Etzel

[GNAR] The Aurora of Mitgardia

The Aurora of Mitgardia patrols the cold seas around the northern lands. This ship belongs to the guild's own fleet and is one of the few that survived the turmoil of the war. Captain Ruswhal and his trained crew navigates with great precision between dark rocks and white icebergs and sometimes they even travel as far north as the outskirts of the Frozen Beyond. During their last trip there they picked up a pale and cold little man who told them he wanted to come with them to the south of Mitgardia. Apparently he had some important mission down there and Captain Ruswhal felt sorry for the shivering lad and let him on the ship. However, he would have to do something useful while on the ship so the captain put him on lookout duty.

Built for the Warship category of the GNAR challenge:

13583257325_a186ddd5d9_z.jpg

13583257005_fc30d4fcc5.jpg

13583630334_207cf4a538.jpg

13583627644_9b5ce01a2b.jpg

13583301803_b0c47c9556.jpg

13583299023_7dae13d672.jpg

13583300693_6ec23b11fa_n.jpg

Shivering Ettu is now on his way south, although not in the most comfortable way.

This ship was built with inspiration from the viking longships, but with no intention to make an exact copy or keeping all things historically correct. It's a mash-up of different types of ship building that would probably never work together, but I think it looks like it might still do. :wink:

It feels great to be back in the guild and I hope to make more builds soon! :sweet:

/Etzel

Nice ship there man... I like the shields at the side and the brick built sail.

That is a very sweet design Etzel, I like her a lot. Great brick sail and quite a few very interesting Mitgardian minifig combos. Excellent!

Very nice comback Etzel! I like the mix of Viking and medieval styles of that ship and the minifig combos you've made :classic:

What is that hat piece the captain is wearing btw?

Great ship and great minifigs by the way, the fur hats look quite nice, I really have to get at least one or two of them.

The design of the ship is really nice, I like the mix between viking longboat and medieval cog and the brick built sails also add a nice touch to your MOC.

Edited by Wat Tambor

Thanks! I'm quite happy myself with how the sail and hull turned out to be. The hull needs a lot of plates and tiles though and I'll probably take it apart very soon to make use of the parts in other builds.

What is that hat piece the captain is wearing btw?

It's the Mongolian/Tibetan hat from the Orient Expedition sets.

It's the Mongolian/Tibetan hat from the Orient Expedition sets.

Thanks! I've seen it a couple of times before but thought it was a third-party part. Added to my BL wanted list now! :classic:

Excellent build! The only thing I dislike is the strange color contrast from the shields (though I recognize its potential it you are going for a sort of ramshackle feel)

Nice blend of historical ship styles, I can certainly see this ship going back and forth between Mitgardia and Avalonia carrying goods and wares.

Great work Etzel! I love the shields, and the shields are great! Love the hull too! :classic::thumbup:

This is great! I especially like how the sail colors shift over to look more dynamic and lifelike. Can you tell me how you attached the shields? I have a few on my current ship build but they stick out quite far from the hull and could certainly look better.

This is great! I especially like how the sail colors shift over to look more dynamic and lifelike. Can you tell me how you attached the shields? I have a few on my current ship build but they stick out quite far from the hull and could certainly look better.

Thanks! I had the same thought about the sail so I'm happy that the dynamic look transformed to the pictures too. :classic:

The shields are attacked by either T-bars or clips like this. The smaller shields doesn't sit very good though, I wish I had more of the old viking shields instead.

shields.jpg

Great work, I love brick build ships. All my attempts always fail, I especially like the sail and the back side!

Very nice build. I love the way you capture motion through the sail patterns and shapes.