Way harsh? Yeah it is, but don't worry there's a silver lining to this rule.
A new subforum has been created, called The Bazaar. (EBay was taken.) In there we're going to have a more relaxed area where buyers and sellers can go responsibly wild... if that makes any sense. Let me explain;
Buy, Sell, Trade and Finds new rules
- LEGO only, 100 posts to create topics and new joiners can't post.
- Topics about general selling belong here. That is, topics like regional availability and sales.
- Occasional sales topics are allowed. The general rule is once a year. The idea here is you should restrict it to incredible offers; such as an Airport Monorail.
- Bumping sales topics is 100% banned. That is if no one posts in you aren't allowed to "reply".
- You are allowed to talk about the BSTF forum.
- Same base rules; LEGO only, 100 posts to create topics and new joiners can't post.
- The old rule of sales bumping is relaxed. Bumping is still discouraged, but responsible bumping is now allowed.
- The quasi rule of too many topics is relaxed. Be responsible.
- This is an AFOL forum. You should understand what responsible posting is.
- No posts are counted in the forum. You will never be promoted again if all you do is post in The Bazaar.
- No topics in the forum will appear in Active Topics or New Posts.
Anyone who breaks the rules of the BSTF forum will have all their recent sales topics moved to The Bazaar and repeat offenders will be banned from selling on EB... or worse.
Overall, the intention of this change is to make everyone happy. The rules as they were didn't make much sense and I generally felt stupid "enforcing" them; to avoid bumping members create multiple topics, which is probably worse. Thus we end up nagging members which nobody likes. This way it's a lot freer, yet there still is the capacity to use EB to make that once-in-a-lifetime sale and get good exposure. Now if people want to look for sales they can, and if they don't they aren't bothered by them. Everybody is happy....?
This is an experiment. If it all goes bad it'll be "undone", but I'm hopefull that it'll go well. Please feel free to share any thoughts on this change.
N.B. The rules in the topic were correct at the time of posting. I won't be maintaining this topic long term. Anyone who quotes these rules later on will be showered with defective M%g! Bl@ks.