12/16/09 - Page 3/Post #37

12/17/09 - Page 3/Post #43

12/20/09 - Page 4/Post #50

12/31/09 - Page 5/Post #63

1/13/10 - Page 5/Post #73

1/15/10 - Page 6/Post #85

1/17/10 - Page 6/Post #89

1/19/10 - Page 7/Post #100

I promised to show you a few photos of the progress I am making on the creation of my fleet. Shown in the picture are 2 smaller frigates (5 hull sections each) 30s - 40s in terms of guns. Two heavy frigates (7 hull sections) 50s - 60's guns. One smaller ship of the line (9 hull sections) 70's to 80s guns and a Sloop of war (3 hull sections - narrow smaller hulls) 12 - 18 guns. The sloop will be called the Hotspur in honor or the Horatio Hornblower sloop of the same name. The others do not yet have names so any suggestions are welcome. Not pictured is another frigate sized ship (5 mid sections) on the red hull plates and another sloop class ship on the white hulls. I am planning a third sloop class as well but the small hull plates are hard to come by. Of course I am also reconstruction Captain Green Hair's La Mort Royale so it will be pretty impressive I think when finished.

I am using Captain Green Hair's build a frigate manual and five of the six ships shown are up to or nearly up to the point where I have to make some color decisions on the sides of the ships. The ship of the line is a little further behind as I need more 2x black plates. The suckers really eat plates like you wouldn't believe but I am pleased with how the shapes and lines of the ships are looking but any feedback from the expert ship builders would be happily accepted.

1260563097m_DISPLAY.jpg

12605631001_DISPLAY.jpg

12605631012_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by Commodore Hornbricker
Made the title better suiting.

Why make one ship if you can build a whole fleet :laugh:

This is a very ambitious project my dear Commodore and I'm very curious how it will turn out. If you can get it all finished it will be one hell of an armada.

I'm very curious how it will turn out.

Me too! :pir_laugh2:

The photos represent a weeks worth of progress so they are moving forward. I am glad to be getting past the lower sections as they are a lot of work and parts and not much to look at by way of reward. The next phase should be more fun. I added more bricks and plates than the original plans called for so they are pretty strong especially the individual tumble home sections as I laid an extra layer of plates behind them to lock them in place so they do not easily come off.

The sloop will be called the Hotspur in honor or the Horatio Hornblower sloop of the same name.

Is this fleet also British?

Absolutely! I figured I needed a lot of ships to chase La Mort Royale around the Caribbean :pir_laugh2:

Never fear! The Unicorn is here! :pir_laugh2:

I break it apart, just like the Post. :pir-skull:

Oh dear! :pir_laugh2:

Lots of British ships in progress I see, interesting. And unique as well, I've never seen someone building a fleet of top-notch ships at the same time.

I truely hope this fleet will be completed soon.

Imagine how a large fleet of such ships looks under full sail. :pir-cry_happy:

I'm sure I'll follow this topic closely, and I wish you all the best with your project! :thumbup:

That's certainly a very ambitious project!

The shape of the hulls look good so far and I have already seenships with the tecnhique you are going to use, so I think it will look great in the end :pir-classic:

Hotspur is a nice name, maybe you can also name some other ships after ships of the Hornblower series, or maybe from other novels.

Or (like I'm going to do), search for roman gods (because a lot of ships were named after them) and choos a good name.

I especially like the names that aren't used on many ships so your ship is not 'the same ship' as a ship that already existed (not built after a 'real'ship)

Well, good luck on this big project!

6 British ships!? :pir-oh3:

Us Bluecoats might as well pack up for the road! :pir-grin:

really, this is a large project. Never have I seen 6 beautiful ships all together!

I wish you best of luck on this one, your gonna need it.

6 British ships!? :pir-oh3:

Us Bluecoats might as well pack up for the road! :pir-grin:

Don't you talk like that, we'll resort to suicide attacks if we have to.

First, we'll pack you and your barrel full of gun-powder, then launch you at the bow if his ships, certain victory is at hand :pir_laugh2:

You certainlly have your work cut out for you Egor, good Luck :thumbup:

Wow, this is quite a project! It looks like us Frenchies will need to rally the troops if this is what we're up against. I look forward to following your progress. :pir-classic:

Woa that is ambitious Commodore!

Looks good from what i can see, the only thing bugging me are the grey top parts on the small hulls. You might want to consider taking them off and switching them for black ones. :pir-wink:

Best of luck with it!

:pir-wub:

I really can't want to see your project once it will be finished, your fleet will certainly be amazing, one ship based on the CPGBH-like model is already very nice, but six under the same flag can't be anything else than wonderful. I am really optimistic for your work, and I won't miss any of the pics you will post, I keep myself posted how the MOCs of the forum are, it is a kind of Christmas just for the eyes ^^

Good luck, humbly.

As a dozen have said before: ambitious. This will be a thread to watch. You'll surely have a mighty fleet when you're done. Keep posting your progress!

Great idea on building all at one time, and quite a big undertaking! Im sure they will turn out great. Im gonna have the same problem when i build my Gulivers Travels moc, gonna need to build 16 or more ships for that and i'll be in poverty :pir_bawling: . Are you going to build them all with the same colour-scheme? Great for the british navy, but both them and the bluecoats will be running scared of Lord Derfel's Privateer fleet when its posted :pir-skull:

Please note the Royal Bluecoat Shipyard is working at top speed...

And the progress of some ships goes very smoothly...

No doubt it will be even more active in the future! :pir-skull:

Please note the Royal Bluecoat Shipyard is working at top speed...

And the progress of some ships goes very smoothly...

No doubt it will be even more active in the future! :pir-skull:

Good news. Things are progressing here too. I'd hate to think my fleet had nothing to chase down and sink!

More pics soon.

@ch: so the one with the small hull, is that going to be your sloop of war? and how many mid-sections does it contain?

I have faith in the outcome, since following Captain GreenHair's blueprints gives you such a rock-solid foundation to add your own creative colors and extrapolations and details to.

But I sincerely hope you have the Redshirts to crew all of these warships! And a proper Fleet Admiral calling the shots!

@ch: so the one with the small hull, is that going to be your sloop of war? and how many mid-sections does it contain?

Yes that is the sloop of war. It has three which gives it a nice shape and size relative to the bigger ships.

I have faith in the outcome, since following Captain GreenHair's blueprints gives you such a rock-solid foundation to add your own creative colors and extrapolations and details to.

But I sincerely hope you have the Redshirts to crew all of these warships! And a proper Fleet Admiral calling the shots!

You'll have to look up my armies in the army topic. I've got more than enough!

A few picture updates. The two larger 7 mid section frigates are progressing a little ahead of everything else but the two 5 mid section frigates are right behind. One of the smaller frigates will have two rows of guns and the other will have just one. I am waiting for parts for the sloop and the large 9 mid section ship. I am going to start the frigate class ship I am building on red hulls...that one I think will be a pirate and then I am going to do a second sloop style on white hulls when the parts arrive. Any advice from the great ship builders out there is always appreciated!

1260746806m_DISPLAY.jpg

12607468221_DISPLAY.jpg

12607468322_DISPLAY.jpg

12607468453_DISPLAY.jpg

Looks impressive... I have one thing thought... whats up with the large ladders on the side of the hull? They are way too big. Look at some ship plans or models and you will see that those ladders actually curve around a gunport if need.. that way guns where not sacrificed for it.

-Admiral B