I made a similar post earlier today in the LDD/LDraw forum, and got some good responses, but am afraid I am missing the most important input from Technic builders.

I have not used software in the past, and am wondering if I am missing an important part of building. I think I can add to my builds if I attempt using software, and therefore I would like to get others opinions in what they like best. I don't really work alot in anything else but Technic.... so, other people out there, what are your preferences? I gather that LDD and LDraw are the most commonly used, but I know there is MCAD and others. What are people's preferences?

LDraw is not a program, it is a language. There are many tools you can use to build models using the LDraw library of parts. The most popular for Windows is MLCAD (that's what I use) and the most popular for Mac is BrickSmith. If you are starting from scratch and build mostly Technic models, you may choose SR3D which has kinematic constraints which the other tools don't.

I can't stand LDD. I can't even put two bricks together with it.

I use both LDD and MLCad, and they both have their pros and cons.

In my experience, LDD is far far FAR easier to learn, more intuitive, and way faster.

On the downside, it sucks for making instructions, and the snap feature and constraints can be a nuisance at certain times, but more often than not I find it very helpful.

MLCad allows for a lot more options, as well as a more comprehensive parts library. You can also synthesize hoses etc in it, although I never got the hang of it.

Negative aspect is a dated UI, and you need to read up on it to understand how it works.(there are a lot of really helpful tutorials, but it is still time consuming.

For me the two serve two different purposes. I use LDD a lot when developing a MOC, and I use MLCad/LPub to make instructions after the model is complete.

For Technic builders, LDD can be a very useful tool to make gear trains and transmissions, as well as planning the size of things

I use mostly SR3D Builder - it is based on LDraw and it understands physics so you can build Technic models relatively easily in it. Just it has got one big BUT. Since it's author passed away there are lot of questions about its future. Now I'm using version 0.9.7.3 and I recommend you to use another one - older or newer because this one contains terible bugs.

I also have experiences with MLCad - it is hard to use when you stop building orthogonal. And LDD is useful just for building some smaller Technic concepts like transmissions and so on from my point of view. It is not very usable for complex models and definitely not for creating instructions.

Another good option is LDCad. It's a 'next-generation' LDraw tool like SR3DBuilder, and has many of the same features (like part snapping, easy to build at arbitrary angles, in-built synthesis of flexible parts) but maintains many of the best parts of MLCad (like submodels and the ability to directly specify position/rotation of elements). It is undergoing active development but is very usable in its current state.

The responses you got here and in the other forum are pretty much spot on - there is no "best" package, but different packages for different needs. It's kind of like going to a programming forum and asking what's the best language (or editor) to code in - everyone will assure you that the one they use is the best, but in reality what's best is what you're most comfortable with.

Which software you choose will probably also depend on what you want to achieve. Do you want to document your existing creations? Do you want to prototype new solutions to see if they work before building in bricks? Do you want to create massive projects that you know you'll never have the space or budget for to build in real life? Do you want to make building instructions so that others can copy your work? Do you want to take your models and make photorealistic renders? Animations? All these things are possible, and which of them you want to do should guide your choice.

for me its an important part of building as it lets me play with lego at work.....

then I go home and try things out for real

Great feedback. Everyone. I appreciate it. I need to take some time out and play with each option. I played with Mechabricks a little last night...... pretty cool; also loved the idea that it was online and not software....

nerdsforprez, sorry for jumping in, but I find it is good place and time to get some information on same topic.

Captainowie, may you suggest the software for the following 3 options:

Do you want to document your existing creations?

Do you want to prototype new solutions to see if they work before building in bricks?

Do you want to make building instructions so that others can copy your work?

is it worth registering my sr3d product I got working to day or will I just be giving away money for free

nerdsforprez, sorry for jumping in, but I find it is good place and time to get some information on same topic.

Captainowie, may you suggest the software for the following 3 options:

Hi zux.

I'm afraid it's not quite that simple - I can't say "Use this software if you want to do that", because each software will have strengths in different areas, but most software can be used to do most things, to some extent. Also, I have not used LDD at all, nor have I used any of the instructions elements (stepping, etc) in any of the software I have used. Nonetheless, I'll try.

• Documenting existing creations - Pretty much any of the tools can be used for this. If this is all you want to do, then it might make sense to choose one with a shorter learning curve like LDD.
  • Prototyping new ideas - If this is your primary purpose, then give serious consideration to a tool that can understand connections between parts, so that you're not inserting bricks physically inside other bricks. LDD, SR3DBuilder and LDCad do this. You might also like something that can rotate gears etc in their correct ratios when another gear is rotated. SR3DBuilder is probably best for this.
  • Building instructions - I understand that LDD can automatically create instructions from a model, but I also understand that they're not very good. If you want fine-grained control, then you're going to want to use the LDraw system of tools. LPub is excellent for making the instructions, but the different editors have different ways of dealing with stepping, rotations etc. I'll let someone with experience chime in here

Hope that helps.

is it worth registering my sr3d product I got working to day or will I just be giving away money for free

That depends on whether you want the extra features that registration gives you. If you only just got it working today then you probably don't know yet whether those features will benefit you.

That said, I'm not sure whether sending the money to the registration paypal address will actually result in someone sending you an activation code - regardless, though, I'm sure Sergio's family would appreciate it.

Edited by Captainowie

Then how am I able to use the animation console if I can't get a registration code?

I think you can't...

I don't exactly know how the registration is handled, but if it is just something local and not something that's managed on a license server or something (which I highly doubt), you might be able to use someone else's license.

It's not very honest and fair though, but regarding the circumstance...

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud :sweet:

I think you can't...

I don't exactly know how the registration is handled, but if it is just something local and not something that's managed on a license server or something (which I highly doubt), you might be able to use someone else's license.

It's not very honest and fair though, but regarding the circumstance...

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud :sweet:

do you have a code?

From my own personal experience:

1. Start with LDD, you get a basic understanding of how the whole thing works.

2. Once you've encountered the 'limitations' of LDD (anti-collision, and limited parts collection), you'd want to 'graduate' to something more capable (based on LDraw).

For most, LDD is sufficient as the learning curve is fairly quick, and on the fly 3D view/... etc.

do you have a code?

Yes, I do. I can understand the frustration that it is now impossible to buy the extea features.

But, to me it just doesn't feel very right to, share it with others... :sceptic:

From the software website: "you need an internet connection to activate and use the application since it monthly checks for authorization with the registration server". So eventually, when the domain expires, none of us will be able to use the extra features.