Hello everyone

It’s good to have some spare time but better that sitting on the couch is to present one of my last MOCs – Front Loaded Garbage Truck.

dsc_0096.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0099.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0125.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0100.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0102.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0122.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0121.jpg_thumb.jpg

The truck was made almost three months ago (but I done it from scratch in 8 days!) for our local LUG contest. The goal was to made something up to 2000 pieces and maximum of 4 engines.

I thought that front loaded garbage truck could be a nice playable model and I haven’t seen much of them made from Lego. The truck of course fit to rules so it has a four remote functions like:

- driving and steering

- lifting arms

- moving front forks

In addition to electric functions there are two pneumatic (with manual pump) – dumping the whole body and opening tailgate.

If you want more accurate specification:

Weight: 1700g

Dimensions: 19 studs wide, 22 studs high, 53 studs long (15.2x17.6x42.4cm)

Parts: almost 1900

The truck is designed to emptying big waste bins. Whole process don’t take much time. Lifting functions are motorized so you don’t have to even touch a truck to dump wastes into body.

dsc_0103i0104.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0127.jpg_thumb.jpg

Lifting the arms are operated by L motor connected to two big linear actuators. For moving forks I used a M motor and built a long shaft through arm to connect small LA’s. Each small linear actuator is driven by 6 universal joints. Maybe it don’t sound good but I have to say that everything works fast and fine.

dsc_0105.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0107.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0108.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0112.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0113.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0114.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0106.jpg_thumb.jpg

First you have to do is drive up to waste bin. Then lift it above body using arms. Meanwhile flap mounted on top of body opens itself and then you roll over waste bin with front forks. When bin is empty simply lower arms and put it onto ground.

For driving I used XL motor with total gear reduction 1:1.4 That ratio gives you an opportunity to push truck by hand (and engine will turn). Steering is simply operated by PF Servo.

As I said at the beginning there are two pneumatic functions. For opening tailgate I used one small pneumatic cylinder and for lifting body – two big cylinders. Lowering body and tailgate is done by gravity – there is no need to use air pressure.

dsc_0116.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0119.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0117.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0120.jpg_thumb.jpg

For more playability I made two waste bins – green and red. Maybe this is not a masterpiece but it had to be light.

dsc_0124.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0126.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0129.jpg_thumb.jpg

So what say more? I think that movie will say everything that possibly I forgot to write :)

Great garbage truck and very well presented. Love the use of LA's and pneumatics.

H :thumbup:

Aesthetics, functions, design....this is wat MOC-ing is all about. Excellent work!!

I like the fact you combined LA's and Pneumatics in a great way.

Nice presentation indeed. Great photos!

couldn't say it better than Jim - way cool and brilliant MOC in all criterias.... best garbage truck until now and IMHO a HoF candidate

BTW: this is a very senseful combination of LAs and Pneumatic (e.g. 42008 is a very unsenseful combinbation.... )

I like it a lot :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Standard question: Any chance for BI?

A very colorful and a good working model! Interesting use of manual and motorized functions too!

Edited by Zblj

A very nice MOC.

I finished building this truck last week, using the pictures and video I found on brickshelf and youtube. That was quite a challenge. In the process of building I made and lxf file from the chassis to help me "solving the puzzle" :-).

Now I am trying to remake the model in MLCad, but I just began.

Greetz,

Robert

Just completely amazing!!! Excellent work on fitting every thing in there!

It's nice to hear that you like it. For colour scheme - I regret that Lego doesn't make 1x3x11 curved panels in green colour. So the body looks dappled but I had no choice. My goal was to make a garbage truck that almost don't need our help to do his work. My first idea was to do that even tailgate and body will be moving remotely by engines but rules of contest limited me up to 4 engines. So the choice fell on pneumatics.

@Kumbbl: I usually don't make instructions for my models because this process takes much more time than building from real bricks. It's better to start building something new that I can show up instead of sitting in front of computer for about month making an instruction :tongue:. Second reason is that when you decide to make instruction for others you have to be sure that everything in your construction is made well, and don't have weak points. I can't say that truck made in 8 days meets this conditions...

@robert: It's nice to hear that you took a challenge to make it in virtual world. Could you post here your file? Maybe I can make some fixes to your creation :classic: ?

Hi,

It's a bit of an old topic, however...this summer someone noticed that I build this model using the pictures and video posted bij Waler. And asked me if I could help recreating this very nice MOC.

i took the challenge and rebuild the MOC again, this time using the build to improve my LDCad skills. Here's the result. Now I'm fighting LPUB to create instructions :-).

Garbage Truck small.jpg

I am indeed working with LPUB3d, sorry for mentioning LPUB where i meant LPUB3d.

Hi,

Just bumping this thread again. As mentioned earlier in this thread i reverse engineered this awesome MOC by Waler. Some time has passed and I managed to create PDF instructions. The main reason I did this is that I like the puzzle of reverse engineering and that I want to improve on my digital building skills.

I uploaded the instructions to my bricksafe page (front loaded garbage truck): https://www.bricksafe.com/pages/RobertGeurts/Instructions

First of all, this is not my MOC! Credits to the original creator, Waler, and thanks for posting pictures and a video. Furthermore, I rebuild the model myself using (in some places) different colors because I don't have all the parts in this MOC, especially the green panels. I apologize for any mistakes and I do not guarantee a perfect product :-).

I want to share the instructions. Mainly because I really appreciate all the builders here sharing their work and giving me the opportunity to enjoy building beautifull and complex models.

Everyone who wants to give it a try, happy building!

Robert

Thank you very much! I have looked at this truck few times and wondered if I can reverse engeneer it from the pictures. The instructions looks perfect. Would you share the digital file as well? I would like to see how you made the tubing/wiring in lsynth. Thank you

On 7-1-2018 at 12:07 PM, anatem said:

Thanks for instructions, this is a cool model.

You're welcome. It's good to see new replica's :-).

Hi, thank you for the wonderful instruction. I want to build the set, can you kindly tell me what are the lengths of the blue pneumatic hoses? Thank you.

Hi, has anyone built this wonderful truck? I want to build it but can anyone kindly tell me the different lengths of the blue pneumatic tubes? Much appreciated.