybe recycling ideas is newer concept for TLC since they made SW sets.

P

Mister Phes, it seems you are very good in building small MOCs! I think this looks alot better then the original Sentry Box, I would give it a 7,5 out of 10 this time. But why did you MLCadded this? This is a quite small MOC, you should have the parts to build this, don't you?

It still reminds me of something at the entrance of a fancy Exotic Hotel.. :-P

But back in the good old days they didn't do that - or did they? But like I said it was only a rumour that they ran out of ideas, when I asked they told me "We wanted to explore other themes"

So Mister Phred, what do you think of this version of Imperial Sentry Box?

This is looking great Mr ZCerberus! You whipped that up pretty quickly too!

I have some paid to work to get done so I won't be able to have an MCLAD session until tonight or maybe tomorrow. But when I have some time I shall have your tutorial open as I work.

Thank you so much for doing that!

Wow Mr. P,

That looks something similar *cough cough* to something *cough* that i made *cough*

ah-hmm

X-D

sentryboxfront.jpg * sentryboxback.jpg

Anywayz,

I don't have all the red bricks but i had them in black.

Just thought you'd wanna see your model in plastic :-D

(Special Note:this is not my idea! i stole it from Mr. P. Also, my brother needed to help me make it :-|| )

P

It looks good...more like a small outpost on the side of a gate to the Governer's mansion. Very good. *y* .

This is proving to be quite a popular design so I shall definitely have to make building instructions.

I haven't actually experienced my own creation in plastic yet, (well that version) so how do you think it turned out Mr Phred? Did you omit the grey plate like Mr ZCerebus suggested or did you substitute it with a black plate? I can't quite tell.

This is proving to be quite a popular design so I shall definitely have to make building instructions.

I haven't actually experienced my own creation in plastic yet, (well that version) so how do you think it turned out Mr Phred? Did you omit the grey plate like Mr ZCerebus suggested or did you substitute it with a black plate? I can't quite tell.

It looks like the plate was foregone!

I am now also thinking it would be nice for the guard to have a little bench in there too!

Thank you so much for doing that!

No problem!

I am not a fan of technical writing, so I wrote in first person and I am hoping the images will guide you through!

Good luck!

I like it *y*

My wife likes it too and has it displayed on the book shelf in the living room :)

I did omitted the gray plate totaly and just set the slopes right on the wall pieces. Also, there's a different flag and flag pole. The only other thing i changed was using 32064.png on the back for mounting the flag pole onto. Everything else is as you designed it. ;-)

It definetely could have been a TLC set for 5-7 USD and would have sold like hot-cakes with those wall pieces.

Nice MOC Mr. P

P

This is great! I love playing around in MLCAD and I love your design. Thanks for the tutorial as well.

I'd be really interested to see how you guys do the instructions. I've always wanted to know how to do that in MLCAD.

Right now the green brick on the side is floating, but by making a minor change, it should be buildable.

I have two suggestions for solutions:

1)

Add a couple of 1x1 bricks between the bricks in the wall and the green brick in order to connect them.

2)

Replace the "holding brick" on the back side with a normal 1x1 brick.

Turn the other brick on its "back" and place a 1x1 plates on top of it - the green brick can now be connected with minimal distance to the wall, but is only supported using 1 stud.

I prefer the second suggestion since it allows for some tilting of the green brick as well ;)

Right now the green brick on the side is floating, but by making a minor change, it should be buildable.

I have two suggestions for solutions:

1)

Add a couple of 1x1 bricks between the bricks in the wall and the green brick in order to connect them.

2)

Replace the "holding brick" on the back side with a normal 1x1 brick.

Turn the other brick on its "back" and place a 1x1 plates on top of it - the green brick can now be connected with minimal distance to the wall, but is only supported using 1 stud.

I prefer the second suggestion since it allows for some tilting of the green brick as well ;)

just FYI,

The green leaf does fit onto those two 1x1 bricks (w/ stud on side) perfectly fine.

I saw what you had mentioned also, the "bottom" of the leaf on sticks out a mm or two from the wall; it's barely noticeable and looks fine ;-) *y*

P

This is becoming a real "group"-MOC.

Everybody is building it, modifying it, never seen this before on EB!

This is becoming a real "group"-MOC.

Everybody is building it, modifying it, never seen this before on EB!

I was just looking to expand the MLCAD empire!

;)

I didn't include the grey plate out of necessity, I included it because it is part of the aesthetic of Imperial Guard sets. For example: the red sloped in the Imperial Trading Post has a grey plate beneath it, but its not really required.

But here's what it looks like without the grey plate:

3d-no_grey_plate.jpg

I think I prefer having the grey plate though because it creates some separation between the roof and the base.

2. Overall I would suggest that you remove the gray plate, overhang the roof on the front and back by one stud, use all 45 degree slopes, then fill in on the front and back in between the slopes on the front and back with white instead of red bricks.

So here's what that looks like:

3d-roof2.jpg

So which roof looks better? Or should I do a third version that's half way between the first version and third version, I.e. Only having the slopes on the left and right sides while the front and back are flat?

Be aware that this will effect your chosen method for hanging the flag though!

Hmmm... What to do about the flag - does it look right where it is?

So which roof looks better? Or should I do a third version that's half way between the first version and third version, I.e. Only having the slopes on the left and right sides while the front and back are flat?

Hmmm... What to do about the flag - does it look right where it is?

I definitely prefer the first version of the roof.

The flag is at the right position, but I would change the color of the little round brick and mast into white.

Its unfortunate that the Imperial Guards flag is not in the MLCad library.