• 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Light Aircraft & Ground Support

Set #: 1808

Year Released: 1995/1996

Piece Count: 114

Minifigs: 2

List Price: $10 (USD)

I was going through some old boxes in the garage and came across this old set that I don't remember buying. It was a promotional set from British Airways and although the box says "Specially Made for Airline Companies", I think I either ordered it from Lego SAH or purchased it in a toy store. Honestly, I don't remember but I know I didn't buy it on an airplane. In any case, I've only built this set once before, so it was fun building again and taking pictures for an EB Classic Town Review.

Starting with the box:

01box1.jpg

And the backside provides images of four alternate models; two boats, a fuel dock with motor boat, and an open airplane. I think it was great for Lego to provide these inspiration models to build something other than the actual set. I miss this with current sets:

02box2.jpg

The set has two different sets of instructions, one for the ground support set, and the other for the airplane:

03instruct1.jpg Ground Support

04instruct2.jpg Airplane

Pictured on the instructions (and back of box) is this alternate airplane with modified wing section. The wings in this picture are under the doors allowing for an open cockpit.

The set had printed parts and also these stickers for the airplane tail/rutter and a no-smoking sign:

05stick.jpg

The set included six tools attached to a plastic ring:

06tools.jpg

And two figs. I love the green shirt with zipper torso:

07figs.jpg

Also contained in the set are two extra 1x1 tiles, a black suitcase, and a black 1x1 round plate:

08extras.jpg

Here's the ground support component of the set:

09ground1.jpg

What I like most is the little Octan gas pump that shows 3.09. The piece is printed:

10fuel1.jpg

A better view of the ground support structure:

11ground2.jpg

And the backside showing the train window with light trans. blue window:

12ground3.jpg

Now, here's the aircraft:

13plane1.jpg

The front section even has a place to fuel up the engine - a great playability factor:

14front.jpg

Here's the nice tail section without the sticker:

15tail.jpg

The top/wings have a hinge piece to allow access to the cockpit. Inside is a printed computer piece and steering wheel:

16inside.jpg

A great feature of the airplane is the use of 1x3 car doors:

17door.jpg

A side shot of the plane:

18plane2.jpg

And the wheels:

19wheels.jpg

Both the ground support and airplane:

20set1.jpg

And the complete set in very nice condition:

21set2.jpg

Hope you enjoy this review. Happy Flying!

Thanks for the review, mind posting a picture from the bottom to see how the rear wheels are built? Is it two separate axles, or is it one 1x4 axle?

Stauder. :classic:

wooo. it's really beautiful! In fact I didn't know about this set.

LEGO sets like this one remind me at my childhood. And I think you should already know it: I love moments like this...

so: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: (:thumbup:)

thanks!

Edited by BerndDasBrot

Thanks very much, never saw this set before! Really cool features, with all the tools and even a fuel pump. :thumbup: One question, it looks like you got this new & sealed, how much did it cost?

Great review. I've been quite enamored of small planes lately. Seems like a really great set with some good parts: shop window, tools, octan brick, etc. Do you know which airlines sold this set when it was new?

mind posting a picture from the bottom to see how the rear wheels are built? Is it two separate axles, or is it one 1x4 axle?

Stauder. :classic:

Here you go Stauder. It uses a 1x4 axle:

22under.jpg

wooo. it's really beautiful! In fact I didn't know about this set.

LEGO sets like this one remind me at my childhood.

Thanks BDB. I like reminiscing myself from time-to-time. This set came after my Dark Ages.

One question, it looks like you got this new & sealed, how much did it cost?

I believe I ordered this set from Lego SAH in the late 90s. It was around $10 (USD).

Great review. Do you know which airlines sold this set when it was new?

Thanks Elif. Glad you enjoyed the review. According to Brickset, it was a British Airways exclusive. Like I said above though, I'm pretty sure I ordered it from Lego SAH in the late 90s.

Great review Brickster. You gotta love those old sets, hey?

Thanks Soccer. Yes, it's really fun to review the older sets (esp. those that you only built once before). There's more coming. :wink:

This kind of aeroplane is my cup of tea. I love such designs, as they are small, easy to swoosh and most importantly it's the kind of design that TLG had produced until recently where bigger passenger planes had been produced. I always love commerical aircraft very much. Whether if it's big or small, its something that every airport will need for different purpose. I will defintely used it for training in Youth Flying Club or some kind of Adventure trip down into the jungle. :tongue:

I had never seen this set before. I am quite sure it's promotional, even though it was released in my dark age. The ground support is simply looks great, with additional tools on the racks for aircraft maintenance. What I loved the most, is the OCTAN printed piece. I had never knew they had printed parts for this. Most of the time, I believed it was a sticker. Thanks for pointing it out, it certainly looks priceless. The spare rotor was placed at the side of the building, make it look awkward somehow. I don't really like it, but I can still live with it. :tongue:

The aircraft is lovely! I love it very much, with that white look and engine revealed at the side of the rotor. Furthermore, it has doors at the side. Just tell me, how many such aircrafts have you seen with doors? :blush:

I am quite surprised that the control panel comes with a printed navigation piece and a steering wheel. Most of the time, it comes with either or, but never both. This is one of the better look small aircraft I had ever seen. I give it a "5". If it ever appeared somewhere in my life, I will defintely get it with no hesitation. :wub:

Excellent review, Brickster. :thumbup:

5. Looks very cool, mid 90's was an okay year for LEGO and that plane's just snazzy. Plus, the No Smoking sign seems to be a funny sticker. Do you make stories for the characters or something? You mentioned liking the green shirt guy in particular.

Now this is a perfect 10!

And for the first time I voted "5". :grin:

Great playability, many details, sweet color choice, right size.

Simply perfect!

Now I

Outstanding, like most of these airline promos were from this time period. I don't know why they only released these well-designed sets as promos. I bought this set MISB from Bricklink last year for not too bad of a price. It's a nice little set, like an expanded version of 6673.

I am quite surprised that the control panel comes with a printed navigation piece and a steering wheel. Most of the time, it comes with either or, but never both. This is one of the better look small aircraft I had ever seen. I give it a "5". If it ever appeared somewhere in my life, I will defintely get it with no hesitation. :wub:

Excellent observation and point WhiteFang. You've got a good eye for the details; and as always, thank you for taking the time to share your constructive comments. I always enjoy reading your thoughts on any particular set.

Do you make stories for the characters or something? You mentioned liking the green shirt guy in particular.

I have not 'DC'. To be honest with you, I've long since forgotten this set. The green shirt guy also appears in the Outback sets. They include crocodiles and other adventures. Usually I write about mysteries though, rather than adventure. Interesting question.

And for the first time I voted "5". :grin:

Simply perfect!

Wow! I feel this set is extra special if Holodoc gave it a 5. :wink: You've been very conservative with your "High Fives", so this set MUST be a great one. I'm glad to see you appreciate its classic quality.

Outstanding, like most of these airline promos were from this time period. I don't know why they only released these well-designed sets as promos. I bought this set MISB from Bricklink last year for not too bad of a price. It's a nice little set, like an expanded version of 6673.

Funny S-8, I thought of you when posting this review because of your avatar. I almost sent you a private message about it. You must like it a lot to have used the decal for your avatar. Excellent! and thank you for your great comments.

6673 is a pretty slick set as well:

6673-1.jpg

You know what i really miss about classic town? The boxes and manuls. No really... I really miss the detail and almost "warmth" of the back ground art work that the late eightes, early neighties had. They really added to even the simplest sets. :classic:

Great review of a great little set!

You know what i really miss about classic town? The boxes and manuls. No really... I really miss the detail and almost "warmth" of the back ground art work that the late eightes, early neighties had. They really added to even the simplest sets. :classic:

Yes, I really agree with you in regard to the boxart of sets likes this 5150. They did have a "warmth". It was the combination of bright vivid colors like blue and green with soft background imagery. The art did not overwhelm the sets, but rather enhance them. Very good point. :thumbup:

Done!

I just made my first trip with the (slightly modified) plane. :classic:

1808-1.jpg

1808-2.jpg

Fly ON!

Nice set I gave it a five as well I like the smaller sets that actually have some playability to them, This set is outstanding I wish TLG would look to the past for some of the insperation for the newer sets, these small planes are neat they could be bought for a song and provided some detail for your layout.......If you have an airport that is.

But it does beg a question? How is it that the rescue helicopter from a few years ago was bigger than the hospital it was suppose to support? And what police force has a pontoon plane?

:laugh:

Done!

1808-1.jpg

1808-2.jpg

Fly ON!

That's great!

Nice job Holodoc. That's pretty close.

I wish TLG would look to the past for some of the insperation for the newer sets, these small planes are neat they could be bought for a song and provided some detail for your layout.......If you have an airport that is.

Yes - I definately agree with you. I wish I had purchased the Airport Legend when released, but I never did.My airport is merely the Outback Airstrip.

But it does beg a question? How is it that the rescue helicopter from a few years ago was bigger than the hospital it was suppose to support? And what police force has a pontoon plane?

Good questions. The plane is esp. large. That's why I like the little planes from the 80s and 90s.

The new Police Helicopter (7741) is pretty nice though and not so large that it dwarfs an airport or police station.

I never knew this set existed. But from the review and pictures it looks like a very nice set, 4/5 from me. I really like the design of the plane.

I didn't know of this set, but it looks like a nice complete ''light plane'' set.

It kinda reminds me of a small airfield for hobby or student pilots.

I voted above average for it.

Great review Brickster, keep it up! :thumbup:

Seems 8 years to late but I just got this set picked up at a toy show today for $2. Thought it was really neat and never saw it before 4/5.

Edited by Fuzzytrexy

Cheers for putting this review up, TheBrickster, although I'm 8 years late :sweet: .

This set was released during my dark ages, but I really like it. Classic LEGO, very few parts needed to create a lovely build.

Edited by Withacee