Hello all,

My 6 year old has abandoned all Lego other than his Minecraft sets, and for that matter most all other activities except console gaming when given the choice of free time. So to encourage time away form the screen and more actual imaginative play, I have built as faithfully as I can the Desert temple from MInecraft Game. This is a play set, not a model. The focus needs to be playability so, as the real sets show compromise, some have been made here, but I have tried very hard to conceal them. Eagle eyed gamer's familiar with the temple may notice some, but I am happy with the results so far. There may be more done to this MOC, is any build ever finished? but for now my son is enjoying adventuring into the temple, especially in a darkened room using torches to light the corridors or different rooms.

The MOC. I do have some LDD files on this, but they are evolving and the final product has corrections and definitely simplifications that are not in my digital plan. There is approximately 1500 pieces,of which nearly 400 are 2 x 2 tiles alone! there are some of the jumper tiles scattered throughout to allow for simple minifig or torch placement.

The building is sort of a pyramid design with some towers, an entrance and side entrances. There are 2 levels, and a set of corridors. Inside the main floor chamber are portico's and sub chambers (this is where some compromise was made.

Using Lego as a medium for Minecraft at first might seem like a very logical and simple application. Wrong. The game is really essentially based on cubes (easy to render, computer to draw, build, etc) allowing for complicated world design at the expense of that real world appearance. Lego is not a cube. It is square at the base on a 2 x 2, but requires 1,5 layers of tile to make it a cube. So suddenly it becomes complicated with structures. A door is a good example, in the Game a door is 1 cube wide and 2 cubes high. Well in Lego (using a 2 x 2 brick as a start for a cube) we need two Lego cubes wide, and at least 5 cubes high to make a door for a minifig to fit in. A more accurate Lego "cube would be a 3 x 3 x 2.33. As you grow the cube in Lego in any direction to accommodate a minifig, the design must also grow in the other axis as well.

With that in mind, here is my interpretation of the desert temple.

I hope you enjoy, a Video of it opening will be available shortly.

Adam

IMG_8928.jpgIMG_8931.jpgIMG_8939.jpgIMG_8942.jpgIMG_8947.jpgIMG_8954.jpgIMG_8958.jpgIMG_8962.jpgIMG_8965.jpgIMG_8966.jpgIMG_8973.jpgIMG_8977.jpgIMG_8980.jpginterior1.jpg

Desert_Temple.png

Edited by Adamskii

Very sleek design with an amazing job on getting all the sections to open up so smoothly. Looks great!

I'm hardly a fan of Minecraft so I don't know what this is supposed to be apart from the screenshot you gave, bu tit looks really clean and a faithful recreation of the prototype. Also, you've done a great job making the temple playable, and I'm sure that means a lot to your kid. Good job.

Super playability! I have the same screen problem at home. But your moc gave ideas to my son. He wants we make one like that.

Thanks for the idea

That's a fantastic representation of the Desert Temple, and a wonderful build in its own right. Every detail that could be captured without using a printed tile is present. It looks awesome, and I only hope that LEGO has as much dedication to the source material should they ever choose to make a similar set.

Great job!

Wow. Very nice work. The play areas that can be opened up are excellent. Combining play-ability with being true to the original design is tricky business but you have done an excellent job.

Time to dig down through the blue brick. :)

Edited by DungeonsAndFlagons