Sign in to follow this  
legofan

Lego 8426 Disney's CARS Escape at Sea Review

Hello again guys!

With my photobucket back into action, i would like to share with you guys another set from the 2011 CARS series, the 8426 Escape at Sea.

Unlike the 8487 Flo's Cafe which i really really liked alot, this set is slightly less astonishing... However, it does have the exclusive Boat though which can only be found in this set. Professor Z and Fin McMissile can also be found in 8639 Big Bentley Bust out (Not released yet), but for McMissile this set contains his multi spy gadgets like the submarine fins and propellers.

Enough of introduction, lets get on to the review proper!

1. LEGO Set No/Name

Lego 8426 Disney's CARS Escape at Sea containg 159 pieces

2. Where you got/bought it from

Online.

3. Offical Retail Price

Retail price is $40.90 in Sillypore before discounts.

4. No of Minifigs (if any), name them if you know the names

NIL! But there are even better 'figs' than minifigs here; i call them CAR-Ractors! Mainly Professor X (the main bad guy in CARS 2 movie), Fin McMissile (British secret agent) and Boat (Now who knows Boat's actual name?).

5. List of parts (if possible), especially the interesting or rare parts, please highlight them

Refer below

6. Your "building" experience - which you can do a step by step to show it with photos

Refer below:

Let's begin!

P1010804640x480.jpg

The box front cover! we gave this set an alternate name: 'Boat does not float'. In other countries, there are more set details like the set name and number of pieces (shown here), but back here in Singapore we only have 'Boat does not Float', hence the alternate name we came up with for this set

P1010805640x480.jpg

Back of the box. Flick missiles!

P1010806640x480.jpg

Let's open up the box, shall we? About 60-70% of the box is used... Not bad!

P1010807640x480.jpg

Two main bags, instructional booklet, DSS and 2 huge pieces belonging to the boat's hual. (We'll come to that later)

P1010808640x480.jpg

Let's start with the building of the CAR-Ractors!

P1010809640x480.jpg

Destroyed bag 1... Sky blue and Dark+light green pieces! Nice!

P1010810640x480.jpg

Some special pieces, mainly a magnifiying glass belonging to the professor, McMissile's face & new car bonnet piece, Professor X's face block and McMissile's Shiny cool-looking wheel hub!

P1010811640x480.jpg

Let's build Professor X first! He's a small chap...

P1010812640x480.jpg

Getting there...

P1010813640x480.jpg

Done! He's actually really cute! The magnifying glass is a great added detail!

P1010814640x480.jpg

A look at the rear ~ A cute and fancy car!

P1010816640x480.jpg

Here's how he looks like behind that magnifying glass. Mean!

P1010817640x480.jpg

Now, let's build our Favourite British Secret Agent, Fin McMissile! He's long... (No pun intended)

P1010818640x480.jpg

More on his base... Dont know what that red 2x4 tile is there for...

P1010819640x480.jpg

Added in his submarine fins & propeller!

P1010820640x480.jpg

Done! Fin McMissile ready for some sea action! He even has a hook on his side!

P1010821640x480.jpg

Here's a look at his rear with the propeller... Cool looking!

P1010822640x480.jpg

Here are the spares left after building pack 1... Strange, an additional wheel hubs?

Now, although cool looking, guess Fin McMissile is not ready for the road right? Lets do a little modification...

P1010823640x480.jpg

Remove his fins..

P1010824640x480.jpg

And install the additional wheel hub as a spare tyre! Now he's ready for the road!

P1010825640x480.jpg

Fin: Hold it RIGHT there PRofessor X!

Professor X: Where's my Escape Boat?

P1010826640x480.jpg

Now for the boat... Opening Pack 2...

P1010827640x480.jpg

Building the hual of the boat... It's rather huge! Nice idea to use the plane pieces as boat huals!

P1010828640x480.jpg

The boat is hollow inside, and the red strip you see on the hual is brick built in!

P1010829640x480.jpg

Here's the completed hual! I see alot of MOC potentials with this!

P1010830640x480.jpg

More details on the hual...

P1010831640x480.jpg

The completed boat! His so mean looking! It comes with 2 sea beacons; a nice touch!

P1010832640x480.jpg

He even has a huge search light and radar dish! Nice!

P1010833640x480.jpg

A look at the rear... There's the space where Professor X sits...

P1010834640x480.jpg

A look from the front! A mean looking ship which one would not like to encounter on the sea...

P1010835640x480.jpg

Let's test the flick missiles! Target locked on and Ready....

P1010836640x480.jpg

FIRE! Quite some firepower there!

P1010837640x480.jpg

Professor X: Goodbye Fin McMissile! Till we meet again!

P1010839640x480.jpg

The 1x6 tile fits nicely for Professor X to sit on!

P1010840640x480.jpg

Here's one final look at the set altogether!

Professor X: You can run, but you cant hide! Give it up Fin McMissile! Flick missiles fire!

Fin McMissile: You'll have to catch me first!

7. Your overall rating based on fun, playable, value for $$$, part, minifigs, etc (on a scale of 0-10 where 10 is SUPER-DUPER-SET!)

Fun 8 - Well, quite Fun. You can play talk and have fun chasing Professor X (or vice versa) and 'hooking' him to death with the included hook on Fin McMissile or 'flick missile' Fin to death with the flick missiles on the boat!

PLAYABLE 10 - DEFINATELY playable. i can foresee kids play talk and having ALOT of fun chasing and fighting it out with the goo versus bad CAR-Ractors!

VALUE FOR $$$ 7 for me - I got this at a steal, but for the US price of USD$19.90 i would say it's only an OK value set, esp coming as a Licensed Set. You dont get much CAR-Ractors and mainly only for the boat, but the boat looks OK enough for me. But for the SGD price of SGD$40.90, i would say it's rather over-priced...

FINAL VERDICT 7/10 ! - This set is only an OK set for me. Mainly got it for the boat after i saw there is another set scheduled to release in August with Professor X and Fin McMissile. But this set has all the spy equipment that Fin needs though...

8. Your name as the reviewer.

Sammy Oh

Thanks for reading! Cheers!

Great review. I think to fully appreciate these smaller sets, you have to watch the new movie.

Thanks for the nice review. But why do you call him Professor X? His name is Professor Z. Professor X is a different mastermind on wheels. :wink:

Charles_Xavier_%28Earth-11052%29.gif

Thanks for the reveiw :thumbup:

Its one of the cars sets I had my eye on, for parts if nothing else, so was hoping to see what it like

I think to fully appreciate these smaller sets, you have to watch the new movie.

I agree. As much as these new Cars characters look interesting, I don't feel any 'connection' to them yet since I haven't seen the movie. Though I have to admit McMissile looks to be a real cool character much like its brickbuilt version.

Hello!

Great review, I especially like the images of the new boat hull pieces. Although they are huge prefabricated pieces, I am looking forward to find alternate use for them. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Thanks 'legofan' for this review, another excellent Cars set with some interesting characters...hopefully in a few weeks we'll all find out who, what and why ? :blush:

Keep on burning rubber ! :grin:

Another great poisoning review! Well done Sammy. :grin:

I am still a little hesitant to pick this up as I will like to watch the movie first before getting it. Now, after seeing your review, I am quite confident to get it! Just need the movie to reinforce my buying. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the review, Sammy (darn, you beat me to it!). I hope no one minds if I add some details? (Edit: Ten hours after first posting, I have seen the film.)

Actually, the dark bley element (Peeron ID 87616, inventory ID 4569417) used for the boat's prow and stern aren't new. The date "2009" is molded, and as listed on Peeron, it's "Aircraft Fuselage Curved Aft Section 6 x 10 Bottom", also available in blue and red (although the sets in which those colors were used don't seem to have been inventoried). A handy color if you're building a military transport aircraft, I suppose.

The ship is a very poor likeness of Professor Z's hench(man? bot? boat?). But for that matter, all of the models in this line are screen-inaccurate, even more so than you'd expect given the limits of System pieces. There were a lot of compromises made, but from working with kids, I know they'll be happy with anything even vaguely recognizable. On the flip side, that gives AFOLs many MOC opportunities -- I've already given Mater better Gatling guns and jet pods.

("Professor Z" is short for "Zündaap," and the ship doesn't get a name. There are at least two in the movie, and the voice credit is simply "Combat Ship.")

Combat Ship doesn't appear on the official "Cars 2" character page), but is modeled after the USN's new Littoral Combat Ship. Here's a closeup from the tryptych movie poster, and a toy version.

Colors:

* Finn McMissile is built with ordinary 102 Medium Blue.

* Professor Z uses 151 Sand Green and one of the new hues, (what is probably) 323 Aqua (upper half).

* Holley (with an "e") Shiftwell (from set 8424 "Mater's Spy Zone") is another long-established color, either 221 Bright Purple or 124 Bright Reddish Violet. (Given the imprecision of a computer monitor, it's hard to match bricks against the official color palette posted here to Eurobricks.)

Element commonality:

Finn's eight-spoke chromed tire hubs (element ID 4616843) might be new; they're different from the five-spoke hubs that appeared in many of the sub-minifig Racer sets. They're different from the non-chromed eight-spoke five-lugnut on Holley (4621178, 208 Light Stone Grey) and Lightning (set 8200, 4613159, 21 Bright Red).

Finn uses the same roof element (4x6L) as Holley and Lightning (4622713, 4621177, 4620107, respectively) but with a different color and printing. His hood (4x3L) is also used as Holley's trunk/boot (4622712, 4621184). The same 4x2L element is used for Finn's trunk, Lightning's trunk, Mater's hood, and Z at both ends (4622708, 4613132, 4613134, and 4613348 respectively).

Edited by Phillip Thorne

Colors:

* Finn McMissile is built with ordinary 102 Medium Blue.

* Holly Shiftwell (from set 8424 "Mater's Spy Zone") is another long-established color, either 221 Bright Purple or 124 Bright Reddish Violet. (Given the imprecision of a computer monitor, it's hard to match bricks against the official color palette posted here to Eurobricks.)

* Professor Z uses 151 Sand Green (lower half) and one of the new hues, (what is probably) 323 Aqua (upper half).

Element commonality:

Finn's eight-spoke chromed tire hubs (element ID 4616843) might be new; they're different from the five-spoke hubs that appeared in many of the sub-minifig Racer sets. They're different from the non-chromed eight-spoke five-lugnut on Holly (4621178, 208 Light Stone Grey) and Lightning (set 8200, 4613159, 21 Bright Red).

Finn uses the same roof element as Holly and Lightning (4622713, 4621177, 4620107, respectively) but with a different color and printing. His hood (4622712) is also used as Holly's trunk/boot (4621184).

I can help with the colors. Holly Shiftwell is 124 Bright Reddish Violet, which Bricklink calls Magenta. 221 Bright Purple is the official name for the Dark Pink color which appears in post-2004 sets, and so doesn't actually look very purple at all. You're correctw with all the other colors.

Anyway, this set is pretty cool, although imprecise. If the back of whatshisname the boat guy was widened somehow, he might have been able to float properly, so it's disappointing that he's so inaccurate. The ability of LEGO boats to float is one of the reasons I tolerate parts other AFOLs consider <insert that tiresome argument> and frown on brickbuilt boats most of the time. At the same time, the same <insert that tiresome argument> parts that often allow LEGO boats to float do not exist in a size that would really suffice for the rear section of this guy, so perhaps brickbuilt would have been the best solution in this set.