Strategos

WIP Privateer

frigate-3qbow.jpg

frigate-3qstern.jpg

Side view:

frigate-starbd.jpg

Prow. I think the figurehead will end up being an eagle or a dragon or something:

frigate-bowclose.jpg

The model is designed to come apart in the middle to reveal the cross section:

frigate-bowxsection.jpg

I drew inspiration from Captain Green Hair's Le Requin (cannons and prow details). I'll be posting more pictures as the model comes together at my Brickshelf gallery. Comments and critique are welcome!

That's an epic creation on MLCAD! :pir-cry_happy:

I would increase the bowsprit's length more, it's rather short. :pir-wink:

Since it's a marvellous ship, are you going to build it in real bricks?

It looks almost exactly like Darwin's ship! :pir-oh3::thumbup:

Excellent work!

blogged.png

Soon! :pir-sweet:

You could make the whole ship 1 hullpiece longer, but for the rest I'd say: start with the real thing! :pir-sweet:

It looks very nice, your figurehead is also a good idea.

Just like the others: can't wait to see this thing in real!

:pir-oh3: Thats cool ship, Its looks quite real at me

keep it up :thumbup:

:jollyroger: Captain Becker :jollyroger:

Edited by Captain Becker

Really cool! I love it! It looks just like what I would imagine a ship of that time would look like. You did not overdo it, and yet still covered all of the bases. Any plans to make it a reality?

-martinsuper

I really like the tumblehome and wall design of this ship. I am curious though do the walls hold the top deck up or are you planning on putting supports between the decks along with the walls? Would love to see this technique in real life!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

pretty nice!:O it seems so real, do you wanna build it in real?

so it likes a small fregat. the hull is the same as the essex.

i cant wait to see it in real lego bricks!

good job :pir-blush:

Thanks, everyone, for the praise and comments. I've started construction, and I have a few more pics to share:

02-hull-starside.jpg

I've increased the hull length, and thus the amount of guns :) The starboard side is resting on the prow and stern (I'm still acquiring brown brick for the sides), and the gray pieces will be replaced by black and white.

03-aft.jpg

View of the stern. The rudder isn't shipped yet but the chains are visible.

@Flying Dutchman: you're right, the more I work on her the more she looks like an American frigate like the essex (I've been using the hulls of constitution and constellation for reference). I still haven't decided on her nationality...US or Brit? Hmm...

More pics here.

Awesome ship so far! It has a very nice stern and I also like the chain a lot.

A slightly sloped sturn would also be great, but the design looks good.

For the rest you did a good job on the furniture and the gunports on the main deck.

Keep it up! :thumbup:

What an amazing ship! :pir-wub:

It looks even better in real!

She has awesome shapes, nice colours and a nice job on detailing already!

Very nice. :thumbup:

Would you like me to edit the title of this topic? Since there is a real LEGO model now as well!

Very nice! She does look like the Uss Essex. This ship is turning out to be a very well built ship. I came across your brickshelf the other night and was waiting on you to post your update to comment on it. I happened to noticed the figure head closeup.. It looks awesome. A screaming dragon! I suggest that you join the american navy! Keep it up!

-Admiral Bejaune

Would you like me to edit the title of this topic? Since there is a real LEGO model now as well!

Sounds good, maybe just "WIP Frigate"?

Edited by Strategos

Update 5/20/10

I've complete the hull apart from some of the deck detailing, so I'm starting the tedious but ultimately rewarding task of rigging. Fortunately I stumbled upon an amazing resource: the revell model company has pdf scans of some of their instruction sets online, and the instructions for their USS Constitution model give a very detailed picture of both the standing and running rigging:

Revell: Instruction Plans (scroll down for the Constitution, there are 3 pdfs)

I'm well under way on the bowsprit and foremast, and I've posted a few pics at my MOCPages gallery.

1274385688m_DISPLAY.jpg

The threads are still a bit loose so I can adjust them if the tension on the masts changes, once all the stays are up I'll make everything fast. Enjoy!

HOLY HECK! what a truly amazing ship! the level of detail is brilliant, and I'm loving how she's looking with the rigging :pir-classic: My four master is only getting a basic rigging job, the pains of top line and ratlines are MORE then enough for me :pir-tongue: Also, a request. May I use the tumblehome design on a frigate I'm planning? I may modify it some, but i like how it works :pir_laugh2:

GREAT, Great, Great work so far. I love the black & white style. And I envy you for making the rigging - I'm to clumsy and impatient to do it myself. Please keep us updated!