slovakiasteph

MOC: Appalachian Trail shelter

indexed.gif B-OV-33E

I guess this belongs in Town... the subtitle is "The world we live in," so I think it fits!

However, one of my other hobbies is hiking, and I'm obsessed with the Appalachian Trail. Since I like to combine hobbies as much as possible (and that's very possible with LEGO), I wanted to try building something to correspond with that. This is my first nature MOC... first time trying to build rocks. It's quite out of my comfort zone as I usually create buildings.

I wanted to represent a shelter on the Appalachian Trail. It's a 2,185 mile trail that runs from Georgia to Maine, and many people try to thru-hike (hike the entire trail) over the course of a summer.

lego_065.jpg

Shelters provide a place to sleep for those who don't bring tents. Some of them have bunks, as does this one, and a sleeping bag unrolled inside. Two backpackers have arrived and have unpacked their bags. Also, one is boiling some water with his camp stove.

lego_054.jpg

Another thru-hiker is arriving!

lego_063.jpg

A couple of day hikers stop to admire the spring.

lego_069.jpg

lego_056.jpg

Thanks for looking!

This is a great little scene. I was unaware of the Appalachian Trail. I've heard the name, but never knew it's length. That would be quite a journey to walk the whole thing. Your first nature MOC looks very nice. The little spring and rock face are nice.

Excellent rustic looking structure 'slovakiasteph' :thumbup: , the hills are alive with the sound of.....Lego being built ! :grin:

You did a great job on the shelter's texture! And the spring is a very nice detail. Very well done overall. It's a very neat scene. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

I might go hiking to the Appalachian Trail soon as part of my college's orientation activities. :grin: You just got me more excited. :tongue:

Thanks a lot, everyone! This was a fun build and I enjoyed the escape from the usual.

I might go hiking to the Appalachian Trail soon as part of my college's orientation activities. :grin: You just got me more excited. :tongue:

That would be so much fun! I was hoping to do a 3-day hike later this summer, but it doesn't look like that will happen. Would you be backpacking or hiking?

That would be so much fun! I was hoping to do a 3-day hike later this summer, but it doesn't look like that will happen. Would you be backpacking or hiking?

I wasn't aware that they meant different things until you asked and you brought it up. :tongue: It'd be hiking + camping, so backpacking, right? :classic: I'm sorry things didn't work out. Do you hike there often?

I wasn't aware that they meant different things until you asked and you brought it up. :tongue: It'd be hiking + camping, so backpacking, right? :classic: I'm sorry things didn't work out. Do you hike there often?

Yes, hiking with all your camping gear is backpacking.

I've done a lot of hiking, but I haven't been out to the AT yet, unfortunately, just looked at loads of pictures. It's a 7-hour drive from where I live.

Some of this years city sets, particularly the forest police ones seem right up your alley.

Nice, I’ve slept in couple of those over the years. :classic: My middle brother hiked the whole trail back in 2000. :thumbup:

Most of the one's I've stayed in are like this one:

dscf0586.jpg

Edited by Rook

Yes, hiking with all your camping gear is backpacking.

I've done a lot of hiking, but I haven't been out to the AT yet, unfortunately, just looked at loads of pictures. It's a 7-hour drive from where I live.

Oh, I see! Must be an amazing experience. Have you ever done the complete trail?