martijnnab

Prices red #3 32016 and toggle joint 32126 connectors

Most of you might know that prices of the red #3 connector 32016 have risen quite a lot since some MOC's came out that use them extensively.

I recently released also instructions for a Cadillac that uses 25 of them.

http://www.rebrickab...o-biarritz-1959

In the search to find alternatives I thought that the red toggle joint connector 32126 might be usefull, only to find out that these are also outrageously expensive:

Current prices of these part on BL:

32016 red #3 connector: € 4,- each

32126 red toggle joint connector: € 5,- to 6,- each (and you need 2 to compensate for one 32016)

I know the story also counts for some flex axles with even more ridiculus prices.

Isn't there something that we can do to have Lego make these parts available through bricks and pieces. I did ask them once, but got a very neutral response.

Edited by martijnnab

May be lego should do a kick-starter for a Parts pack that would contain just flex axles and connectors .

That way if they sell 100 000 of the sets on kickstarter .

They would cover the cost and make it worth while profit with out taking risk of not selling enough of the sets.

If any one from lego is reading this I spoke to 10 of my lego friends and 10/10 would by more than one of these sets.

Parts I would like to see in the pack .

10 x #3 Red connector

4 x Every length Flex axel in Red.

8 x red toggle joint connector

10k would probably cover it. That is the amount also needs for Lego Ideas. Alternatively, how about a small idea at Lego Ideas that by accident or only uses these parts. I question however if it would actually raise 10k supporter. Not that many people actualy design or build Technic MOCs, but I would love to be wrong here!!

Edited by martijnnab

The toggle joint prices are absolutely ridiculous. Honestly the best thing here is to just be patient as every now and then a bargain emerges and you just have to be quick enough to get it

TLG already had a chance to re-introduce red #3 connector with 42029 set. But they decided to use LBG part instead.

Don't use the pieces in models you are giving out instructions for.

With all those loads of new parts and even new types of parts, it's only natural that there's also a small amount of parts being discontinued. I think if people sell instructions for MOCs, they should take in to account the rarity of the pieces they used.

I personally think it's weird to create and sell instructions for a model that has a large amount of a very rare piece. It makes buyers run into unexpected problems.

Don't use the pieces in models you are giving out instructions for.

With all those loads of new parts and even new types of parts, it's only natural that there's also a small amount of parts being discontinued. I think if people sell instructions for MOCs, they should take in to account the rarity of the pieces they used.

I personally think it's weird to create and sell instructions for a model that has a large amount of a very rare piece. It makes buyers run into unexpected problems.

I don't fully agree with that since we are talking about parts that beign discontinued only in a specific color (um.... why do we think that? because they didn't reappear since some years when the red color became rare anyway and there were one set where they could have used those but haven't for some reason?).

I agree with you if one designs with totally discontinued parts (like this: $_14.JPG) or using many parts that vere expensive even when they were produced and used in official sets (can't think of good examples now).

You can easily check if there are rare parts or parts you don't have before buying instructions, so I don't think "unexpected problems" apply. Maybe rarity of parts should be mentioned, or Rebrickable sould introduce a "now rare" tag on the parts or something.

Edited by Lipko

I think I understand what you mean. The #3 red connector is not rare, it is scarce.

Agree that we should prevent using discontnued parts if possible, but red is just about the only color that has all relevant parts to build a big car (all connectors, flex axles, bushes and all panels). The nr3 is indeed a still active parts, but for some reason TLG decided not to make it in red anymore in their set (instead they make new colors like bright green and new panels like the tapered 19845 and curved panel 18944). Strange choice, but probably driven by increasing spending by people.

Just look at the issues if using another color:

Red: expensive soft axles, expensive nr3 32016 connector.

Black: limited soft axles, expensive bushes, but best alternative to red.

White: limited soft axles, expensive nr 4 connector and bushes, no 1x2 beams (only half-beams) no 32184 connector 3L with 2 pin holes.

Yellow: very limited soft axles, expensive 32183 connector 3L with center pin hole.no nr 4 connector

All colors give a challenge, but luckily I have everything for red so that explains my preference for this color.

Regarding not publishing requirements for odd/rare parts, you may also run into the scenario where a part may not be in limited supply/expensive when you create your instructions, but if you're successful and make something a lot of people want, then you artificially create a price bubble for some parts.

Regarding not publishing requirements for odd/rare parts, you may also run into the scenario where a part may not be in limited supply/expensive when you create your instructions, but if you're successful and make something a lot of people want, then you artificially create a price bubble for some parts.

A process could be buy up not so abundant but inexpensive parts you plan to be in your instructions beforehand. After releasing the instructions, open a BrickLink store to sell the scarce parts. Use the income earned to fund the next big project.

you'd want to be someone pretty well known already to generate enough sales on that front and I recall when *cough* someone *cough* here made a suggestion about crowkillers having done that, the concept was beaten down and disproven quite comprehensively by the MOC master himself.

It's possible you could do it as a business model. but you'd have to make sure you could meet some demand first or you could find yourself and your model boycotted fairly quickly if users could not find parts or weren't willing to use your store to get them.

Edited by bonox

I'm building a moc at the moment that uses a few #3 connectors in red. When it is finished I will have to decide whether I can live without them being red, since most of them are grey stand ins. And if my model's ever get so popular they cause a run on the market, well I don't build them for you to build, I build them for me to build. Use my ideas and make something of your own.

Agree, I know of several parts where just 50 - 100 people wanting to get the parts could already sky-rocket the prices. Not much you can do about that (expect further limiting the parts you use), but actively trying to make a profit out of it would sound like market manipulation and not done. However how do you prevent it....