Sign in to follow this  
Brickthing

Contest! Hero or Monster Contest

heroofmonster500.png

Welcome to the second Action Figure forum contest, as part of Hero Factory month 2013!

This year the heroes of Makuhero City have had to deal with the bug-like brains, who captured and mutated harmless creatures in order to carry out their purpose of destroying Hero Factory. From harmless rock monsters to mighty dragons, all forms of creatures were taken hold of, but what would it look like if a Hero was captured and subjected to the same transformation?

Categories

Hero or Monster:

• Build a Hero that has been taken over by a Brain parasite and show how that infection has influenced them.
  • The mutations can be extreme as you'd like, but they must still be recognizable as a Hero.
  • The mutations do need to be more severe than Surge's brief infection during the Hero Factory show. (Image courtesy of HFsector01)
  • There must be some form of Brain slug on the Hero, but it can be brick built as an alternative to the actual Brain parasite piece if you'd prefer.
  • Entry should be shorter than 30cm/12 inches.
  • To enter, make a new topic for your MOC in the Action Figure forum with the prefix "HoM:"

Before and After Brain Infection:

• Build 2 MOCs displaying an alien creature before and after infection from a Brain parasite.
  • The 2 forms must be recognizable as the same creature, so don't get too carried away with the mutations
  • There must be some form of Brain slug on the alien, but it can be brick built as an alternative to the actual Brain parasite piece if you'd prefer.
  • To enter, make a new topic for your MOC in the Action Figure forum with the prefix "B/A:"

Digital Hero:

• Use computer aided means to create your own Hero. Entries can be created using LDD and POV-ray, other 3D programs, GIMP/image editing programs, etc.
  • Designing new pieces and recoloured parts is encouraged, but not required.
  • The Hero must be recognizable as a Hero, so should be reasonably humanoid and include a Hero core.
  • Entries do not need to be photorealistic, but should look like they could be built in real life, aside from new and recoloured pieces.
  • Entries should be presented on a plain/simple background, since the focus in on the Hero.
  • To enter, make a new topic for your MOC in the Action Figure forum with the prefix "DH:"
  • An example image. (Which would be disqualified for not being a Hero)

General Rules

• Only one entry per member per category.
  • Only official LEGO elements can be used, excluding minifigs considering the scale that entries should be at.
  • "Real" entries only for Categories 1 and 2. For category 3, the entries must be digital, although the choice of which programs(s) to use is up to each entrant
  • There are no restrictions on ratios between SYSTEM/BIONICLE pieces, but the entry must visually fit in with official Hero Factory style and scale, so using primarily Hero Factory/BIONICLE pieces is recommended.
  • Entries must have one deep-linked picture posted in the entry topic with a maximum resolution of 800x600, and an optional link to a topic with additional images if wanted.
  • Entries must be posted by midnight of the 9th of July. Voting will then occur in the week that follows.

Contest ends at midnight of the 9th of July 2013!

• Entries posted after the deadline will be disqualified.
  • Entries that do not meet all the requirements by the deadline will be disqualified.
  • Whether an entry meets the requirements will be at the discretion of the contest host, but entrants will be notified if their entry does not meet the requirements.
  • All entries can be altered/changed as many times as each entrant wishes up until the contest deadline.
  • Shortly after the contest closes, a voting topic will be made for the qualifying entries.
  • Comments and suggestions on entries are more than welcome, and may result in participation prizes. :wink:

Prizes

Category 1 - Monstrous Hero:

• 1st Place: Choice of Signed/Unsigned 44014 Jet Rocka + 44008 Surge + 44012 Evo + Hero Factory Tag
  • 2nd Place: 44014 Jet Rocka + 44008 Surge + 44012 Evo

Category 2 - Before and After Brain Infection:

• 1st Place: Choice of Signed/Unsigned 44009 Dragon Bolt + 44011 Frost Beast + 44013 Aquagon + Hero Factory Tag
  • 2nd Place: 44009 Dragon Bolt + 44011 Frost Beast + 44013 Aquagon

Category 3 - Digital Hero:

• 1st Place: Choice of Signed/Unsigned 44010 Stormer + Hero Factory Tag
  • 2nd Place: 44010 Stormer

If you have any questions or need clarifications, ask them here. Otherwise, get building!

Edited by Brickthing

Wow! I'm really glad that Constraction figures are getting some love. It looks like this is going to be a fun month!

Could a accessory on said creation be taller than the figure itself?

Within reason yes, but the focus should be on the figure.

if we use LDD, did we must render it using LDD to pov-ray? and for digital hero, are there no piece count limit?

Do the MOC's have to contain HF parts? Because I don't have any HF sets, but a lot of Bionicle, and I'd like to try myself in Before and After category.

Sounds promising! I don't have that much HF sets, and no brain slugs, but I still belive I could throw something together!

• Build 2 MOCs displaying an alien creature before and after infection from a Brain parasite.
  • The 2 forms must be recognizable as the same creature, so don't get too carried away with the mutations
  • There must be some form of Brain slug on the Hero, but it can be brick built as an alternative to the actual Brain parasite piece if you'd prefer.
  • To enter, make a new topic for your MOC in the Action Figure forum with the prefix "B/A:"

Wait wait, should there be "alien" instead of "hero"? Just to make things more clear!

Wow, sounds extremely exciting ! :cry_happy:Can we enter the three categories, or do we have to choose only one ?

EDIT : I think this answer my question.

Only one entry per member per category.
Edited by Leewan

In the before and after contest, does the "alien creature" have to be a brain attack villain? For the Hero contest, does the hero have to exist already?

For the Hero contest, does the hero have to exist already?

I hope that isn't the case or else it'll ruin my almost finalized entry D:

This is going to be fun. I'm thinking of entering the "Hero or Monster" contest, using the brain from the LEGO store promotion. Nice artwork, by the way.

Edited by DraikNova

Do the MOC's have to contain HF parts? Because I don't have any HF sets, but a lot of Bionicle, and I'd like to try myself in Before and After category.

Same thing and same question. :|

For the Hero contest, does the hero have to exist already?

Ye, important question! Or it's okay to create own infected hero?

I'd suspect that making your own Hero or Villain is allowed... it'd be frustratingly restricting otherwise

Does the brain slug have to be on the mocs head or can it be placed on the back arms or in the chest or something. Just asking cos the brain slug pieces look diificult to combine with hero factory helmets.

if we use LDD, did we must render it using LDD to pov-ray? and for digital hero, are there no piece count limit?

You don't have to use POV-ray to render it, but making your Hero look as good as possible will be important for the voting stage. It depends on the style/look you'd like to achieve, because LDD's highest shading settings with lines look great for Hero diagrams/plans.

There's no limit on the piece count, but try to keep the Hero at a realistic size for a Hero.

No HF pieces are needed, although they are recommended. System bricks can often work well as a substitute for the clean HF armour plating, but feel free to go completely BIONICLE as well. :classic:

Wait wait, should there be "alien" instead of "hero"? Just to make things more clear!

Good catch. :blush:

In the before and after contest, does the "alien creature" have to be a brain attack villain? For the Hero contest, does the hero have to exist already?

Being a Brain Attack villain seems to be the consequence of being infected by a brain parasite, but your creature could be situated anywhere around the galaxy, not just attacking Makuhero city. For all categories, I hope to see mostly original creatures and heroes, although revamping existing characters is also allowed.

Cool! Except for the height restriction. :sceptic:

The height restriction is fairly loose, but it's there to keep the entries at a realistic scale for a Hero. If an entry goes slightly over the height limit but still distinctly looks like a (monster) Hero than that shouldn't be a problem.

Does the brain slug have to be on the mocs head or can it be placed on the back arms or in the chest or something. Just asking cos the brain slug pieces look diificult to combine with hero factory helmets.

They don't have to be on the head, but brain parasites do their thing by connecting to the brain. They could still achieve that by extending neural tubes to the head though, not unlike Bane's Venom tubes.

I posted my entry, but I suppose the entry topic is not up yet? Also, as we should post a <800x600 entry pic to the entry topic, should it have both pre-mutation and mutanted alien?

My entry in the infected hero category, Hector Steelson XL:

entry.jpg

And his topic

here!

Edited by WARHEAD

I have a question for the before and after infection. Can the before be an already existing set. I want to do Thornraxx infected by a Brain

Edited by Takanuinuva