Sebeus I

Lost Glory

[pid][/pid] 140B

Lately I've been trying out some more 'organic' shipbuilding techniques.

As far as I know it's unique so if it would work out it shall be referred to as Sebeus' ship curve technique...

But for now I'll keep dreaming :pir_laugh2:

Anyway:

dsc04530.jpg

dsc04771.jpg

dsc04534.jpg

dsc04536.jpg

There are a lot of gaps in this technique, litterally.

The gaps are very small but they come in great numbers.

You need a lot of clip plates and flexible tubes to make anything decent, I have a lot but not enough to make a complete ship so for now I'm satisfied with this sinking variant.

Now, I do have some other small projects going on so I won't make a ship in this style soon.

Yet I also designed a new hull which I could use for this ship:

dsc04640.jpg

I originally started this hull thinking about completing my Flying Dutchman (which is a waterline model now).

Basically this is a larger version of my tiny black pearl (which I posted here a while ago).

Because Black is the color I have most slopes of it was pretty obvious I could as well design a hull for the Black Pearl.

dsc04641.jpg

dsc04643.jpg

it's light and strong, I can easely hold it by the keel and swoosh it about without losing parts.

(I took some of cb4's advice :pir-sweet: )

dsc04647.jpg

It's pretty wide but I like it this way.

This is a prototype ofcourse, you can see there still are too many different colors in the hull.

As long as my Flying Dutchman isn't completed I won't be able to do much with this hull.

I hope you found this interesting,

feel free to try out my new technique (the organic sinking ship) but be sure to refer to Sebeus' ship curve technique,

or else:

dsc04749.jpg

Really, I insist :pir_laugh2:

I like the first one's look a lot. But the down-side of it that first came to mind, as you point out, is all the little gaps. I don't think I could bring myself to use such a technique. Although it does work quite nicely for a floundering vessel. So perhaps you could patent the technique as the de facto requirement for drowning craft in all future MOC's. :wink:

The second one looks pretty good as well, but I think the first has a better shape overall. Since the one is so good, the other looks worse than it actually may be. But perhaps worth it ultimately regardless.

As for the technique's name: I should think it to be common knowledge that if you want to name a discovered something after yourself you have to do so in Latin, to avoid any allusions to vanity and pride. :pir-classic: So, if I decide to make a shipwreck I'll be sure to reference the use of Modus Navum Flectere Sebeum. :pir-grin:

p.s. You can't call two, separate and distinct techniques by the same name. So you need to distinguish them in name somehow. :pir-tongue:

well i kinda like the slope-technique, i'm sure it looks great for specific types of boats; the first one... well, i don't like gaps, especially when it's difficult to find ways to fill them up, even though i like the creativity...

p.s. You can't call two, separate and distinct techniques by the same name. So you need to distinguish them in name somehow. :pir-tongue:

Right, I meant the first one but it wasn't so obvious indeed, the black hull isn't really a technique, it's more like a wide interpretation of an inverted roof :pir_laugh2:

(litterally wide).

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(this is me excited pirate_classic.gif)

I really like the first one, I won't care for gaps. I'm just not sure how you would do to make a solid ship in that way…

But the second one… It is like a much more simpler (and yet, extremely elegant) of cb4's technique. I cannot say this is worse than the technique I'm using for my ship… It is accurate… It is kind of tilled… It is strong… It requires so few parts… It is perfect! I wish I had started building my ship later, so that I could have done it this way pir_laugh2.gif

A good advice: when building ships using these technique, to achieve a perfect curve, consider matching each slope section to the ships plans. You will that besides being easy and accurate, the overall effect is increasingly better, though your new Pearl is fantastic! I just hope you finish both your ships now! NOW! pirate_classic.gif

Right, I meant the first one but it wasn't so obvious indeed, the black hull isn't really a technique, it's more like a wide interpretation of an inverted roof :pir_laugh2:

(litterally wide).

So we'll call the second Sebeus' Floating Upside-down House Technique! :pir-tongue:

For the first technique I wonder if one couldn't build an inner-bulkhead behind the outer so the gaps weren't so obvious.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(this is me excited pirate_classic.gif)

Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your name Frank. It always makes me laugh. There's nothing better than a good pun... except maybe a good woman...and fresh fruit, but you get the idea. :wink:

2.5 awesome builds (.5 is the unfinished hull) and 2 awesome new techniques! I like this topic :pir-sweet:

I have to chime in here and say I find your “Modus Navum Flectere Sebeum”:pir-grin: quite intriguing. I really like the overall effect for the sake of the contours it achieves. I really don’t think the resulting gaps would amount to any great detractor on a full and complete model as they only seem obvious upon very fine scrutiny. I imagine that a complete structure would block enough light from either side for most any open spaces to blend in to the surface as black voids. As far as any internal components are concerned, they could simply be omitted, leaving the model as a shell or and an independent structure of decks and bulkheads could be built in a more conventional manner and trapped in place as the shell is assembled around it. I would love to see an entire vessel, even a small one, done in this style as a proof of concept.

I also fined your first images quite ominous. I think you’ve really got something there. I also like to see that developed further, maybe some more action or a back story.

Sebeus, you must stay very busy, to continually come up with new and intriguing techniques whilst keeping us hanging on the edge of our seats awaiting updates for previous projects. I can imagine you having created some sort of brick-dispensing apparatus that straps to your chest. I see you walking about the house just randomly building things here and there. :grin:

I really like the first one, I won't care for gaps. I'm just not sure how you would do to make a solid ship in that way…

I'm not sure either, I still have to find out myself :pir_laugh2:

I have to chime in here and say I find your “Modus Navum Flectere Sebeum”:pir-grin: quite intriguing. I really like the overall effect for the sake of the contours it achieves. I really don’t think the resulting gaps would amount to any great detractor on a full and complete model as they only seem obvious upon very fine scrutiny. I imagine that a complete structure would block enough light from either side for most any open spaces to blend in to the surface as black voids. As far as any internal components are concerned, they could simply be omitted, leaving the model as a shell or and an independent structure of decks and bulkheads could be built in a more conventional manner and trapped in place as the shell is assembled around it. I would love to see an entire vessel, even a small one, done in this style as a proof of concept.

I also fined your first images quite ominous. I think you’ve really got something there. I also like to see that developed further, maybe some more action or a back story.

Thank you, I hadn't actually thought about that, on a complete ship with the internal structure the gaps would certainly be less obvious. I want to build a complete ship but this will take much time before I can even start a ship itself, the stern windows for instant aren's so smoothly connected to the rest of the ship and I got to make an estimate on how many parts I'll need, it will take months :pir_wacko:

Well, atleast I'll know what to do after my Flying Dutchman :pir-laugh:

Sebeus, you must stay very busy, to continually come up with new and intriguing techniques whilst keeping us hanging on the edge of our seats awaiting updates for previous projects. I can imagine you having created some sort of brick-dispensing apparatus that straps to your chest. I see you walking about the house just randomly building things here and there. :grin:

...I have a what on my chest ?

:pir_laugh2:

I keep all of my lego in my room, by doing so I limit the chaos into a single space, that space however, my room is disaster, there's lego on the floor, on the shelves for lego, on the shelves for school books as well, on my desk, under my desk, in my desk, on the ceiling (yes, even there), under my bed and when I wake up in the morning also in my bed because somehow I get my best Idea's in the middle of the night. I have a lot of boxes but you know, you can't do anything with lego when it's in boxes, you have to take it out to do something with it and I guess that's what I did :P

It's also good to keep myself physically fit, to get to my room I have to take 6 stairs so whenever I have an idea... right :cannon:

That apparatus sounds practical I must say :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

I keep all of my lego in my room, by doing so I limit the chaos into a single space, that space however, my room is disaster, there's lego on the floor, on the shelves for lego, on the shelves for school books as well, on my desk, under my desk, in my desk, on the ceiling (yes, even there), under my bed

I thought you were describing my room… After all you aren't pir_laugh2.gif

Thank you, I hadn't actually thought about that, on a complete ship with the internal structure the gaps would certainly be less obvious. I want to build a complete ship but this will take much time before I can even start a ship itself, the stern windows for instant aren's so smoothly connected to the rest of the ship and I got to make an estimate on how many parts I'll need, it will take months :pir_wacko:

Well, atleast I'll know what to do after my Flying Dutchman :pir-laugh:

I was going to ask you to post a picture showing the exact way all those clips and things are assembled so I could maybe work on a full model in LDD, but then I realized that you're using the flex tubes as a major component. Those damn things are so annoying to manipulate in LDD, so I may not try it after all. :pir-angry:

The “Modus Navum Flectere Sebeum” technique :pir_laugh2: looks very, very, very good :drool: , but i wonder how to build a stable ship with this technique, it would also requires a heap load of bricks and ages to build it *huh* , the upside down roof technique is more usuable and it would make a fine ship, if i had the bricks for it i would try it immediately :excited:

I was going to ask you to post a picture showing the exact way all those clips and things are assembled so I could maybe work on a full model in LDD, but then I realized that you're using the flex tubes as a major component. Those damn things are so annoying to manipulate in LDD, so I may not try it after all. :pir-angry:

Haha, LDD is useless in this case, I never succeed in finishing a digital creation anyway :pir_laugh2:

The “Modus Navum Flectere Sebeum” technique :pir_laugh2: looks very, very, very good :drool: , but i wonder how to build a stable ship with this technique, it would also requires a heap load of bricks and ages to build it *huh* , the upside down roof technique is more usuable and it would make a fine ship, if i had the bricks for it i would try it immediately :excited:

Well, I pretty confident I can build both a stable and a ship so making a stable ship should not be too problematic :pir_laugh2:

Anyway,I had some kind of brickbuild frame in mind to support the unstable parts, something you could call a skeleton in the shape of my black hull, attached with clip plates.

Unique it is !

I would like to see more from you, and from this technique of course!

Greetz Bjornu

Edited by Bjornu

I would like to see more of you, and from this technique of course!

I have no doubt this is an innocent mistranslation coming from Nederlands into English, but "I would like to see more of you" says that you want to get together with Sebeus for a little one-on-one time, if you know what I mean. :wink: I think what you were going for here was, "I would like to see more from you." Off topic I know, but just wanted to point it out. I hate it when I get something wrong in a foreign language.

I have no doubt this is an innocent mistranslation coming from Nederlands into English, but "I would like to see more of you" says that you want to get together with Sebeus for a little one-on-one time, if you know what I mean. :wink: I think what you were going for here was, "I would like to see more from you." Off topic I know, but just wanted to point it out. I hate it when I get something wrong in a foreign language.

:pir_laugh2:

I find this funny because you pointed it out, I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise, I speak dutch myself so I made the mistake a lot in the early years I started sharing my creations online, lots of emberassing situations :pir-grin:

Or actually it's more correct to say that I speak flemish.

Anyway, this is a bit off-topic isn't it ? or is it ?

the bluecoats on my sinking ship could be dutch :pir_laugh2:

I feel so embaressed now. :pir-blush:

Normally I would have written it correctly....

Never too old to learn something anyways!

Thanks for the Correction

greetz Bjornu !

[pid][/pid]203A

I used my ship curve technique or Modus Navum Flectere Sebeum, whatever you want, on a smaller vessel,

a fishing boat, I made this as a part of my next Pirate Plunder entry, the seed part being the seats I used on the hull of the boat.

dsc04846.jpg

Start small, then work onto bigger things :pir-classic:

dsc04852.jpg

dsc04853.jpg

dsc04854.jpg

dsc04859.jpg

btw, it's pretty inconvenient that that old sail doesn't have a fourth hole :pir-sceptic:

Anyway, you can see more here

Looking at that first picture really shows how great this technique is for displaying curvature. You're little fishing boat looks pretty good, but I think I'd like to see what is possible when you aren't restricted to using only the seat piece with such prevalence.

It's a great little MOC by the way. I particularly like the ship's wheel stuck in the sea monster's spines. :thumbup:

Looking at that first picture really shows how great this technique is for displaying curvature. You're little fishing boat looks pretty good, but I think I'd like to see what is possible when you aren't restricted to using only the seat piece with such prevalence.

It's a great little MOC by the way. I particularly like the ship's wheel stuck in the sea monster's spines. :thumbup:

Thanks, I will post all my entries in one topic when the contest if over, I just feel the need to save forum space :pir_laugh2:

Ouch! That curvature from the top view is perfect! One suggestion though: have you considered using the technique you used in the Amor del Comercio instead of chairs, slopes or anything like that? Because the lower part of the hull is a little too vertical, but seen from above is fantastic. Great job!

Nice. I like the chair technique on the sides, though as Frank Brick Wright said, it is a bit too vertical. Might still have to find a use for it.

I love the use of the space helmets and the chairs in this MOC--this deserves to be blogged!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

TC