Sign in to follow this  
Duke

HMS Puffin

[pid][/pid] 101d

Final Update? in post #35 (Page 3)

Update of updates in post #31 (Page 3)

Updated update in post #20 (Page 2)

Updated picture in post #11

Hi everyone, long time since i've posted a pirate creation. This ship was inspired by several very nice ships on here and using the tumblehome instructions from Captain Green Hair. It's build on only two midsections and using the new brown hulls rather than old brown as I didn't have the bricks to fill the gaps in old brown. I've tried to give it a realistic appearance whilst at the same time keeping a lego feel. It doesn't have rigging because i'm just not willing to donate the time and effort to tie all those knots when I don't think I will be keeping the ship long term; it was more of an experiment with ship building so I can move to bigger projects in the future. Anyway, enough talking, here are some pictures:

dsc01061.jpg

dsc01063.jpg

dsc01065.jpg

dsc01071.jpg

dsc01066.jpg

dsc01062.jpg

There are more close-up shots in the gallery when moderated. HERE

On deck are the Commander (A ship of this side was captained by a Lieutenant acting as Commander rather than a Captain), two Midshipman, two marines and assorted crew. I've taken a slightly fictional angle and used black rather than dark blue for the officers because it complements the hats and looks rather nice :pir-classic:

Comments, criticism, suggests are all welcome!

Edited by Captain Blackmoor

that's not bad at all!

the two thing i would change are 1 x 4 x 1 fences (or 1 x 4 x 2) instead of bricks on the upper deck.. and reduce the curvature in the middle section.

It's a rather nice ship :thumbup:

I think it would look even better with headrails though, and maybe reduce the curve a little bit.

It's a short ship so with so much curving it easily looks a bit like it's breaking in two.

But the colourscheme is very nice, as is the black uniforms and the more detailed pieces around the poop deck.

It's also great that this is an experiment for bigger projects in the future :pir-sweet:

I think it looks great, but on a hisp with just two midsectoins, you should definently give it a little less curve in the middle section. It reminds me of a blowfish...

Edited by Nosaj

I like the name and the figurehead to match. I also like the black soldiers. They look very sharp.

I think that even if you don't want to rig such a small ship, you should at least do with the prefab Lego rigging so there is something there!

There a couple things I would change on the ship if you don't mind my comments...

1) I would make the first porthole cover black like the others.

2) I would redesign the bow. All the black plates are sort of weird. I would also consider adding some red like you used in the stern.

3) The poop deck seems a bit high to me. I am not sure there is much to be done about though!

Thanks for the comments all, I see what you mean about the slope being too much for a vessel of this size. The fault lies in my copying a technique meant for more midsections. I concede the bow is a little weak with just a covering of black plates at an angle, I was struggling to work out how it ought to look and fitting detail in the small space. As for the poop deck, I agree that it is probably too high, but after I built that staircase up to it which I rather liked, I couldn't bring myself to do a redesign and remove it.

Anyway, as I said it was an experimental ship so thanks for the comments and I will take them on board for the future.

Ahh, puffins, they are so beatiful, as is the ship. I like the ship infact, the color sceme in good and the ridding is cool too, the curve how ever could be different and the ship could be a bit longer. But its still a great ship, keep it up mate, fair winds ye hartie!

Captain Becker

I agree that it is probably too high, but after I built that staircase up to it which I rather liked, I couldn't bring myself to do a redesign and remove it.

The problem with our hobby isn't it? It is some times hard to sacrafice a feature you like to correct something you don't like quite as well. It is a balancing act, and if you are aware of an issue, but even still like it, then that is all that really matters!

Any thoughts on adding the Lego rigging pieces to the ship?

Ahhhhhhhhh mighty puffins!

Puffin002.jpg

Respect the puffin.... FEAR THE PUFFIN!

The problem with our hobby isn't it? It is some times hard to sacrafice a feature you like to correct something you don't like quite as well. It is a balancing act, and if you are aware of an issue, but even still like it, then that is all that really matters!

Any thoughts on adding the Lego rigging pieces to the ship?

I had quite forgotten about the rigging, so present a new photo with a few (hopefully positive) changes.

dsc01076.jpg

All the gunports are now black and i've added a few flags on the mastheads as well as an ensign. The rigging isn't really of an ideal length but I think it is an improvement..

Some nice improvements indeed.

I would try it with some red on the bow to match the color of the stern and maybe raise the middle gunport/middle section up one plate. I think you can leave the rest, but I think it will make a positive change!

I had quite forgotten about the rigging, so present a new photo with a few (hopefully positive) changes.

-snip-

All the gunports are now black and i've added a few flags on the mastheads as well as an ensign. The rigging isn't really of an ideal length but I think it is an improvement..

The improvements make this MOC look a lot better. Nice job Duke (who isn't my brother). :thumbup:

I really enjoy the name and figure head of the ship. It's very creative. :grin:

Thanks for the encouragement, I do value highly the words of such esteemed builders as yourselves.

I did a little work today on the ship, restructuring one side to have less of an incline. I managed to loosen the hinges by accident and spent a good while taking things apart to get at them in order to reattach.. :thumbdown:

I'll try adding a bit of red near the front and then sorting out the other side when I have some time at the weekend.

The update looks rather nice at me. Nice to hear at you are gonna fix the curve, how about the lenght? You are gonna make it more longer a bit or just elave it as it is?

Captain Becker

I don't really have the parts to make it longer, but I might reconstruct the stern to be a bit lower.

a great MOC! I don't usually use the prefab rigging but other than that brilliant! how many midsections is it and is it the small base or the large one?

A very nice ship you've got there Duke! :thumbup:

The curve is very well done, but a bit too curved as said before. But the construction of it is rather smooth!

You have managed to create nice curved shapes in the ship by using rectangular bricks.

The minifigs on board are also very nice. Blackcoats! :pir-wub:

a great MOC! I don't usually use the prefab rigging but other than that brilliant! how many midsections is it and is it the small base or the large one?

Hi, i'm glad you like it! It's two midsections, i'm not sure exactly what you mean by small and large bases, but they are the bases from the Brickbeard's Bounty.

A very nice ship you've got there Duke! :thumbup:

The curve is very well done, but a bit too curved as said before. But the construction of it is rather smooth!

You have managed to create nice curved shapes in the ship by using rectangular bricks.

The minifigs on board are also very nice. Blackcoats! :pir-wub:

Thanks :). I had the blackcoats in mind before I built the ship as I rather like them as well, especially with the gold epaulette :pir-wub:

As far as updates go.. I have some new pictures today:

splash.jpg

A clearer shot of the bow with the black replaced and remodelled by red.

dsc01081.jpg

The incline reduced in the middle so it looks less like it's breaking in two!

Ah it looks great now it's only slightly curved :thumbup:

You could also try to make the red line in the front go more towards the middle (to somewhere over the 1st gunport) and see how it looks.

But this is also very nice, and I also like the figurehead.

Good job!

Looking good... I really love the figure head now that I can see it :pir-classic:

Looks so much better with less curve

A very nice ship Sir :thumbup: The deck seems a bit bare though, maybe you should add a row boat or something.

Overall it looks great, the color scheme is reall good. :pirate:

Edit: I'm really digging the Blackcoats!

Edited by Ratshot

That is a pretty sweet update! The curve looks perfect! :thumbup:

I see a perfect opportunity to add headrails at the bow, I would certainly try that out since it would add even more to this already awesome ship. :pir-wub: