ReZourceman

Best and Worst 2008

My favourite set was 8635 the Agents Truck/Operations Base thing.

I loved the sleek look, the hidden compartments, the cool design, the playability and the minifigures. And the size. Was an absolute joy to build.

8635-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

My least favourite set was 7674 V19 Torrent.

God it was awful. The design looked unfinished, the wing mechanism simply didn't work and wasn't strong enough, you got 1 minifigure, it was ugly. Difficult to even leave stationary. Ugly set. Not fun to build.

2008_ToyAward_Kandidat_LEGO_Star_Wars_V-19_Torrent_450p.jpg

What were yours? :thumbup::classic:

I thought the V19 was actually decent.

The design looked unfinished,

i'll give you that, but loads of Sw sets looks unfinished.

the wing mechanism simply didn't work and wasn't strong enough,

must be yours, mine still works and not collapsed.

you got 1 minifigure,

Its a 1 manned, astromech less starfighter, what do you expect?

Not fun to build.

give you that technic annoyed me loads.

Favorite was probably 7676 Republic Gunship, very strong, lots of new figures and loads of play features. It also looks better than the original one.

tbt_0326_lego_star_wars_7676.jpg

Least favourite was the 7672 Rouge shadow. Its a very ugly ship for a game that wasn't out for another 7 months after its release, its also has no interior, too many flickfire missile things, 2 long rifles for no reason and the landing gear doesn't work. Liked the figs though.

lego-7672-1.jpg

Its a 1 manned, astromech less starfighter, what do you expect?

For £50? More than one figure to be honest.

Republic Gunship was awesome. Also love the look of the mini figs from Rogue Shadow, but I havn't picked it up. Too pricey for me.

My favorite was Green Grocer. I think it is the most architectuarly beautiful set that LEGO has ever made. It was also a great parts/price value and a really fun build.

10185-1.jpg

I can't say that I have a least favorite set from this year. TLG did loose my interest in star wars with some of it's clone wars offerings though.

Edited by Eilif

There was too much good stuff to pick one set for the whole year... I could probably pick one set per theme :wink:

The top three would probably include Green Grocer, the Agents Volcano Base and the Republic Gunship.

Out of the stuff that I bought (I don't think it's fair to judge something if you're not interested in a theme, eg Duplo or Bionicle, or if you haven't built it) this was easily the worst set for me:

7884-1.jpg

Yes, the minifigs were good but the vehicles themselves were appallingly designed and ugly, more a random mish-mash of parts than a decent set. Mr Freeze's go-kart thing was like a bad Racers promo given away in supermarkets. The Bat Buggy was both a bad part assortment and strangely proportioned, with a mish-mash of blue, yellow and that awful Bionicle flame :cry_sad: This was the only set this year that I disassembled as soon as I built it and consigned to the parts bin. No redeeming qualities.

Edited by svelte_corps

I have to agree with the Agents set. I bought it on holiday and when I got home spent a nice long afternoon building it and playing (the only minor problem was the dead batteries in the light brick) The features and its compact-but-bursting with-stuff-ness is brilliant and the high minifig count is excellent.

I think the worst set was Speed Racer: Cruncher Block and Racer X

8160-1.jpg

Although Racer X's car is very cool and a great design, plus five minifigs at a set price that worked out as £5 a figure it is a bit of a bad truck. The cab is too small really however cool it looks but the trailer is abysmal. I bought it for X and the no9, and the fact that I wanted all the Speed Racer lego. It has provided many cool parts however.

I suppose buying after the Agents truck was a bad idea...

My favorite was the Creator Beach House. Great set, and great value. :thumbup:

creator_house_08.jpg

Favorite was definitely the Republic Attack Gunship, a great remake of a great set

tbt_0326_lego_star_wars_7676.jpg

Lease favorite was without doubt the the Lego Star Wars At-AP , Yes I know it was not exactly the most hated but to me it was a let down. An open bottom? definitely a major design flaw, and the 3 legged thing did seem a bit odd (why would a 3rd leg be needed to retract anyway?), to me the whole set was odd and they were scraping the bottom of the Walker Barrel, hopefully better walkers are to come (I am actually a fan of the new battle pack Walkers, better I think)

lego-AT-AP-Walker.jpg

Edited by Matteo Kenobi

It made with just a few days to spare, but my favorite 2008 set is the Medieval Market Village:

10193-1.jpg

But, if you want to get technical about release dates, I'll go with Green Grocer.

Edited by UsernameMDM

Green Grocer was my favourite

The whole Batman theme in general was atrocious, I wish they'd take a different approach to the theme like indy and star wars and do more realistic takes on the Batman vehicles from the movies (mainly burton's and nolan's films) All the crazy contraptions they make up just doesn't fit with any of the batman franchises (movie, tv or comic)

At least give us a dedicated "movie" themed batman line for those who want it

Least favourite was the 7672 Rouge shadow. Its a very ugly ship for a game that wasn't out for another 7 months after its release, its also has no interior, too many flickfire missile things, 2 long rifles for no reason and the landing gear doesn't work. Liked the figs though.

lego-7672-1.jpg

I quite liked the Rogue Shadow, a funky little machine. And the lading gear on mine worked just fine, and tucked up for flight.

My fav of the year was the Republic Gunship, I guess. I got a lot of 2007 sets too, which I liked a bit better. Rogue Shadow might be #3 for me.

Definite least favorite was the Droid Gunship. A flat, dull ship. People complain on this site about empty interiors, well this had no interior. Just a disc and a tiny cockpit. Disappointing. Halfire and Spider Droid disappointed too.

7678-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

My favorite was the 10193 Medieval Market Village by far.

10193-1.jpg

My least favorite was 7884 Batman's Buggy: The Escape of Mr. Freeze.

7884-1.jpg

My favorite set in 2008 was the Shanghai Chase! You CAN'T go wrong with Lego Willie, Short Round, Indy in Tux, and YAKUZA!!!

7682-1.jpg

My least favorite set... well, I thought the Separatist Spider Droid was pretty lame, didn't anyone else?

7681-1.jpg

Green Grocer was the set released in 2008 I liked most. As for the set I disliked most, I can't tell you which one it was. I don't regularly check the sets of themes I don't like anyway.

My favorite set in 2008 was the Shanghai Chase! You CAN'T go wrong with Lego Willie, Short Round, Indy in Tux, and YAKUZA!!!

My least favorite set... well, I thought the Separatist Spider Droid was pretty lame, didn't anyone else?

Technically, the Shanghai set is 2009. :sceptic:

But the Spider Droid was another one of my favorites. Sure it was pricey, but it was a unique build, and was the cheapest set with clone troopers, including the awesome Commander Fox :wub:. Besides, you can't go wrong with more battle droids.

Technically, the Shanghai set is 2009. :sceptic:

But I bought that set at the start of December, so isn't it really 2008...?

But I bought that set at the start of December, so isn't it really 2008...?

No. Sets of the following year are often released in late December of the current year, but are still considered part of the first wave of the new year. :wink:

My favorite set of the year is undoubtedly the 10188 Death Star Playset. Just look at it! TLG gave the fans everything they ever wanted in a DS set, plus much, much more. So many features, and many authentic touches from the movie that would really bring one back to the "good ol' days". Really a spectacular set. If I had the money, I would get it right away. :thumbup:

The worst set is a little harder to determine. 2008 was another great year for Lego, despite many complaints. The worst, if I had to choose, would be that Speed Racer truck set. Since when were trucks open like that?

In my opinion the best set of 2008 is the 7676 Republic Gunship. :thumbup:

As it does include some great figs which are exclusive to this set( like Cody and Plo Koon) and because the overall design is plain awesome and an improvement from the old RGS.

The worst set is in my opinion the 10188 Death Star Playset.

I know it includes many exclusive figs and so on, but the Death Star itself is just a pile of rooms, with some of the being useless or nearly empty, without a hull. Also there´s not really a reason to include 3 Lukes.

And last but not least it was horribly overpriced in Germany. :sick:

if we are talking exclusives then the best is Green Grocer

otherwise i really loved this one

7644-1.jpg

i think it made the whole mars mission worth while.

the worst has to be the agents!

maybe not the big truck..

but i really hated this one

8632-1.jpg

My favorite was the Creator Beach House. Great set, and great value. :thumbup:

Ditto. It's one of very few sets I buy in multiples. That alone says something.

As for worst sets, I consider 5613 Firefighter as the worst of '08, as I cannot find anything in this set that has value either as a stand-alone or collectivelly together with the other sets in the theme. There's nothing special about it. And as such, everytime I saw it on the shelves, I thought; "Meh. Why bother?".

5613-1.jpg

Sticking only to the sets that I purchased...

My favorite set for 2008 would have to be the Agents Mobile Command Center. And I'll echo the sentiments of many others on these boards; it's simply a well-designed large set with so many features and tons of play value that it took me several hours to complete the model as I fiddled with all the buttons, doors, missiles, and vehicles. Look upon its splendor and gaze in awestruck wonder.

8635-1.jpg

My least favorite set for 2008 is the Dwarves' Mine Defender. This was a set I bought out of obligation to complete the Castle collection, after putting off the purchase for several months. I didn't really like the model concept. It's a catapult with spinning blades -- aren't catapults usually far from the front lines where spinning blades serve no purpose? Also, how is it propelled into the fray? Is it just pushed downhill, flinging boulders into the air, dooming the pilot to a bloody death at the base of the mountain? Even if you can accept that this is a fantasy model and that dwarves might have catapults with spinning blades, the spinning blades do not even work very well. Sure you get another Dwarf in a cheap set, but that wasn't enough to make me like this set. Meh.

7040-1.jpg

Best set of 2008 that I bought - Indiana Jones, the Race for stolen treasure, or the Green Grocer

Worst set... 6192: Pirate Building Set, or Xlarge grey baseplate :tongue:

Well, in my opinion 2008 was a year for both surprises and dissapointments :tongue: . The SW line is the best example to explain this situation. I collect just SW and I think everything is cool but I admit I really, really like the AMCC but even with that it isn´t my favorite :thumbup: . So my favorite set is the....

7672 ROGUE SHADOW :cry_happy: !!!!

In my opinion is a very underrated set :cry_sad: . I think is the most swooshable ship I ever carried in a long, long time :cry_happy: . The ship is extremely strong and the whole design is superb (I really like the uniqueness of this ship and the different wing gives it an unrepetitive build. The color scheme is great also. Then the minifigs are just amazingly beautiful :thumbup: . The Vader´s Apprentice is my favorite 2008 minifig cause he is just awesome (Amazing torso, amazing detail, amazing minifig :tongue: ), then the Battle Damanged Darth Vader and I need to said that it is a just plain awesome minifig (Exceptional detail and my second favorite minifig of the year) and finally is that lovely Juno Eclipse minifig, with the lack of female SW minifigs this is a really good one, well done TLC. And finally but less important maybe is the fact that is maybe the most near thing to an OT set this year (I know the 10188 but it is just so way expensive).

The 7679 Republic Fighter Tank is my second favorite :cry_happy: .

My least favorite set of this year must be the...

7884 Batman's Buggy: The Escape of Mr. Freeze :thumbdown:

NOO!!! My eyes they are burning by the ugliness of the set :grin::laugh: . C´mon TLC this is just a a plain ugly bag of crap :grin: . The whole set is a trash throw in a lego box. The minifigs are passables but not all that exciting. Then the buggy is ugly designed and looks bad. The Mr. Freeze vehicle is very ugly too and the pieces aren´t that exciting. Just an ugly set :sick: .

Best in 2008:

1 st: WOW, absolutely the 7676 RGS. no doubt, a dream for every SW fans who missed the previous one in the past !

even if someone who r not a starwar fans should considered this one.

the design is even greater than the previous one.

there just too many details and fun functions you can play with...

Awesome minifigs, bla bla bla..

but i have to say the design of exit part (the back of the RGS) for the speeder is too lazy and improvement is needed!

2nd: Hard to choose, really hard. ATTE might be, design is very well planned, also it is customer friendly (the handle, although someone might be think that is crap), part is not going to fall off easily. figure is good. playability is good.

but the armor of the ATTE need to improve by putting more plate to it to cover the holes. I can SEE the INTERIOR!

3 rd: Indy's tresure chase, i have to admit the truck is really awesome! but poor in playability. so i thought it might be come to the third place.

Here we come! the WORST!!! 2008's worst set should be:

1 st: ABSOLUTELY the SPEED RACER's TRUCK! WT#%@...was that thing! are those guys (i dont mean TLG, i mean the boss of the truck, just by imagine...) stupid , drive a truck without any cover for the control center, poorly built, really poor and fragile. Look at the guns under beneath the truck, r u sure it is a gun things...looooks like they got some financial problem...armed their truck like that. Also that set is seriously rely on sticker! very heavy! and that make the worst licensed set in 2008.

2 nd: well , no doubt, should be the batman and Mr Freeze cart! poorly design and too pricy! i thought those who buy are those who want a new version batman and Mr Freeze in a relatively low price. Also that fire like bionicle piece makes me suffer! "WHAT I CAN DO WITH THAT BRICK!!! ". The reason why it is not the worst, because at least this set is not seriously rely on sticker, and this is just a small set.

3 rd: Very tough, very though, quite hard to choose. so i just left it blank.