Sign in to follow this  
SNIPE

How to get the Bricksmith unofficial parts library to work (in Mac OS)

Hi,

This afternoon I was looking at the cool 'unofficial parts library'.

They looked good on the website but when I opened them in Bricksmith I kept getting: 'Bricksmith couldn't find all of the pieces in this file. The following are missing: s\name.dat'.

I opened one file and realized why this was, it's because all of the internal paths in each file had an '\' in them when it should be an '/', replacing all of them allows Bricksmith to find the path to the specified subparts. (located in the 's' or 'p' directory).

So for example, if the subpart path is 's/name.dat' or 'p/name.dat', the program look in either the 'p' or the 's' folder, then for 'name.dat'.

Now, the problem was editing these thousands of files, so I found a program called textmate and when I went back the parts opened fine with no errors and had no changes to the file extension. I'm using bricksmith but other programs that rely on the LDraw library should work fine too such as MLCAD, SR3D builder and so on.

Here's how to fix this:

For Windows:

1. Download the unofficial parts library and extract 'LDRAWUNF.zip' file to your LDraw folder. In that folder you should now have these folders: 'LDRAW' and 'LDRAWUNF' ('LDRAW' should already be there as default).

2. in 'LDRAWUNF', then 'parts' Find the 's' subfolder then cut and paste it onto the desktop.

3. Download 'E-Texteditor' (this is 'textmate', but for windows). After installing, open it and go to 'file', 'open'.

4. Locate the 'parts' folder in 'LDRAWUNF' and in the parts folder select all of the dat files and hit 'open'. (there should be nothing but .dat files in that folder since we moved the 's' folder).

5. Goto 'edit' and click 'find and replace', then 'find in selection'.

6. Type in the 'search' bar '\' (with no quotes) then in the bar next to it, type in '/' (with no quotes) and hit 'all'

7. Go to 'file', 'save all'.

8. Now go ahead and cut & paste the 's' folder back into the 'parts' folder (in 'LDRAWUNF'

All or most parts should now return no errors when being opened, any errors that do show up are because the file is probably missing even with this fix, and probably means that the part is not fully coded.

***NOTE*** the official 'parts' and 'p' folder should not need to be touched for this fix.

For Macintosh:

1. Download the unofficial parts library and extract 'LDRAWUNF.zip' file to your LDraw folder. In that folder you should have these folders: 'LDRAW' and 'LDRAWUNF' ('LDRAW' should already be there as default).

2. in 'LDRAWUNF', then 'parts' Find the 's' subfolder and move it onto the desktop (make sure it is moved not just duplicated).

3. Download 'Textmate' then after installing. goto 'file', 'open'.

4. Locate the 'parts' folder in 'LDRAWUNF' and in the parts folder select all of the dat files and hit 'open'. (there should be nothing but .dat files in that folder since we moved the 's' folder).

5. Goto 'edit' and click 'find', then 'find in project'.

6. Type in the 'find' bar '\' (with no quotes) and hit 'find'.

7. In the 'replace' box, type in '/' (no quotes) and hit 'replace all'

8. Close the box and go to 'file', 'save all'.

9. Now go ahead and move the 's' folder back into the 'parts' folder (in 'LDRAWUNF')

All or most parts should now return no errors when being opened, any errors that do show up are because the file is probably missing even with this fix, and probably means that the part is not fully coded.

***NOTE*** the official 'parts' and 'p' folder should not need to be touched for this fix.

Perhaps if you put the both p both s and both parts folder content's in one folder there would be even fewer errors after doing the above fix but then the official parts can get messed up from what ive seen when trying, youll have to manually tell your program where to find the folder for the parts to be loaded.

Hope this helps people with this issue and here are some before and after photos:

vfieee.png

5tz7f7.png

fxyx6t.png

Edited by SNIPE

Thanks for the guide.

Indexed.

If you want, you can add some image and formatted text to make the you post appear as the guides we usually create.