Any Apple fans?

Are you an Apple fan?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. do you like apple products?

• I completely love them
    • I like them
    • I have no interest in them
    • I do not like their products

Does anyone in the forum consider themselves as major Apple fans?

I am a huge fan. We have 3 Macs, 1 MacBook, 6 iPods and 2 iPhones in our family of 5. I am always reading up on the latest news about upcoming products and reading about patents. I always watch their keynote speeches on their website and I am eagerly awaiting January 27th because of their rumoured keyote which my show off the rumoured Apple Tablet.

Edited by Roncanator

Does anyone in the forum consider themselves as major Apple fans?

I am a huge fan. We have 3 Macs, 1 MacBook, 6 iPods and 2 iPhones in our family of 5. I am always reading up on the latest news about upcoming products and reading about patents. I always watch their keynote speeches on their website and I am eagerly awaiting January 27th because of their rumoured keyote which my show off the rumoured Apple Tablet.

I have a iPod Touch 32 gig, MacBook air and I had an iPhone

I am the antithesis of an Apple fan.

They are anticompetitive, and they (well, their manufacturers) have been known to break chinese slave labour laws.

All that doesn't bother me half as much as the fact that people seem to be caught up in the apple-hype, and believe things which simply aren't true. Their products, while good, are have nowhere near the god-like qualities that people paint them to have, and many argue that apple is better when they simply do not know the other products on the market. A classic example are the people who complained about the lack of driver compatibility with, for example, Windows Vista when it was released, but Apple is much worse at supporting old hardware/software (eg change to USB with original iMac, change to OSX and change from PowerPC to Intel architecture).

I wanted an iphone ever since they came out but AT&T sucks and they never had 3G coverage in my area, luckily I saw the light and the Droid replaced my iphone fantasy.

otherwise I personally hate apple computers, they are worthless in my opinon, but their ipods are great, although with more and more advanced phones, I never use my ipod anymore.

All that doesn't bother me half as much as the fact that people seem to be caught up in the apple-hype, and believe things which simply aren't true.

You're my favourite person of the day! :tongue:

I wanted an iphone ever since they came out but AT&T sucks and they never had 3G coverage in my area, luckily I saw the light and the Droid replaced my iphone fantasy.

Are you happy with the Droid? If it comes to Australia ( :hmpf: ) I'm considering getting one.

... I am eagerly awaiting January 27th because of their rumoured keyote which my show off the rumoured Apple Tablet.

I am totally stoked about the release of the iPad. I finally get the PADD from Star Trek:TNG! :classic:

Are you happy with the Droid? If it comes to Australia ( :hmpf: ) I'm considering getting one.

It's awesome, I never owned an iphone so I can't technically compare it.

But in my eyes it does everything I wanted the iphone to do. The screen is brilliant, I love having the physical keyboard as a backup, plus you can get emulators on it so you can play SNES games. It's simply the coolest phone I've ever had. I cam from a blackberry, and my BB looks like a corded phone now.

I am eagerly awaiting January 27th because of their rumoured keyote which my show off the rumoured Apple Tablet.

I'm interested in this as well. Currently I use a Netbook for that kind of stuff, but obviously a tablet would be better. I'm not convinced that Apple is actually bringing one out though. The CrunchPad was looking quite nice for a while (JooJoo :wacko: ) and excited many people so if Apple brought out something similar it could be a huge hit.

It's simply the coolest phone I've ever had. I cam from a blackberry, and my BB looks like a corded phone now.

You've sold me! I was all for the Pre, but more and more I think Palm is dead. :cry_sad:

I'm a big Apple fan. Though I don't have a lot of Apples, I can't stand working on Windows or any other system. I love the feel and look of Mac Os, and of course the computer itself (I've got a Mac Mini) is so cute. I don't think Macs are godly or perfect, nor of course right for anybody, but they're what I've always been on and I can't think of having a non-Mac computer. I do occasionally use Windows in certain places, and I really don't like it.

One of the biggest reasons for me that I love Mac is Final Cut, which is what I edit on. Final Cut is an excellent program that is only for Macs, and since I am extremely comfortable in Final Cut for editing I would not think of switching to a different editor at this point (I may learn Avid in the future).

You can love it or hate it or be indifferent, but I gotta have a Mac.

You've sold me! I was all for the Pre, but more and more I think Palm is dead. :cry_sad:

The Pre vs the Droid phone is like comparing a Lexus and a Rolls-Royce (Droid is way better)

As for Apple, I love iPhone and iPods but I'm not too sure about Macs. I know they're good for media and such, but I don't think they are better than a PC at anything else.

BTW, I have a 2G iPod Nano in pristine condition :tongue:

Edited by prateek

I am very into Apple products. No I'm not a fanboy, and yes, I realize they do have flaws, but they do everything I need to do well, and I prefer their interface. In our family of four, half of the computers are Macs, and we have three iPods.

Edited by Ricecracker

I wouldn't consider myself a fan, in fact I've never used one as my main computer, but I do have a soft spot for their design, and I have used one as my desktop at work for a few months.

I was a professional coder for ten years, starting on Windows 3.0, and got very jaded at the falling quality and hype surrounding MS products. Apple avoided some of the pitfalls that MS had by restricting their hardware a lot more which allowed better testing and hence reliability. I dont really buy the Apple is more intuative, because I dont find it so, though my expectations might be broken by my many computer sytems since the early eighties. I do think they have a more consistant interface then MS/other windows software in general.

In the end I've never really made the jump to complete Apple fandom because the price per performance has always been higher for Apple computers, and I've made a philisophical move to free software, so I currently run Kubuntu (I also happen to prefer KDE as a desktop). I have toyed with the idea of running Kubuntu on Apple G3 hardware but there really is no longer any point to that.

I have added a poll just to make it a bit easier to see what you guys think

I've had two iMacs, two Powerbooks, a g4 tower, three iPods and an iPhone in my life, and currently am very happy with my iMac. It lets me play and create in a way I can't easily on a PC. If I were a gamer or a business person, I'd use Windows, but I'm not, so I like Macs.

The only product I haven't been thrilled with is the iPhone. The camera is absolute crap, the roaming fees are ludicrous, and Apple is fascistic in locking apps. I'm in Japan, and can't get English language app downloads because I'm forced to use the Japanese app store. You can't even download free apps, because you need a credit card to make an account. I basically use my iPhone as an iPod, and occasionally as a phone. It's an overpriced piece of crap.

The iMac is fantastic, in price, design, usability etc, and highly recommended.

All that doesn't bother me half as much as the fact that people seem to be caught up in the apple-hype, and believe things which simply aren't true. Their products, while good, are have nowhere near the god-like qualities that people paint them to have, and many argue that apple is better when they simply do not know the other products on the market.

I used to like Apple as a kid in the late 80s and early 90s, and I can still respect the products and technologies they had back then, but I wouldn't touch any of their modern stuff. :tongue: Apple was once at the forefront of consumer PC technology in many ways (as is obvious from comparing many Mac games of the time to DOS games), but they had fallen behind by the mid 90s. They eventually changed their whole focus and started to target a different sort of audience, giving up trying to innovate technologically and instead becoming a purely marketing-driven company.

I think that Apple stuff is well made but badly and/or unimagineitively designed and is hugely overpriced. Never been a fan and don't think I ever will be. I try and keep an open mind and watch out for their new products with interest but nothing they have done has managed to sway me.

However, my wife loves her iPod and her iPhone...... Each to their own I guess!

Cheers

Rog

Not me. For me, Apple + Final Cut = win. Apple + all else other then graphics processing = fail. Sorry if that's biased, but that's how I feel. Apple products are very overpriced for what they are. Some people also tend to think owning a Mac puts them into some elite few.

My girlfriend had an iPod and it was in a semi-perpetual state of malfunction. Eventually the forward button broke. We got her a Zune HD. She's happy now!

I've always had 'alternative' MP3 players and have enjoyed them more. As far as audiophiles are concerned, the iPod is lacking in sound quality.

Throughout the years, I have had: a Sharp Minidisk , then a Rio 300, followed by Rio 800, then a Samsung Yepp 55, then a Sandisk Sansa m200, then a Sansa e280, followed by a Cowon S9. Phew! That last one I am particularly fond of.

All the "Macs are overpriced" complaints are way off base. They are very close to the price of comparable P.C. hardware, and basically the same when you consider the soft Mac bundles in its machines. The company makes a point of not offering low-end products, they simply take them off the market, and it helps establish their brand. A company like, say, BMW, doesn't offer low end products either, they let other Dell-type companies corner that market.

If you look at the monitors, the memory, the speed, etc etc, the hardware itself is usually about 20% more than a comparable PC. At that, the software and the crisp design makes it a completely reasonable price, or at least nothing to make a fuss about... or are MegaBlocks that much better than Lego for the price? :look:

Edit: A quick google search of "apple not overpriced" brings up this, and a host of other articles

http://www.pcmech.com/article/is-the-mac-overpriced/

All the "Macs are overpriced" complaints are way off base. They are very close to the price of comparable P.C. hardware, and basically the same when you consider the soft Mac bundles in its machines. The company makes a point of not offering low-end products, they simply take them off the market, and it helps establish their brand. A company like, say, BMW, doesn't offer low end products either, they let other Dell-type companies corner that market.

If you look at the monitors, the memory, the speed, etc etc, the hardware itself is usually about 20% more than a comparable PC. At that, the software and the crisp design makes it a completely reasonable price, or at least nothing to make a fuss about... or are MegaBlocks that much better than Lego for the price? :look:

Edit: A quick google search of "apple not overpriced" brings up this, and a host of other articles

I'd probably agree with you for pre assembled systems, but I tend to want to buy particular components, and then build the system myself. That combined with the fact I use Linux, so I dont pay for my OS or any of my applications, makes Apple, like most other computer manufacturers, more expensive. I do recognise that I trade my time for the saving in money, but since I worked in the industry, I already had most of the knowledge needed anyway, and always enjoyed actually designing and building systems. I would feel I've failed if I couldn't build a machine that performed 50% better for my needs than an Apple for the same price, though I haven't built a machine since the power PC line died.

Also as you've admitted there is about a 20% markup on Apple systems, which covers their software, design and testing etc, all reasonable costs, but clearly many in the PC world don't place any value on design and reliability, so they perceive that they are being chaged more for nothing. If it were not so there would be far fewer very shoddy PC builders around (I deliberately don't use the words system designers).

You claim Apples are not too expensive, I claim otherwise. We are both correct. Thats why these issues tend to be called religious issues in the tech world. In all these sorts of issues the result depends on the users needs and values. Anybody who claims any brand of computer is best in all posible circumstances is a blind zealot and is best ignored.

You claim Apples are not too expensive, I claim otherwise. We are both correct. Thats why these issues tend to be called religious issues in the tech world. In all these sorts of issues the result depends on the users needs and values. Anybody who claims any brand of computer is best in all posible circumstances is a blind zealot and is best ignored.

Well, I personally wouldn't claim it best in all possible circumstances. People who assemble their own computers are definitely a minority of the public (like people who fix their own cars), but I think they can serve their own needs better than a packaged Mac. Those people tend to be a bit more overrepresented on forums though.

You and your "iPhone Killers" :tongue:

My real thoughts on Apple are that it is a cool brand.

ipod is the best music playing device created, the only thing that can top it, would be a new ipod :tongue:

The Mac Computers are ok, I like the Macbooks, they are really good.

Some of the DIY pricing in that article makes no sense. I had gotten a 2.66ghz Core 2 in summer 2007 (and was running it at 3.6ghz) for $30 less than the price they quote for a 2ghz one in April 2008. I think the price differences between Apple and other OEMs might not be that big, but when it comes to Apple and DIY it's quite another story, especially if you also take performance into account.

Mac prices have been dropping the last couple of years. But they are still at the high end of the market and they will always stay there.