CopMike

The LEGO House design revealed!

Following up on this topic about The LEGO House we now know more. Some of the staff here knew some more before as could be figured out from this post in the LEGO Community Team Blog :wink: !

From the press release:

When the LEGO House opens in 2016 visitors to the house in Billund, Denmark will enter a building that resembles gigantic LEGO bricks combined and stacked in a creative way to create an imaginative experience both outside and inside. In the experience center guests can expect hours full of active fun while at the same time engaging in an educational and inspirational experience – everything that LEGO play offers.

Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen, LEGO owner, explains:

“The LEGO House will show the past, present and future of the LEGO idea and I am certain it will be a fantastic place, where LEGO fans of all ages and their families and friends will get a wide range of unique LEGO experiences. It is our belief that LEGO play fosters innovative thinking, and the LEGO House gives us an opportunity to make it very tangible what LEGO play offers and how it stimulates children’s creativity and learning.”

The project has been under way for more than a year and today the design of the house was revealed.

“Architect firm BIG (Bjarke Ingels Group) has designed a building that encapsulates what LEGO play and LEGO values are all about”, says Hans Peter Folmann, Marketing responsible for the LEGO House and adds:

“The creative use of the LEGO brick shape is a true visualization of the systematic creativity that is at the core of LEGO play, so we believe that this is the right look for the LEGO House. And it simply looks amazing.”

You can see an early concept video of the LEGO House here. The interior of the building has not been designed yet and will look very different from what can be seen in the video.

[/url]
The LEGO House will be approximately 30 meters tall, and there will be public access to several roof-top gardens from the outside. The building will offer visitors a total of 7,600 square meters of exhibition areas, a café, a unique LEGO store and a large public square.

“It is our wish that the LEGO House is used by both visitors and the citizens of Billund; the birthplace and home town of the LEGO Group. For this reason a large part of the building – 1,900 square meters - will be a covered square with free access for the public, and we hope it will be a natural gathering point for people living in Billund as well as visitors. We do not know what specific activities will be in the house,” says Hans Peter Folmann and adds:

“We are very ambitious with the LEGO House – It is our hope and mission that a visit to the LEGO House will be an experience you will never forget, no matter if you are a long time fan or just want to know more about what LEGO play stands for.”

Construction of the building is expected to begin in early 2014 and the LEGO House will be inaugurated in 2016.

The LEGO House…

∙ Will cover an area of 80 by 100 meters and it will be approximately 30 meters tall.

∙ Will feature a total of 7,600 square meters – including exhibition areas, a café, a LEGO store and a public square.

∙ Will be built at the center of the town of Billund, and many entrances will open up the building to the surrounding area.

∙ will be built in collaboration between KIRKBI A/S, the LEGO Foundation and the LEGO Group, but the LEGO Group will handle the daily operation of the LEGO House once finished.

Further information:

Roar Rude Trangbæk, LEGO Group Press officer

Tlf: +45 7950 4348

RRT@LEGO.com

Looks like it is going to be amazing!

Wow, seems awesome ! I want to go there, I want to go there ! :cry_happy:

:cry_happy: . It's.... BEAUTIFUL!

A museum at the bottom? That's smart. The entire design is just... Mindblowing. Well this IS the future :wub: .

Wowee! That sure looks ambitious, but I bet it'll just look swell when finished. :wub:

Wow! BIG are doing such a great creation. I cannot wait to go there. I'm waiting for construction pictures. I do believe this store will be THE Lego store and that museum at the bottom... so cool! :wub:

Okay, that's awesome. I can't wait to see it in real life! :wub:

Look at the sweater on the guy at 1:04. I will be sorely disappointed if that never becomes a minifig torso.

This building looks like an excellent example of contemporary architecture, and I think the plaza and open square in the middle are excellent ideas. I can't wait to see what it looks like. Hopefully I will be financially able to get to Denmark for the opening, so I guess I'm crossing my fingers for its opening to be postponed until 2025.

I wish I lived in Europe!! I'll probably never get to see it in real life :cry_sad: looks like it's going to be amazing tho!!

OK, looks like a nice building. So it will have a cafe, a kitchen, LEGO store, Admin, Ticket office etc and so on. But what is it actually going to be about? Looking at the video, it looks like a nice design and OK so it's going to be a building open to the public, but the video was a little lacking on what it will actual be about. What is the purpose of this building, is it a LEGO Museum open to the public, or is it a LEGO HQ that will happen to have a store attached to it, or is it going to be a design studio that will be able to take forward concepts for future sets whilst having every set thus far produced (Or as far as possible.) held in a vault that will have guided tours? It just seems a lot of building, but whilst it looks great the concept seems a tad wishy-washy at the moment as though they have not exactly worked out what it is supposed to be for? Maybe it is because I do not understand the language that the singing was in, perhaps the song explained it all(?) or maybe I just missed the point? But from what I get it is nothing that is not available now, it will just be a new setting for them to house there vault coupled with a new store, childrens play area and cafe. All nice and good, hopefully one day i will be able to visit it, but I would kind of hope for a bit more than that really.

Wow, nice project!

I really like the style of the presentation, especially the first part. Map -> a Lego baseplate -> placing all the spaces on the baseplate -> the building.

It's also a typical BIG building, a recognized it from the picture on the frontpage. Nice that they intergrated their other Lego project as a sunterrace in this design.

I also really like (in what I thinks is) the basement, with the display of (all?) Lego products that are released in the past.

It looks like an exciting project. Judging by the use of Nathan Sawaya's works in the video, it looks like there might be an exhibition space for artists working with Lego? I wonder if an Architecture set will be made for this building?

Hey! Nice looking building!

It's nice that it has a public space that anyone can use for free. Hopefully they'll come up with something to put in there to give people a reason to use it.

However, Huw over at Brickset says that the towns only pub was formerly at the site and has been raised. :cry2: It seems like a price too high to be paid to me. :drunk:

Joe

Absolutely stunning. I can see this turning into a big trip for the family.

I hope they rebuild some of the since dismantled display cases that showcased the LEGO product over the years at the former IDEA HOUSE. This was the first one... of 1949-55. They took out the contents, and put them back into the warehouse archives.... :sceptic:

7545292948_57793d510c_b_d.jpg

I like the maze :-)

plus it looks like they might be putting some of their archive sets on display in the museum, maybe it will be a way for us to see them without having to pay for a full tour and vault visit.