Disco86

MEC Category A: Battle of Osgiliath

This is my entry to the "Missing Set" category. Everbody wanted a third wave of LotR sets with some Gondor soldiers, so I choose Osgiliath so that we can get Gondor rangers and soldiers. Also having a Faramir minifig seems to be very important for me. The build is inspired by the techniques of the Dol Guldur sets. My aim was to make it look like ruins, while it is still sturdy, playable and matching the real sets. The figures and shields are made with photoshop.

Setname: 79021 Battle of Osgiliath

Parts: 718

Minfigs: 8

Price: 89,99 $ / 99,99 €

The set is now available at Lego Ideas, I would be really happy if you support me, thanks !

15427814427_84695c65e1_b.jpg

15541181406_251065bc13_b.jpg

15378271589_6785199f4a_b.jpg

15427703058_586b95fdfe_b.jpg

15565728272_e8d59e08db_b.jpg

15564893475_2e78f3bbe3_b.jpg

Thanks for hosting this great contest, I love everything from Middleearth. And good luck to the other contestants !

legoideas.jpg

Edited by Disco86

Very cool build! The modular system is used in a lot of sets lately and it's a nice feuture. The play feutures are also nicely presented and the minifigs are stunning. This really is the one set that was missing in the official line the most and your entry just screams official LEGO set all around. Maybe there's only too many minifigs. Though this is how similar army building sets should look like, I guess TLG would simply erase one Gondorian and two hunter orcs or at least make most of them bald ... The only complaint might be that there's too many places with LBG and DBG only. TLG usualy tries to make sets more colorful. Maybe dark tan plates for ground might help with that and some more wooden pieces in the ruins. But as said, great entry and good luck in the competition!

Excellent set! The minifigures with the tree on the shields and torso are awesome. I wish to have them in LEGO set to customize...

Very very nice, only bad thing is that now i am going to miss Lego LOTR even more. Hopefully the guy from other forum will make those custom gondor helmets at least.

This is great, Disco!

It is build just like a real LEGO set should be. There is a nice balance of play features and moderately complex structure.

Of course part of the reason I really like this set is that it incorporates two minifigure types that are sorely missed: rangers and Gondor soldiers.

I would love to see this as a real set. I also think it should be posted to LEGO ideas just in case we might yet get a set of this quality with the missing figures.

Brick on, Disco!

Very cool! If this were a real set, I would buy the crap out of it even though it's nearly $100. I would definitely get 5, and might even go up to 10 and BL tons more Gondor Soldiers. The only two things I would maybe change would be to add the Witch King on a Fel Beast, and make the orcs have actual armor (or armor print). Of course the WK on Fel Beast would dramatically raise an already expensive set so I suppose that could be a separate set. Regardless, I love the structures in this set as well. I could easily see several being combined to make a really nice looking ruined Osgiliath.

Whoa, when I saw this I almost had a heart attack... And then I remembered it was for the MEC challenge...

Awesome. I would be buying multiples for sure. I know this doesn't really matter, but the price seems a bit high? I would maybe price it more as a $60 set, though I guess the higher minifig count would increase the price a bit. I don't know. But really great job, makes me think of all the coolness we could have gotten with Lego LOTR. :cry_happy:

Wow that is a great feddback. Seems like my idea of a mega battlepack was the right decision, whild chossing Osgiliath was obvious :sweet:

Though this is how similar army building sets should look like, I guess TLG would simply erase one Gondorian and two hunter orcs or at least make most of them bald ... The only complaint might be that there's too many places with LBG and DBG only. TLG usualy tries to make sets more colorful. Maybe dark tan plates for ground might help with that and some more wooden pieces in the ruins.

You are right about the number if figures, TLG would add less or just bald orcs. But there are also some sets in the waves that got a lot of figures for army building, like the Mikrwood army set. And I wanted to make the set, like I would love to buy it. That is also the reason why I did not use much color. I first thought about dark tan base plates, but that would not be movie accurate. I already added blue water, torches and senseless play features that are not according to the movie, so for me it was enough. If you watch the movie, everything in that city is just grey.

Now I'm just sad, how could LEGO miss it???

I am sad too... no Gondor soldiers :cry_sad:

Post this on the Lego Ideas, you'll get lots of support.

After the enormous feedback here, I am actually thinking about it.

The only two things I would maybe change would be to add the Witch King on a Fel Beast, and make the orcs have actual armor (or armor print).

Totally agree that the orcs may wear armor. But adding the Witch King was not really possible by just using non-custom parts, so I decided not to add him. Also this should be like a luxurious version of a battle pack, so I only put in reagular troops and the only main character could easily be switched to a reagular ranger by changing his head, to make it intersting for multiple buyers.

Awesome. I would be buying multiples for sure. I know this doesn't really matter, but the price seems a bit high? I would maybe price it more as a $60 set, though I guess the higher minifig count would increase the price a bit.

Comparing this to 79014 Dol Guldur Battle we have nearly the same parts count, but there are two more minfigures in it. Also watching the official prices getting higher each year it seems to be just right in my opinion. Even if I actually would buy it just once for the full price and wait for discount to get multiples.

I have to say I never understood people clamoring for an Osgiliath set - after all, the place is just a bunch of grey ruins, not terribly exciting. But this set looks great, I'd buy it for sure. It really captures the scene very well, something that many official LotR sets failed to do. And of course, thumbs up for the superb minifigs!

Holy cow, this is such a great moc. The first photo made me thought this is really something produced by Lego.

I will definitely buy it if lego produce this set.

That is one cool build! Great job!

I would definitely buy it....maybe two. I hope LEGO still produces a third wave. (even if it's only a fool's hope.)

Perfect!!! The only thing I would consider changing is replacing one Hunter orc with that (I don't know his name) one eyed, pale, deformed face orc leader. Great work!!!