Mister Phes

Special Project Auditions - Submissions

gallery_273_58_39098.jpg

What we are looking for:

Dozens of brilliant LEGO Pirate minifigure photos for the exciting new LEGO Pirates Forum Skin.

Minifigures include: Pirates (1989-1991, 1992-1995 & 1996-1997), Soldiers, Imperial Guards, Islanders, Imperial Armada , Pirates II and Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean.

To qualify

Please provide a sample of your work by posting up to three images in this thread.

• Photographers

Please submit at least one LEGO Pirate photo you've taken for this project.

• Image Editors

Please submit at least one LEGO Pirate photo you've edited for this project.

Your images MUST be in PNG format with 8 bit alpha transparency. Transparent GIFs will not be accepted.

Don't have a photo? Find one here.

BEFORE YOU SUMBIT!!!

Please read the terms & conditions in the Special Project Auditions - FAQ thread and ask any questions there.

Keep this thread for image submissions only!

I've edited some photo's from Sebeus I from the old submission topic. I hope they're good enough, if not, please say :classic:

You can view and download them here, I can try doing some more later today :classic:

Thank you for audition legolijntje! :thumbup:

Is it possible everyone else post their images in this thread.

This first image has too many jagged edges, particularly around the cape of the left most minifig. Sometimes the Magic Wand Tool doesn't cut it and you've got to manually touch up the edge with the Eraser Tool. Also note a Soft Edge on the brush helps avoid pixellation and jagged edges.

Would it be possible for you to eliminate those jagged edges and post the result in this thread?

post-273-0-97048000-1364030943_thumb.png

These two have minor jagged edges but this should be unnoticeable when they're sized down.

post-273-0-68753100-1364030934_thumb.png

post-273-0-50708000-1364030939_thumb.png

Yes, I was already trying to soften the lines as they look very ugly. It would be easier if the images were a higher resolution :sceptic:

EDIT:

I hope it's better now:

Sebeus%20I%201.png?token_hash=AAGnyfo3DxfUve-wCee3dnhhHfYVq9wmoDRrBQaeSpCukA&dl=1

Here's a few photos I have taken for this project! If you want anymore or need me to change something, please let me know.

8583056971_dacb263a8e_c.jpg

8583060017_98868b4ecf_c.jpg

Here's a few photos I have taken for this project! If you want anymore or need me to change something, please let me know.

Thank you for your audition Brickington, but the background must be transparent so they need to be saved in PNG format.

Yes, I was already trying to soften the lines as they look very ugly. It would be easier if the images were a higher resolution :sceptic:

EDIT: I hope it's better now:

It's better, but still a bit rough in some places.

The images are high enough resolution it's a matter of using the right tools and having patience, you're not going to do a good job of it unless you spend 10 minutes working the edges.

To demonstrate here's my edit with a green background so the edges are more noticeable.

post-273-0-36480100-1364094367_thumb.png

It's better, but still a bit rough in some places.

The images are high enough resolution it's a matter of using the right tools and having patience, you're not going to do a good job of it unless you spend 10 minutes working the edges.

To demonstrate here's my edit with a green background so the edges are more noticeable.

[image]

I spent around 15/20 minutes on that one using the magic wand tool with different settings and the eraser tool with different settings in Adobe Photoshop CS6. I also used different color backgrounds to find any wrong spots, but I couldn't find any more... :sceptic:

I'll take another look at them later today, because I have to go now.

Here's the photos both saved in PNG format! I tried with Flickr but apparently the photos automatically switch to JPEG, so I am now using Brickshelf and it seems to work. :classic:

sam_0642.png

sam_0631.png

Here's the photos both saved in PNG format! I tried with Flickr but apparently the photos automatically switch to JPEG, so I am now using Brickshelf and it seems to work. :classic:

[image]

[image]

Although they are .png now, they still haven't a transparant background. :wink:

EDIT: it seems Mister Phes said this at the exact same time...

I did, but then I realised he's only auditioning for photography with this photos - is that correct Brickington?

I did, but then I realised he's only auditioning for photography with this photos - is that correct Brickington?

It is correct. I can do basic editing if needed to, but I am not to good at it. So yes, I am signing up as a photographer.

Very well, feedback on the photography is as follows...

The quality on the below photo is passable, however the yellow on the arms and hands is far too saturated (I.e. bright).

Is that caused by the camera or a light source? And is there anyway to tone that down so the yellow is more consistent with the head?

sam_0631.png

The problem is that the actual minifigure head is old and a little discolored and the arms and hands are newer. If you like I can get a newer head for the picture and the head and arms will be more consistent.

Consistency is important, as you can imagine, a minifigure with bright arms and a dull head is going to look unusual in the banner!

Exactly how many pirate minifigures do you have?

Exactly how many pirate minifigures do you have?

I have most of the pirates and soldiers from the 2009 pirate line and a couple from the POTC. I also have some bluecoats, but sadly not any old pirates due to not recovering my childhood LEGO. :cry_sad:

Edited by Brickington

Easy fixed! You could be the guy who focuses on the 2009 Pirates and Soldiers.

But first we've got sort out the issue of taking decent photography. Observe the below photo how the lighting is fairly consistent and there aren't any extremes in colour variation:

09.jpg

I understand that completely. If I'm the guy takes the 2009 pirates I will defiantly not add old pirate items.

You can do both, just work to the strengths of what's available to you.

So is there anything you want me to do right now?

Your will is my command! Here are a couple of examples. Sorry for the first image's minifigure hand not being in all the way, I noticed it after I took the picture, it won't happen again. :sadnew:

sam_0667.png

sam_0670.png

These might be passable. Won't know till they're tested.

The lighting could be more consistent though, it seems to the top half is getting all the light while the bottom half is a bit dark.

What kind of camera are you using?

Here are some pics I took some time ago, would they meet your requirements?

pi008.jpgpi055.jpgpi040.jpgpi056.jpg

I have them in high resolution if you want.

Edit : They are in jpeg with white background as an example, I will post them in transparent png if they fit your needs.

Edited by Boomchil