Sign in to follow this  
Fires-storm

A WIP American Schooner of the line*odd, I know* the U.S.S Charger

I finally got some money and decided to try and make the american fleet a true contender of the seas, with this little beauty of a soon to be 40 gun, including deck cannon when I get them, schooner. Hope you all enjoy!

A pic of the port side

VR48RZBF9S.jpg

And a pic of star board

9SKLQMTCVK.jpg

A side view of the stern

TDES7MTLE1.jpg

A picture of one of the broadside cannon rows.

OOVN6T9VS2.jpg

the bow of the ship, low to water for excellent speed :pir-classic:

UP0J4GUJ0W.jpg

the stern

R9592RBVEA.jpg

and finally, a size comparison to my previous schooner, the dauntless.

2C7MR1QI19.jpg

hope its looking good, it should be done in about two weeks, minus the cannon....hopefully :pir_laugh2:

Were you thinking of adding anything onto the stern?

The fact that its so low is definately a speed + :thumbup: Same with the fact that your using FIVE masts, also a + :thumbup:

Though the wieght of all those cannons would slow it down :pir-sceptic: , you might think of just keeping the cannons to the below deck, to make it more realistic... :pir_yoda: (unless you were gonna use some light carronades, etc.)

I do like the way its turning out. Can't wait to see the end product. :pir-grin:

Edited by the_green_avenger

Were you thinking of adding anything onto the stern?

The fact that its so low is definately a speed + :thumbup: Same with the fact that your using FIVE masts, also a + :thumbup:

Though the wieght of all those cannons would slow it down :pir-sceptic: , you might think of just keeping the cannons to the below deck, to make it more realistic... :pir_yoda: (unless you were gonna use some light carronades, etc.)

I do like the way its turning out. Can't wait to see the end product. :pir-grin:

Actually I'm keeping the stern low to make it even more aerodynamic, and also it wouldn't do for the gaffer rigged sails to knock the captains bedroom into the brink :pir-tongue: and in reference to the five masts and low water, yup its entire idea is speed, as well as being well protected^^ And yes, have no fears, the top cannon will probably only be carronade/swivel guns, unless I get frisky and maybe bump it up to 30 main cannon, then a max of six big ones would be on deck, probably two stern, two bow, one extra port and starboard, or somethin like that, lol^^ but yeah, once pieces are here I'll get to work and update :pir-grin:

Actually I'm keeping the stern low to make it even more aerodynamic, and also it wouldn't do for the gaffer rigged sails to knock the captains bedroom into the brink :pir-tongue: and in reference to the five masts and low water, yup its entire idea is speed, as well as being well protected^^ And yes, have no fears, the top cannon will probably only be carronade/swivel guns, unless I get frisky and maybe bump it up to 30 main cannon, then a max of six big ones would be on deck, probably two stern, two bow, one extra port and starboard, or somethin like that, lol^^ but yeah, once pieces are here I'll get to work and update :pir-grin:

I think you'll be fine at four masts. With it being so fast, you may also think of doing chase cannons (ones facing foreward) for even more realism. But with the sheer speed, you probably wouldn't be needing cannons in the stern... Hope you can get some good rigging on there, with all those sails/masts, it'll be A LOT of work

I think you'll be fine at four masts. With it being so fast, you may also think of doing chase cannons (ones facing foreward) for even more realism. But with the sheer speed, you probably wouldn't be needing cannons in the stern... Hope you can get some good rigging on there, with all those sails/masts, it'll be A LOT of work

It will be a ton of work, but once its done it'll be my pride and joy^^ The chasers are going to go on, but with 5 masts she'll be able to catch most ships she'd want to broadside anyhow, lol

It will be a ton of work, but once its done it'll be my pride and joy^^ The chasers are going to go on, but with 5 masts she'll be able to catch most ships she'd want to broadside anyhow, lol

Well then, hope It turns out great!

Having chasers (posibly triple ones like in the dutchman, which would be awesome) means the ship doesn't have to come along from the broadside, as in smaller ships, as to eliminate the chance of damage in the attacker's ship

Which is honestly the point of chasers really, because most schooners were so fast they would go right by a frigate or ship of the line rather then chasing them, lol :pir-tongue: and yeah, tripple chasers would be amazingly epic :pir-grin:

Just in case you don't know: I believe there has (almost?) never been a square-rigged ship with a classical broadside (with cannons) like this.

But if you really want to do it, go ahead, it's your ship :pir-wink:

You could also make it 3 masts and give them just more sails on each mast.

Anyway, do what you like the most, so far it looks very nice :pir-classic:

Edited by Admiral Croissant

Just in case you don't know: I believe there has (almost?) never been a square-rigged ship with a classical broadside (with cannons) like this.

But if you really want to do it, go ahead, it's your ship :pir-wink:

You could also make it 3 masts and give them just more sails on each mast.

Anyway, do what you like the most, so far it looks very nice :pir-classic:

Heya, thanks for the tips and compliments, but actually this isn't going to be a square rigged schooner for the Americans, its actually going to be a gaff rigged one^^ examples of gaff rigging, and the schooner I based off of, note this one is going to be MUCH bigger then that one would've been in legos. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaff_rig

http://www.uscg.mil/history/webcutters/Pickering_1798.jpg

Heya, thanks for the tips and compliments, but actually this isn't going to be a square rigged schooner for the Americans, its actually going to be a gaff rigged one^^ examples of gaff rigging, and the schooner I based off of, note this one is going to be MUCH bigger then that one would've been in legos. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaff_rig

Good idea on the gaff rigging... :thumbup: Makes it look like an extended version of the dauntless... :pir-grin:

Edited by the_green_avenger

Ah, great and original idea. In this case I can live with four masts :pir-tongue:

Good luck with the build! I'm very curious about how it will turn out.

I'm glad you both have such an interest in my little endeavor^^ I'm going to try and possibly have it done by the end of march, if not sooner, so we shall see soon, hopefully :pir-grin: also thank you for the compliments on my idea, I thought a gaff rigg would be something different and distinguish the ships a little :pir_laugh2:

Looks very promising :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to the finished ship!

Thanks, I submitted the roder that should pretty much finish her up when it comes, hopefully this week, or at latest next^^

It looks really good, I'll being following to see further progress in this. :pir-classic:

I hope she doesn't dissapoint, I know she's been fun to build so far!

Thanks, I submitted the roder that should pretty much finish her up when it comes, hopefully this week, or at latest next^^

I hope she doesn't dissapoint, I know she's been fun to build so far!

Did you mean rudder?

And why is your ship female? lol. I'm sure IT won't dissapoint...

Can't wait to see it done!

OF COURSE the one typo I miss, lol. It was meant as Order, so as soon as my order arrives, she'll be done! :pir_laugh2: And also I have way to much nautical blood in me to call my ships an "it"....sailors often called their ship their wife because of a love of the sea, hence ship=she :pir-grin:

OF COURSE the one typo I miss, lol. It was meant as Order, so as soon as my order arrives, she'll be done! :pir_laugh2: And also I have way to much nautical blood in me to call my ships an "it"....sailors often called their ship their wife because of a love of the sea, hence ship=she :pir-grin:

Meh...

any updates?

:pir_yoda:

Meh...

any updates?

Don't I wish>.< My order for some reason was switched back from processing to pending. If it isn't switched back by end of week I and my seller shall have a little "Word" about it. :cannon:

Don't I wish>.< My order for some reason was switched back from processing to pending. If it isn't switched back by end of week I and my seller shall have a little "Word" about it. :cannon:

lol. That's wierd. You buy off bricklink?

you could always try the good ol' E-mail attack maneuver