bpavsic's Trial Truck 006 Has LDD Building Instructions

12 replies to this topic

#1 DLuders

DLuders

• Technic Technician

Member: 7868

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:02 AM

Great credit is due to "bpavsic" for making a MONSTER TRUCK (Trial Truck 006) in Lego Digital Designer and in real life!  It's not easy making an LDD file of a Technic MOC; only Zblj (and now bpavsic) seems to be proficient at this.  The 4-wheel-drive truck uses 2 ea. Power Functions XL motors and 1 ea. Medium motor, and it has full suspension: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=431866 .  After you view the 16 photos on that Brickshelf gallery, be sure to save the LDD .lxf file -- you can build this MOC using LDD's building instructions!   :thumbup:  :thumbup:

YouTube video:   .

Lego Digital Designer .lxf File:  TTB006_Model.lxf

Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by dluders, 09 June 2010 - 02:17 AM.

#2 Jurgen Krooshoop

Jurgen Krooshoop

Member: 9323

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

Nice model. And in his Brickshelf-folder you can see what outdoor-trucktrial can do for your parts:
Posted Image

Sand is especially bad for LEGO-gears, but you do get a lot of outdoor-driving fun.

#3 backbone

backbone

Member: 8639

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

And those tan bevel gears, in axle will broke soon. Knob wheels are better. Ujoints are very weak too.

#4 Mortymore

Mortymore

Member: 4317

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:20 PM

When I see a TT model with traditional U-joints, I immediately discard the model as being actually good for TT.

As for gear, I supose (since I have any), that if there's something that could be better than knob wheels, are the old  expert builder gears g9, g15 and g21

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I noticed that the model may be running to fast for TT, so he has a lower torque than desired.

But in any case, I wish I had the parts to build it, like dluders did, because it's a good start since there's instructions available, and then one can think how to improve it.

I appreciated the effort of bpavsic and dluders  :thumbup:

Cumps

Edited by Mortymore, 09 June 2010 - 10:21 PM.

"MIT building 20 at 3:00 A.M. - Tek. 547, pizza, breadboard. - That's Education"
(in "The Art and Science of Analog Circuit Design"; Jim Williams)

#5 DLuders

DLuders

• Technic Technician

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:29 AM

I would not dismiss the MOC just because of a few bent/broken parts.  If they break, simply replace them with the extras you have.  They only cost (at most) US$1 total.  Compared to the cost of the parts needed to make the MOC in the first place, that's "chump change."

#6 Cwetqo

Cwetqo

• Didn't heed the Waarning

Member: 3955

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:31 AM

I've playing with zblj's trial truck (Lynx) for several hours on our show and none of U joints broke (it has double XL motors and transmision over 4 u joints). I drove it over real rocks and some really hard terrain and I could not imagine worst conditions, so I think that U-joints are not so bad. I agree on those bevel gears though: those get deformated pretty fast when under stress.

#7 Bojan Pavsic

Bojan Pavsic

Member: 9690

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:17 AM

Hey, i accidently found this thread :)

Btw, the LDD file is not totally complete, because there are no old big panels in LDD (that are used on the car). Also the picture of the "broken" parts is not from this truck. The 20 bevel gear was melted in another truck that i made (TTB-005) in a 90 degrees axle connection, which wasn't supported enough. The 16 gear is from this truck but not from the last version of it where the gears are sufficiently supported. The Axle is from the rear left wheel (i have no idea why only one of the axles was damaged. But there is some info on the internet, that some of the 5.5 axles are weaker then others (they are distinguishable by color).

About the tan gears and u-joints. I was on an offroad competition and before that, i spend about a month playing with the car outdoors. No u-joints or 12g tan gears were harmed during it all :) The motor to wheel ratio is 3:1, which is right about there for a nice speed / performance ratio. There is not that much torque on the joints & tan gears because the main reduction comes after them in the wheel hubs (thanks for that idea, zblj). We also had rope pulling on asphalt! The cars weren't moving at all, wheels weren't turning because of the grip so the motors were stalled. And nothing broke either.
There's always a way to include Technic in any Lego creations.

#8 Sariel

Sariel

Member: 10516

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:00 AM

View PostMortymore, on 09 June 2010 - 10:20 PM, said:

When I see a TT model with traditional U-joints, I immediately discard the model as being actually good for TT.

Which is completely wrong. There are many trucks with portal axles and traditional u-joints, with 3:1 gear reduction between the wheel and the u-joint, and I've never seen a single u-joint break in these. I believe that before you discard a model because some part is used, you should see how it's used.
With great power comes great electricity bill.

My hamster-powered creations at: Sariel.pl | Brickshelf | YouTube | Facebook

#9 88high

88high

Member: 22120

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

Very good truck! Will you make instructions? I realy like the front bumper

#10 DLuders

DLuders

• Technic Technician

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

Um, the Lego Digital Designer .lxf File (found in the original post) IS the Building Instruction -- TTB006_Model.lxf .

#11 nychase

nychase

Member: 15981

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

View PostDLuders, on 20 March 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

Um, the Lego Digital Designer .lxf File (found in the original post) IS the Building Instruction -- TTB006_Model.lxf .

Yeah...about that.  

Am I crazy or is LDD super impossible to use.  I mean, great, it has nice graphics for the building instructions but what I really need is a FULL parts list for brickstore and frankly the ability for everything to show up properly.  Unless I missed something, when I loaded the file it was missing many of the upper parts and was also built with different panels than what were pictured.  When I quickly searched how to convert ldd to mlcad it was even worse.  More parts were missing.  

Anyone have any experience...I would love to build this model and place it next to Grazi's Big Foot....mainly because this one actually drives!
Posted Image

#12 Alasdair Ryan

Alasdair Ryan

• Technic Hall of Fame Editor

Member: 8292

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

To make a parts list with LDD you need to use Superduperkalle's LDD Manger.

Read more here.
Posted Image

Updated 02/08/12
Posted Image

#13 nychase

nychase

Member: 15981

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

View PostAlasdair Ryan, on 21 March 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

To make a parts list with LDD you need to use Superduperkalle's LDD Manger.

Read more here.

Ok, Done.  

Although I will say that was hardly a perfect process either.  I think the problem is more that the ldd file was not complete anyway.  Nevertheless, the discrepancies were all cosmetic rather than anything else.

Thank you for that information.
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users