22kane

What set/sets brought you out of your dark ages?

I'm sure this has been done many times but I'm a new member and I'm curious- what got you back into "collecting" Lego? I know many of you never left the hobby but for those like me it was the Minifigure series. Then the release of Emerald Night and the Maersk set put me over the top. Since then I broke out my collection from the late 80's and 90's and have purchased around 40 or more sets in the past few months alone. I prefer the train stuff but I have dabbled in just about every other line that is currently out including most of the POTC line.

One of the best parts about getting back into Lego was finding this site. It's just been a wealth of information. Also, I wanted to say how great it's been talking with many of you and I really enjoy my time here.

8275 Motorized Bulldozer. I've allways wanted technic motors and universal remote system was something I didnt even dare to hope for, so when I saw it, I decided it's time to go back.

The discovery of eBay's selection and the purchase of a MISB 10159 Century Skyway (no longer MISB) in 2009. Missed it from S@H. From there it was game on default_classic.gif

My mother-in-law got me back into LEGO. She was shopping with my son for his birthday LEGO. My little guy said she should get his dad something too and picked out 4997 Transport Ferry. I don't think my wife has been too happy ever since. :classic:

Technically, it was my old Lego (notably Forbidden Island) that pulled me back out.

I moaned for years at my parents for them having lost my Lego collection...and for some reason, it didn't occur to me to buy new Lego to replace it (I guess it's acceptable to have a nostalgic build of your old toys, but not really acceptable to start buying new!) - I just grumbled every so often about it. We found it when I came to move out, so I apologised(!) and started building.

Once I'd built my old collection up, I started to look for old sets that I'd missed when I was younger and it snowballed from there. After buying some sets without instructions, I found sites such as this - and that's when I realised that the new sets were pretty amazing, and I should branch out a little from the Pirates line.

This was the first set I bought after my dark ages: Sabre Island. It was only a small build, but then I figured that I wanted more!

And my first non-Pirates set was Tower Bridge, which really got me hooked on the big builds.

Edited by Trent

For me it was about 3-4 years ago, and it was honestly just realizeing that LEGO made Star Wars sets. I had no idea.

The first set I actually bought was 7656 general Grievous Starship.

7656-1.jpg?0

It was only 20 bucks. I brought it home and out it under my bed because I didn't have time to build it then. It stayed there and more sets joined it, until eventually I was using half my closet. I didn't want to open any of them, because I figured they'd be worth more. Then one day my collection was getting too big, so I decided to open all of them, and I did. But since I'm a very anal person, they all went into individual zip loc bags, and I kept every single box, except duplicates. Now I build one here and there, and usually it's just to review them. I categorize myself more as a collector than a player, or MOC'er. Although one day I really want a designated LEGO room, and I think I'll start MOC'ing then, and I'll have a pretty nice collection to work with.

Sorry, I kind of got carried away. My answer was Star Wars :laugh:

My husband and I had been noticing LEGO sets for a while and wanted to get some. We bought a few small Indiana Jones sets, but those didn't get us out of the Dark Ages. What did it was two Castle sets, the Drawbridge Defense and the King's Battle Chariot. We were standing in the toy aisle at K-Mart. I saw the two sets and picked them up immediately. I told my husband to tell me to put them down, but he wouldn't. He wanted them too. So we bought them and haven't stopped since! :laugh:

The set that got me out of my Dark ages? It would have to be the 10179 Millennium Falcon. Ever since i saw it on some web sites I was completely fascinated by it, and thought it was just the greatest thing, yet I couldn't bring myself to pay 500 dollars on what I considered a children's toy. And it certainly didn't occur to me that smaller Lego sets would be interesting, so I went without for the longest time, occasionally dreaming about it and adding it to my Amazon shopping cart several times. It really made me think of Lego as something I could be interested in as an adult.

Fast forward to June 2010, I was visiting home after several weeks working out of state, where I had spent time lurking on Eurobricks and decided it was time to try Lego. Sadly, the set of my dreams was gone the month before, and I regretted greatly not getting it, so I went to the Lego store with my wife where she bought me the 6212 X-Wing, and a little over a week later, she ordered me the 10188 Death Star for my birthday. Honestly, I was totally ignited as an AFOL then, and we've spent a lot more since then.

Now one of these days I'll get the UCS Millennium Falcon, maybe I'll buy myself one for finishing my Master's degree? It's just such a difficult expense to justify, so it will have to be for some time in the future.

It was going to the Lego store with my son so he could get a Star Wars set and seeing the new Kingdom's line. It had just come out. :classic:

I Started my "Active" Lego hobby in late 2009 and early 2010 when Pirates line were brought back. I dont remember exactly, but i think it was Shipwrech hideout or Brickbeard bounty wich was my first Lego set bought in years. Ofcourse i had already some pirates 4+ sets bought me by my parents.

Captain Becker

Well I never really had a dark age (I had some megabloks when I was like 3 that we got rid of because they fell in the litter box, but I don't think that counts). My first actual sets I ever got was 7658 Y-wing Fighter and 7655 Clone Troopers Battle Pack for Christmas 2007. A few weeks later I got 7656 General Grievous Starfighter and 7662 Trade Federation MTT. After that my collection began expanding much more rapidly (A set every week or 2 rather than ever month or 2), and now here I am.

It was a few years back.

I was walking through a shopping area, just to go meet someone.

Then I saw the crowny castle and I was sold again.

My last set before that was from the early 90's, Classis Castle theme offcourse.

Tried my hands at SW theme but for me, the possibilities aren't that great like the Castle/Kingdoms theme.

I'll probably end up selling my SW sets...

What got me out of the dark ages was the Lego Minifigures series.

They really appeal to my desire to collect something, so I enjoy having the checklists and checking a minifigure off when I get a new one.

I can't really remember. I had a dry spell from probably around 2004 to around 2008. I don't think I purchased any sets at that time (or at least I can't remember). Then there were two sets, I can't remember which I purchased first; either 10175 Vader's TIE Advanced or 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty which I got both on sale. Vader's TIE Advanced was on sale on Lego's S@H while Brickbeard's Bounty was on clearance at my local Walmart. I wasn't particularly looking for either set but finding these two on sale made me motivated to try and look for more cheap Lego deals. The last 2 years I've bought a crapload of sets (well compared to some of you, it's nothing but it's still a lot).

Some notable sets I have bought since (most, if not all were bought with some sort of discount); lots that I still haven't got around to building. List is in no particular order nor is it a complete list of all sets I have bought since then:

• Green Grocer
  • Fire Brigade
  • UCS Millennium Falcon (bought it ON SALE for less than $200 Canadian, no way I could pay full price for it)
  • Hogwarts Express
  • Emerald Night
  • Medieval Market Village
  • Winter Toy Shop
  • Winter Village Bakery (or whatever it's called)
  • One of each collectible minifigure from Series 1-4
  • Diagon Alley
  • City Corner
  • Shuttle Adventure[/url]

That's definitely not a full list as there are still a lot of other sets I've bought but those are I guess the most "notable".

This year, I also built my first Lego set from parts that were all ordered from Bricklink. I bought all the parts I needed for the 3723 Lego Mini-Figure. It's mostly done except for the arms, where I'm awaiting one last shipment with a few parts I need. Being able to build a set that I first saw back when I was 10 years old in 2000 and wanting it back then, and now seeing it all come together (well almost completely minus a few parts) is just awesome.

Edited by Canada_7

During the summer of 2010, I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. The Dr encouraged me to do hand exercises, squeezing stress balls, etc. I decided to dig out all of my mid-90s sets and put them together. I had always looked at Lego when i was in TRU with the kids, but hadn't bought a set since the initial release of HP and SW, and these were just the impulse sets.

The first sets I bought were Public Transportation, the Passenger Train, and the Airport. A hell of a jump back in, but no reason to ease back in the water.

Interesting to see that a few people have mentioned the Collectable Minifigure series, as they are what got me out of my Dark Age too. As a Minimate fans for many years, the fact I could buy just Lego minifigs in 16 different styles from the supermarket during my lunch break, well, I bought more than a few, and here I am.

Interesting to see that a few people have mentioned the Collectable Minifigure series, as they are what got me out of my Dark Age too. As a Minimate fans for many years, the fact I could buy just Lego minifigs in 16 different styles from the supermarket during my lunch break, well, I bought more than a few, and here I am.

I think the minifigure collections have really brought many people back to Lego. Many adults love collectable items and most of us were amazed at the detail compared to the figures we had as children. Now with the increased distribution numbers on the minifigure sets I'm sure we will be seeing many more new members here in the very near future. I mean really, how can you just stop with the figures, the new sets are just too cool to pass up.

The set that brought me out of my dark ages was the 8448 Super Street Sensation.

The wheels on that set are some of the best technic wheels of all time IMO.

My Dark Age began around 1986 or 87, when as a teen I became too "grown up." I would still bust out the bricks and build from time to time, but nothing serious. I was aware that there were some remarkable sets out around that time and would think how cool it would've been to have that set a few years earlier. In '95 I inherited a large collection from my older brother who had continued collecting. This didn't really bring me out of my LEGO Dark Age though. The set that ended my Dark Age was set 7144-the first Slave 1, in 2000. Being a life-long Star Wars fan, more importantly a HUGE Boba Fett fan, this set was a dream come true. I bought it without hesitation the moment I found it and have been collecting relentlessly ever since.

Unlike most of you, I left Lego in my teens for more than 20 years. It was only 3 years ago when I bought the Road Construction Set 6187 for my son, when I regained interest while building models for him.

A few months after that, Toys R Us in Singapore held a massive sale with many sets going for 50-55% off. I ended up spending about US$200 on a couple of city and technic sets, and the more I built, the more I fell in love with Lego again.

Good think I was never a star wars fan, otherwise I'd be spending way too much money on Lego. :laugh:

Edited by redryder